• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padilla Series '68 Robusto

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
What a beautiful day. The temperature gauge on the back porch is reading over 80, and with the sun shining directly on my right side, it feels even warmer. I decided to pour a small snifter of Cao Ila 18 to accompany the smoke.

Stick number six has a smooth, dark brown wrapper with one prominent vein, and not a great deal of oiliness to be noticed. The weight feels good in the hand and only a slight give when squeezed. I punch the cap and draw is perfect with a faint taste of cocoa and moist earth.

Fire to the foot and burning good, I take several draws and exhale to get past the initial “power stage”, and then take a good draw. There’s a very good pepper spice on the back of the throat. A ton of smoke is produced and is a good medium in body. I take a sip of the Cao Ila and then draw some smoke right behind and the flavor is simply excellent tasting smooth and creamy peat, roasted nuts, caramel, vanilla, and a cocoa undertone. Oh yes, very nice. The finish is excellent as well with a particular smoked flavor that I believe is coming mostly from the scotch.

Midway in and the cigar is still performing strong. A sweet maduro flavor is coming through with cocoa and roasted nuts. There’s a delicious finish that’s lasting on the palate. The smoke is a good medium body with a perfect spice, and the burn is sharp with a strong medium gray ash forming. A salty sweetness remains on the lips after taking a draw and is very good.

Towards the end, the spice is really kicking and very good I might add. The sweet maduro flavor is still there with tastes of roasted nuts and caramel with a delicious lasting finish. The burn has remained sharp throughout with a strong ash and tons of smoke produced from the perfect draw.

This was a very good cigar with sharp burn and lots of flavor. The finish was long and lasting on the palate, good even after putting the cigar down. I would definitely pick up more of these.

02-08-09Jladastick5001.jpg

02-08-09Jladastick5002.jpg

02-08-09Jladastick5003.jpg

Your review is pretty much spot on with my experience from this smoke. I really enjoy these cigars. Thanks for the review!

I just purchased 2 of these in a sampler but they are Toro's I wonder if there will be any difference in the smoke, but after reading this it looks like it will be a pleasurable smoke thanks for the review looking forward to mine.
Josh

Great review on a great stick Greg! I love the robustos as well. I have a 5'er of toros now and while not quite the same as the robustos are still a pretty decent stick!

Don

Greg, do you know if these are the original blend Padilla made (sans cello) before Pepin started rolling it? Or was it the Pepin blend? Or possibly the new Padilla blend, after leaving Pepin? I heard his newest blend for the Miami is reverting back to the old blend, his original blend, before he used Pepin...who essentially altered the blend a bit. I'm still waiting for those to ship so I can see the difference.

I'm an absolute lover of the original Miami robustos! Even though it seems everything Pepin touches turns to gold, Padilla had that blend down pat before. Too bad they are almost impossible to find anymore (that is except if you look in my cooler!) :whistling:

Thanks for the review...as always.

Greg, do you know if these are the original blend Padilla made (sans cello) before Pepin started rolling it? Or was it the Pepin blend? Or possibly the new Padilla blend, after leaving Pepin? I heard his newest blend for the Miami is reverting back to the old blend, his original blend, before he used Pepin...who essentially altered the blend a bit. I'm still waiting for those to ship so I can see the difference.

I'm an absolute lover of the original Miami robustos! Even though it seems everything Pepin touches turns to gold, Padilla had that blend down pat before. Too bad they are almost impossible to find anymore (that is except if you look in my cooler!) :whistling:

I was under the impression that the '68 was never made by Pepin, but made in Honduras by Tabacalera Aguilar. The 1948 however, was made by Pepin in Nicaragua. I am not sure if the line has ceased. According to the Padilla website, neither are a product (I assume no longer in production). BTW, the few I have had from both lines were quite tasty.

ETA: Nice review, again.

I was under the impression that the '68 was never made by Pepin, but made in Honduras by Tabacalera Aguilar. The 1948 however, was made by Pepin in Nicaragua. I am not sure if the line has ceased. According to the Padilla website, neither are a product (I assume no longer in production). BTW, the few I have had from both lkines were quite tasty.

ETA: Nice review, again.

I was told a couple years ago that Pepin collaborated with Padilla on the Miami blend. Padilla produced some cigars before that had happened, and once they went into business together, Pepin took over production of the cigar (rolled it in El Rey De Los Habanos). This info was given me by a local B&M cigar consultant and his sales manager. I also know that I have spoken to more than a few people on this matter before, confirming what I am saying...that still doesn't guarantee that I'm right, though. Anyways, now talk is going around my local B&M about how everyone is excited Padilla left, because he is continuing his original blend in his new factory.

Does anyone know any info on this matter? I'd really like to know.

I enjoy both quite a bit, but the original ones without cello are much better IMHO.

I was told a couple years ago that Pepin collaborated with Padilla on the Miami blend. Padilla produced some cigars before that had happened, and once they went into business together, Pepin took over production of the cigar (rolled it in El Rey De Los Habanos). This info was given me by a local B&M cigar consultant and his sales manager. I also know that I have spoken to more than a few people on this matter before, confirming what I am saying...that still doesn't guarantee that I'm right, though. Anyways, now talk is going around my local B&M about how everyone is excited Padilla left, because he is continuing his original blend in his new factory.

I enjoy both quite a bit, but the original ones without cello are much better IMHO.

The original what ones? The Miami? I thought you were referring to the review cigar of Padilla '68 being a Pepin roll. It's not Pepin, but either rolled by Tabacalera Aguilar or Flores, both in Honduras. I don't know if the '68 blend has changed, but some have double bands and some only one. Not sure about cello. Mine have double bands and cello.

