• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Matching Glasses with Spirits and Beers.

MadMonk

Of course, since joining CP, I've expanded my samplings of differant Spirits and Beers. I have heard, for many years, that certain glasses
will bring out the best in a particular Wine, Whiskey, Beer style, etc.
I never blew it off, but never took it real seriously either. Besides, I would rather spend my money on the drink than the vessle.

A few years back, I was trying differant Rums, and I bought a bottle of Barbancourt 15 yr old Haitian Rum. I non-ceremoniously poured some into a glass and my first sips reminded me of kerosene. It was hideous.

For some reason, I did think of glass styles and did a little research.
Turned out that the most convincing article spoke of a highly flaired glass which had as fairly small diameter base, and flaired out to approx 4 inches in diameter at the rim. I poured some Barbancourt in it, tasted, and the differance was amazing. This got my attention. So now, I try differant glasses with a new bottle.

One thing that has become clear to me is that, for my palate, the general rules, or suggested glass styles have not brought me the most enjoyable results.

I bought a bottle of Black Maple Hill Bourbon, and poured it into a "Bourbon Glass" This is a fairly small diameter tulip sort of affair.
It wasn't real impressive. I then tried a wide glass, approx 3 inches in diameter by 3 inches tall. Again the differance was amazing. Much sweeter and smoother. In both cases, I have repeated the options, and had consistent results.

I am also convinced that how my schnozz interacts with the glass makes a huge differance. I.e., does my nose go into the glass or not.

I thought it might be fun to hear what glasses other folks like to use for differant libations. This could get interesting, and of course, fun. All these hobbies demand that we get the most enjoyment for out money and efforts. Caro Saludo!

I'm in the land of a different shaped glass for every kind of beer. I didn't think the glasses would make a difference, but after drinking out of the bottle at the hotel and now having several glasses to choose from, there is a difference. The beer was way too fizzy out of the bottle and just didn't taste right. Pour it into a glass and you get that nice head and it fizzes out a lot. Totally different flavor, imo. So now I'm a big fan of glasses and am building up a collection. I don't think the specific glass matters as much. I just have my favorites that I use most of the time.

Duvel-Designers.jpg

I'm using the one on the right tonight. My other favorite is the one from Gordon.

68-0-extra-large.d9839e8394821e832c397dcd21ccada7.jpg

The shapes of the glasses help with drinking even when there is a lot of head on the beer, too. It just gets out of the way.

I can't say that I notice a big difference with whiskeys, but I may have to pay more attention from now on.

About wine I would tend to say yes there is a match to be made when you really want to get the full experience (on top of letting the bottle breathe before drinking it).

But as far as my experiences are concerned I never tasted a notable differences between glasses (maybe I never had the good glass with the good beer who knows). Now spirits, for cognacs there is definately an obligation to use some sort of tulip or ballon glass to get the full taste and smell but I never found that was the case for scotchs (I'm more of a old fashion heavy type of glass for those).

Now that you guys bring up the subject I'll keep an eye open for the glasses next time I try a beer/spirit.

EDIT: spelling and a little grammar

I have to agree with MadMonk, I generally like my whiskey in the "wide" glasses or what I guess is technically called a tumbler. But from what I've read (not tried it yet) the Glencairn Glass is probably the best glass for most whiskey drinkers short of true enthusiasts. Any thoughts?

I have to agree with MadMonk, I generally like my whiskey in the "wide" glasses or what I guess is technically called a tumbler. But from what I've read (not tried it yet) the Glencairn Glass is probably the best glass for most whiskey drinkers short of true enthusiasts. Any thoughts?
The bottle of whiskey I just bought came with glasses like that. I didn't know they were a specific type, though. Interesting.

gallery_3866_104_81952.jpg

Just checked (by filing it with whiskey, of course) and they are Glencairn glasses. "The Glencairn Glass" is etched in the bottom so that you can read it when looking down into the glass. Considering I got these for about $4 each with the bottle, that makes this purchase even better! Thanks for the info as I would have had no idea what I had. :)

As for drinking, I don't really notice any difference. My big schnozz isn't fitting into the glass to sniff up aromas. The glass has a nice weight to it and, well... I can drink out of it.

