• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

0/3 on sticks last night and humi issues

rx2man

Banned
So last night go down to the local B&M, sticks are usually really good. I've smoked a La Flor Dominicana 3 times there already and all were nice. Last nights was too wet. Dont know iif it was new off the truck, did not ask, but tunneling issues, and harsh.

No problem will go home and have the El Ray Del Mundo Choix Supreme with a July 2011 box date and 24 hrs dry boxing. Have had it a mo or so. Was told not to get into it yet by the guys at Cigargeeks but could not help myself. It was not very good. Not smooth etc.

So went to my humidor and grabbed RP 1990. It was awful as well no flavor, really off. Wrapper was starting to come apart I did notice the humi was at 58% RH. Explains why it tasted so different than previous ones that were all over humidified.

This brings me to my question. I looked at another humi today its about a 150 ct and is full, it is also at 58%RH. Has 2 small 2 oz gel jars. Probably another 6-8 humi pillows.

The other humi probably only has 30 sticks in it. i think its a 100 ct, its the Bally 2. Its also at 58% with a extra large HF tube and a humi pillow.

I know I need to get the sticks up in RH and I know I need to do it slowly. All the humidors started out pretty good and have slowly over time continued dropping in RH. All were seasoned correctly.

Do I pull everything out and stick em in coolers? Should I just stick the Bally in a cooler and let it slowly adjust?

I have moved away from the wood humis as they are all a PIA and am just using coolers now. They hold the humidity so much better.

Not sure what to do with everything in the large humi though. I dont think I can stick it into a cooler.

I know this is common knowledge, and I searched for answers just not sure how to proceed.

Check the seals. When was the last time you added water to the beads etc?

beads are all good, so are the pillows thats the strange thing. I was told by another person to just throw in a shot glass of distilled water for a day or 2 and keep doing that every once in a while. I dont know how the seals are. I assume I then need to empty it and do the flash light thing then.

the Bally 2 seems to have a good seal and I even did Elmers glue around the glass to seal it better, worked it in good and wipped off the extra. Glued the hygrometer in.

The other is a 3 drawr, seems like a good seal. But I dont know. All the sticks were put in abotu the same time so were probably on the wet side. its taken time for them to slowly lose excess moisture end get down to 58% RH where it seems to stabilize.

Dollar test the seals. As for everything else..I don't know. Sounds weird. Maybe you open them too much. I dunno.

If you glued your hygrometer in, how do you change the batteries?

What batteries, I was wondering why that analog gauge never moves, f'n batteries, dont forget to check the blinker fluid........lay off the Spam killa I got this.

Dollar test the seals. As for everything else..I don't know. Sounds weird. Maybe you open them too much. I dunno.

I wrapped the POS in syran wrap before heading out to work. Came back 10 min later and had gone from 56 to 57. Its a glass top so I dont have to open it too often. I am affraid its too late to return it. All my wood humidors are in garbage bags or coolers. The Bally has been in a cooler since last night and is now up to 66. The others in garbage bags are at 64-66. Is why I have 8, 48 qt coolers now. I got tired of the POS wood humidors.

What batteries, I was wondering why that analog gauge never moves, f'n batteries, dont forget to check the blinker fluid........lay off the Spam killa I got this.

:laugh: How you know I love me some SPAM? Actually, I was raised on that, Vienna Sausage, and sardines.

Reason I ask about batteries is I assumed you were using digital hygrometers to form a baseline of your RH problems. Think your problem is because analog hygrometers are not accurate and you're getting false readings.

:laugh: How you know I love me some SPAM? Actually, I was raised on that, Vienna Sausage, and sardines.

Reason I ask about batteries is I assumed you were using digital hygrometers to form a baseline of your RH problems. Think your problem is because analog hygrometers are not accurate and you're getting false readings.

Aloha Bruddah of the leaf,

I am just playing, You are in Hawaii, the only reason we even have Spam on the mainland is cause enough is eaten in Hawaii for them to keep making it LOL!!!!!!!

Again just playin. Not using the analog cause as you said not accurate. Correct am using digital hygrometers. They are good to go. Its the POS wood humis I got that are worthless in AZ. The one in particular is in cooler now and reading 66% RH in 12 hrs. F'n worthless humidors.

In Hawaii you probably got to put rice in the humidor to dry the bugger out. I got to wrap mine in plastic to keep it wet.

Got married on the Big Island. On the beach in a Aloha shirt and cut off dockers, no shoes. Wifey in Sarongs, just the 2 of us. Was a really great time. Hawaiian style with koa wood bowls etc. 1 week on the Big Island and 1 week on Waikiki. Did not want to leave. Plan to go back in 3 yrs to renew vows for the 10 yr!!!!!!!

Glad to hear the islands could give you and your wife a nice wedding backdrop, you are correct, I can get too much humidity if I don't watch where I store my cigars. I don't even add water to my beads. :p

As for the loss of humidity in your desktops, sounds like the wood isn't properly milled to form a tight seal around the lip. Does it "woosh" a little when you drop the lid from about 2 inches? I know you said the humis both started off properly seasoned.

The one that does drop down sorta does the "woosh". But its all good now in the cooler. I am going to leave it there. I dont have enough patience to screw with it anymore. The other has 3 drawers, may have been user error. I added a large foam humidifier to it with the 50/50 and its now up to 64%. Its a pretty good size one so may just need more humidity period. I got some gel jars today at the local B&M that I will switch to. Seeing it go back up put a smile on my face.