You are correct that Pepin developed and rolled the original Miami 8&11 (along with Signature 1932 as well as the limited oscuro, Obsidian, Achilles, and the 1948.) You are also correct that Padilla had lines before meeting with Pepin, the Hybrid and Maduro rolled by ASP Enterprises in the DR (linked here). I don't think Pepin took over any Padilla lines, rather he and Ernesto created all new ones, while existing lines like the Hybrid later went to Oliva Cigar.

Now, the Miami (without 8&11 designation and a redesigned band) is under Ernesto's full control, being rolled in his own Miami factory. Here is a link comparing the two. Some of the comments at the bottom of that review support what you're saying about the Miami blend staying the same.

I really enjoy the 1948, Serie '68, (original) Maimi 8&11, and love the Signature 1932, but could care less for the rest of the lines. I have yet to try a new, non-Pepin Miami.

Greg, did this have a double band a la Padron Anny, and cello or no?

Good thread, posts like these really help me, and I am sure other newbs flowin' in..

Thanks for share'n, that was a great post!!

The original what ones? The Miami? I thought you were referring to the review cigar of Padilla '68 being a Pepin roll. It's not Pepin, but either rolled by Tabacalera Aguilar or Flores, both in Honduras. I don't know if the '68 blend has changed, but some have double bands and some only one. Not sure about cello. Mine have double bands and cello.

You are correct that Pepin developed and rolled the original Miami 8&11 (along with Signature 1932 as well as the limited oscuro, Obsidian, Achilles, and the 1948.) You are also correct that Padilla had lines before meeting with Pepin, the Hybrid and Maduro rolled by ASP Enterprises in the DR (linked here). I don't think Pepin took over any Padilla lines, rather he and Ernesto created all new ones, while existing lines like the Hybrid later went to Oliva Cigar.

Now, the Miami (without 8&11 designation and a redesigned band) is under Ernesto's full control, being rolled in his own Miami factory. Here is a link comparing the two. Some of the comments at the bottom of that review support what you're saying about the Miami blend staying the same.

I really enjoy the 1948, Serie '68, (original) Maimi 8&11, and love the Signature 1932, but could care less for the rest of the lines. I have yet to try a new, non-Pepin Miami.

Greg, did this have a double band a la Padron Anny, and cello or no?

Thanks Brandon, that is very, very good input. I also did the research and have found the same/similar evidence as to what you are mentioning and have checked Padilla's site.

I'm going to have to contact that cigar consultant and see if he knows where he and his boss got that info from. I know I'm not the only one who has thought that Padilla's 8&11 Miami blend was originally rolled under just Ernesto's own influence...until Pepin started rolling it....then somehow it got modified. That is the only question I have now about this situation. Did that actually happen? That would make 3 blends/versions just for the 8&11 robusto then. Pre-Pepin, Intra-Pepin, Post-Pepin. LOL

I know alexgtp knows a lot about this too. I know we have had many conversations about this exact topic, and we were always on the same page????

Lets just go to Calle Ocho and talk to Ernesto himself Brandon! I wish his store was open last summer when I went, because I guarantee you I would have asked this question!

P.S. Sorry for the lax language in my previous posts above....I always meant the 8&11 Miami blend. Sorry for the confusion.

These are not bad smokes IMHO. And the good part now that Pepin is gone from the picture is that they can be had in bundles on Cbid reasonably cheap.

Thanks a lot for this review! I've been wondering about the 68 and the 48 is it? I know the 1932 is getting a ton of talk lately.

I'll have to go search these out my friend. Thanks :thumbs:

-Aaron

Thread jack*****

Has anyone smoked a Padilla Habano as of late? I found a review from 07, but I'd like to get updated thoughts on these sticks.

(Sorry bout the threat jack King, I didn't want to waste starting a new tread for a response or two..I hope you don't mind)

From what I remember. When we spoke breifly at the RTDA show.

Ernesto's blends are:
Padilla Habano (Tabacalera Oliva) Nicaraguan blends
Padilla Maduro (Nicaraguan,dominican and honduran made in D.R?)
Padilla Hybrid (Nicaraguan,Dominican)

Padilla 48
Padilla Series 68 (Nicaraguan)

** Padilla Miami (formerly 8 and 11) Now ernestos Blend

Pepins Blends:
Padilla Miami 8 and 11 (Made in ERDH factory Florida) Nicaraguan blend
Padilla 1932 (Made in ERDH factory Florida) Nicaraguan blend

These 3 cigars were made to honor the Padilla Heritage.
Padilla 1932 (to honor Herberto Padilla birth year) released 2006?
Padilla 1948 (Year Herbert published his first Book)
Padilla 68(Year Herberto published his book speaking out on the Castro's Goverment.)

I purchased a 5er on Cbid b/c of this review, and I am in the process of nubbing one of the 5er. I really liked this cigar, mostly a medium bodied with great flavors (that were described to a T in the initial review). I may even pick up a box of these...i'm ont sure yet! Great cigar, that's for sure!

-Aaron

Just so everyone knows, Greg reviewed this cigar completely blind. This is one of my favorites sub-$5 go to sticks. Truly an unspoken hero of the Padilla line.

Nice review Greg. I've only had one of these and loved it. I'm fast becoming a fan of Padilla smokes, particularly the 1932, a consistently delicious smoke if you can handle the price tag. Now I have to get my hands on the new Miami, and the 1948.