• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Panacea Black Label Natural

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
I'll apologize up front if this comes off at all pretentious. I've rarely, if ever, experienced cigars the way many of you have -- but this one was a glaring exception. I've smoked a lot of cigars I've liked before, but I can honestly say that this is the first cigar I've smoked that I wished never ended. The disappointment of last night's KFC was redeemed by the natural offering of the Black Label, which I believe is Panacea's original blend (I could be wrong, but I seem to recall him saying that in the KFC review video). Here's their description of it:

"Cuban seed Seco, Ligero, Olor Dominicano, and Nicaraguan highlights make up the interior. Binder is Dominican, finished with a Connecticut wrapper. Strength is mild to medium, with a very full body. A Torpedo is a fantastic shape; burns cool and smooth without the huge ring size at the head. This cigar is exquisite. You will love this smoke. A torpedo is a very comfortable shape to smoke."`

I can't find the exact vitola dimensions of this stick on their website, but I'd guess it was a 6 x 56 torpedo. Very well constructed, as all the Panacea/Flatbed cigars I've received have been. Packaging upon arrival was the same as all: four cigars wrapped tightly in bubble wrap, inside a ziploc with humidity pack, inside a branded burlap sack.

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

I straight cut the torpedo with a Xikar Xi. Perfect cut with no loose filler. Prelight draw was sweet, which set the tone for this smoke. It lit easily and burned crisp and almost razor straight the entire hour-plus I enjoyed it.

IMG_1827.jpg

As the cigar started to burn, I noticed that the ash was kind of loose. It wasn't flaky, but it was noticeable. Still, it held on for as long as I dared. When I ashed it the first time, it came off with no resistance. Throughout the entire "first act", if you will, the draw was still smooth and cool... and very flavorful.

IMG_1826.jpg

The first third produced leathery notes, but not strong and overly odorous. It was a sweet, light leather taste. I can honestly say that this was a complex smoking cigar experience, and I'm not just trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about -- because, admittedly, I don't! This cigar really grabbed my attention, though. It gave tastes of leather and floral distinctly. The tobacco nuances were like that of sniffing a box of cigarettes, in a way. Certainly different than the regular, bold, cigar tobacco taste and aroma. Even my wife said that this particular cigar smelled different to her, and not in an unpleasant way.

As it moved into the second third, I got several VERY strong tastes of raspberries on the draw. Very reminiscent of cracking open the box on the 2011 Puff n' Stuff MFLB. It was a mild cigar but, again, very flavorful. I wish I would have written down some notes as I went, as there was a lot going on with this one. The second ash was much tighter than the first, and it held on for dear life when I attempted to ash it off.

IMG_1829.jpg

The final third was possibly the most interesting. For a few straight draws, I got BEER. Unmistakeable beer. It tasted like a crisp pils, as crazy as that sounds. It produced a lot of smoke, both on the draw and resting. The funny thing about it, though, is that it didn't leave me smelling like smoke. I have a full three-month grizzly beard right now, and I barely smell it at all in my mustache and nostrils. Hardly any lingering smell on my fingers, as well.

About halfway through the final third, the flavors stopped. There was a pretty good ash on it, and the draw became very airy and clean. It was like sucking in air. There was still smoke, but no real meaning behind it. I took the third ash as far as I could, and it was only at this point that it needed a slight touch up. Once I ashed and touched it up, the sweet leather came back in force. I held on as long as I could until it started burning my fingertips, but then I had to ditch it.

IMG_1833.jpg

It got dark out, so the last photos aren't great. Sorry. I can't tell you how or why this cigar was so remarkable for me. Maybe the Panacea Black Label is a remarkably complex cigar. Maybe I just lit up something special. I don't know. I'm not as versed as most of you are; I just don't get the amazing palate complexities that everyone talks about all the time. I did tonight, though. I'm really looking forward to smoking another one of these and seeing if I get the same experience. If so, I'm going to hunt down William, get us in the rare same place at the same time, and force you to take one on your next walk down to see what you think of it. :) I wasn't even really planning on doing a full review of it, but I had to after the impact it made on me. I'd love to hear anyone else's take on it if you've ever smoked one (even if you say you have no idea what I'm talking about and it was the worst thing you've ever smoked).

**I'm not sure how many more of these photo-laden reviews I can do, because Photobucket is being a dick and really, really trying my patience...**

Sounds like something I will need to try. Thanks for the review. Getting a little risqué with leg in some of those pics;)

Good job. The Black Label is my favorite of all the Panacea offerings.

eta: I could be wrong, and it may not be the case anymore, but I think these are made by Henke / Davidoff.

Last edited:
Can't wait to try this one. I have had my eye on the pack I bought for a few weeks now.

Sounds like something I will need to try. Thanks for the review. Getting a little risqué with leg in some of those pics;)

Let me know when you are off again. I'll save one for you. :)

Usually when I get home from work, I change, take all that stuff off, and wobble around on crutches. I didn't even have *that* motivation in me last night. After greeting the family, I just grabbed the cigar, a drink, and my Kindle and plopped myself down outside.

Excellent review. I smoked a perfecto last week and it was en excellent mild/medium smoke. It has a very pleasant sweetness throughout. One I will make sure to have available at all times. I've got to pick up some torpedos and give them a whirl.

When Rod was offering up the samples for review, I had the black perfecto then and I recall enjoying it as much then as now.

I'll admit it. While looking at your photos and noticing that you were wearing shorts... I was more focusing on the fact that the highest temp I've seen in two months is something like 41 degrees.

While reading your review I couldn't help but think to myself that you're one lucky dude.

That being said, I had to reread your review and it's fair to say that I too will be purchasing a 4 pack! Great review and lucky you for living in year-round shorts weather ;)

Nice review of a great stick!

Let me know when you are off again. I'll save one for you. :)

Usually when I get home from work, I change, take all that stuff off, and wobble around on crutches. I didn't even have *that* motivation in me last night. After greeting the family, I just grabbed the cigar, a drink, and my Kindle and plopped myself down outside.

I guess I never paid much attention to your avatar signature. I'm not very observant.

I guess I never paid much attention to your avatar signature. I'm not very observant.

Ha. The best part, aside from the parking, is that I have at least a built-in 10 minutes of question and answer if I ever find myself needing to stretch time with a bunch of school kids at work... :)

Glad to hear others have enjoyed this cigar, too.

They are good cigars. If you haven't tried the Red version yet, do so. I find the Red's to be better than the blacks.

I'll have to grab a 4-pack of the Reds, too. Thanks, Rod.