I used to use a rocks/ high ball glass.Then I got a set of glencarin glasses use them alot now. Will have to run a test tonight , havent noticed any difference.
Time to break out the Pappy :D

Don

I have a pair of Glencarin glasses also. While I like them I continue to favor the tublers as my go to type of glass for scotches. I dont knwo why but I would point to the 'open nose' they have and the better experience while smelling the precious liquid.

About wine I would tend to say yes there is a match to be made when you really want to get the full experience (on top of letting the bottle breathe before drinking it).

Good point here, but on the same token the mistake a lot of people make is just simply opening the bottle and assuming that this is accomplishing anything as far as letting it breathe. The idea behind letting a wine breathe is letting the oxygen come in contact with the wine and letting it open up the complexities in the wine. Now if you think of how much wine comes in contact with the air when you uncork a bottle...it isn't really a significant amount of surface area for it to make any difference. If you really want to let your wine breathe before you drink it, get your hands on a nice decanter, the difference will really be noticeable. If you don't want to store a decanter or feel like springing for a nice one, the Vinturi wine aerator is pretty awesome and decants by the glass. :thumbs:

edit: Just wanted to add that I didn't want it to sound like I was saying you were wrong, louich, just adding another POV.

Good point here, but on the same token the mistake a lot of people make is just simply opening the bottle and assuming that this is accomplishing anything as far as letting it breathe. The idea behind letting a wine breathe is letting the oxygen come in contact with the wine and letting it open up the complexities in the wine. Now if you think of how much wine comes in contact with the air when you uncork a bottle...it isn't really a significant amount of surface area for it to make any difference. If you really want to let your wine breathe before you drink it, get your hands on a nice decanter, the difference will really be noticeable. If you don't want to store a decanter or feel like springing for a nice one, the Vinturi wine aerator is pretty awesome and decants by the glass. :thumbs:

I have been using the Venturi aerator for a while now. I use it most of the time, as I usually don't drink a whole bottle at one time. So using my decanter isn't always the best option. One thing I used to do before I had my decanter was to pour the wine into a large glass bowl, let it sit for a bit, then use a funnel to pour the wine back into the bottle. Yeah, I know it sounds pretty funky, but it does about the same as a decanter.

I just picked up one of those Glencarin glasses and tried it, kinda interesting when drinking from it. Not sure if I like using rocks glasses or this one better, will have to do some additional testing...

Venturi for the win ! Portable and very suprising as far as letting the wine breathe. My GF got one for her birthday and at first I was not that confident in the product (used to put wine in a decanter by default so). but once I tried it I can tell my decater is feeling lonely these days!

I just picked up a box of 6 "Duvel" Beer glasses. Got them for a real decent price. Should be fun to see how they do with their namesake beer.

Wifey got this set for me for X mas. i have not really experimented with the different ales/lagers and their glassed, maybe now I will

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18465779

Glassware set has a glass for the most popular varieties of beer. Set includes a 15 1/4-ounce classic pilsner, 20-ounce English pub glass, 16 1/2-ounce Belgian ale glass, 20-ounce craft pub glass, 14 3/4-ounce porter-stout and 23-ounce wheat beer glass. Dishwasher safe.

I use these for scotch most of the time. (Ravenscroft)

152-w5475.jpg

And I use these for bourbon (Riedel)

6408-77.jpg

I have those same Bourbon Glasses. Every onjce on a Blue Moon, Target places the Riedel Glasses on Clearance.

I typically use either the Glencairn or Johnson Whisky Tot.

I use a Riedel Single Malt glass most of the time.

If I'm standing or walking around I use a large brandy snifter because they are easier to hold and the larger glass helps reduce the dreaded splash out.

I'm not a huge fan of the Glencairn glass due to the tiny opening and the size of my nose.

Interesting, I am going to have to give this a try and to see if I can taste a difference.