• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

OR Anejo #49

Comparison shots. Real OR on the right. Fake on the left.

Great shots. I didn't think cello should be that yellow after 10 years. I wonder what was used to do that and if the cigars are even safe to smoke.

Keith

Just significant exposure to light can yellow cello in a very short time. I have seen cigars a month old sitting out with cello piss yellow because of how they were stored.

So would that indicate improper storage on a young cigar? Or is cell color inconsequential?

While it is true that photochemical reactions can make many plastics appear significantly older than they are through yellowing, in my experience it's generally a uniform discoloration. Seeing the way that the cello in those pics is so spotty is indicative that these were removed and somehow treated with a material that would cause the yellowing itself or at least act as a catalyst for the reaction. Whatever process caused it certainly did not happen when the cello was on the cigars.

Great shots. I didn't think cello should be that yellow after 10 years. I wonder what was used to do that and if the cigars are even safe to smoke.

Keith

Just significant exposure to light can yellow cello in a very short time. I have seen cigars a month old sitting out with cello piss yellow because of how they were stored.

So would that indicate improper storage on a young cigar? Or is cell color inconsequential?

Not necessarily. Since in this case the cello clearly had cigars moved in and out many times there is no telling where that cello came from or if it was yellowed by exposure on its own, without the cigars even inside. Although i would say the oily staining on the cello vs just discoloration would indicate something was in there. Obviously age can also impart discolored cello (I am sure you know that Keith I am just being clear) but it can happen quickly under the right environmental circumstances. I bet dollars to donuts there are conditions to speed up wrapper shrinking and band staining too if someone really wanted to go all out.

Also solid post Basil.

Keith

Not necessarily. Since in this case the cello clearly had cigars moved in and out many times there is no telling where that cello came from or if it was yellowed by exposure on its own, without the cigars even inside. Although i would say the oily staining on the cello vs just discoloration would indicate something was in there. Obviously age can also impart discolored cello (I am sure you know that Keith I am just being clear) but it can happen quickly under the right environmental circumstances. I bet dollars to donuts there are conditions to speed up wrapper shrinking and band staining too if someone really wanted to go all out.

Also solid post Basil.
The "looseness" of the band is one of the first things I noticed in the comparison photo's that involved the trusted CF'ers sticks. I have always considered the loosening of the band, combined with the "dullness" of the wrapper to be a good and reliable indicator of age........am I misguided? In my experience, AF bands are pretty tight and one of the more difficult to remove when young.

I would never think about posting an email exchange between me and a customer but on June 4th I received an email from a "D. Scott":

Howdy Eric, I am searching for a box of La Gloria Cubana Wavell and Minutos but want some with age. I have seen these with a little yellow cello and should have picked them up but didn't! Can you check your humi and see if you have these with some age on them? Much appreciated, David (smokinj)

I told David I could not find any aged La Glorias with yellow cello on them. His response:

Hi Eric, I got hooked up with some old LGCs from a BOTL over at Asylum. Thank you for keeping an eye out for me bro. I am in search of a Litto Gomez Diez 2008 Chisel Puro empty box. Believe it is mahoganyand a good bud of mine wants one for his new disply case. Also wouldn't mind some of the cigars too! Much appreciated, David

I started reading this thread and the "smokinj" name kept on ringing a bell for me. I went back and checked some old emails and found those I posted above. I know it doesn't really help with all the problems already created, but figured it might shed some light on the "yellow cello" thing.

For the retailers on the board, Moki's scumbag list is worth checking out. A few years back there was a Mark Martinez in Warren, OH that made a couple purchases from us. His last order he asked if he could send us a money order. We said yes, shipped his cigars and never heard back from him. I checked his name on the internet and found the scumbag list. There he was. Funny thing is he tried to order from us a couple years later. I recognized the name, asked if he was going to pay for the items we shipped him years ago (he did pay that), and told him I could not ship cigars to him anymore.

Thank you,
Eric

Jack Schwartz Importer
141 West Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604

888-733-5225
freematches@jackschwartz.com

I would never think about posting an email exchange between me and a customer but on June 4th I received an email from a "D. Scott":

Howdy Eric, I am searching for a box of La Gloria Cubana Wavell and Minutos but want some with age. I have seen these with a little yellow cello and should have picked them up but didn't! Can you check your humi and see if you have these with some age on them? Much appreciated, David (smokinj)

I told David I could not find any aged La Glorias with yellow cello on them. His response:

Hi Eric, I got hooked up with some old LGCs from a BOTL over at Asylum. Thank you for keeping an eye out for me bro. I am in search of a Litto Gomez Diez 2008 Chisel Puro empty box. Believe it is mahoganyand a good bud of mine wants one for his new disply case. Also wouldn't mind some of the cigars too! Much appreciated, David

I started reading this thread and the "smokinj" name kept on ringing a bell for me. I went back and checked some old emails and found those I posted above. I know it doesn't really help with all the problems already created, but figured it might shed some light on the "yellow cello" thing.

For the retailers on the board, Moki's scumbag list is worth checking out. A few years back there was a Mark Martinez in Warren, OH that made a couple purchases from us. His last order he asked if he could send us a money order. We said yes, shipped his cigars and never heard back from him. I checked his name on the internet and found the scumbag list. There he was. Funny thing is he tried to order from us a couple years later. I recognized the name, asked if he was going to pay for the items we shipped him years ago (he did pay that), and told him I could not ship cigars to him anymore.

Thank you,
Eric

Jack Schwartz Importer
141 West Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604

888-733-5225

Mystery solved!

Thank you,
Eric

Jack Schwartz Importer
141 West Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604

888-733-5225

Mystery solved!

That is absolutely awesome information Eric! Thank you!

So the cellos aren't even Anejo!! I would put a laughy face here, but....

Okay, so who's brave enough to put that brown gooky stuff on their tongue and taste it?? I'm betting it's Pepsi or Coke!! Still not putting the....ah hell.....:laugh:

That is absolutely awesome information Eric! Thank you!

So the cellos aren't even Anejo!! I would put a laughy face here, but....

Okay, so who's brave enough to put that brown gooky stuff on their tongue and taste it?? I'm betting it's Pepsi or Coke!! Still not putting the....ah hell..... :laugh:

Yea...figured they weren't from the get go...I mean how many real OR cellos can one come by?

So...you're the reviewer...review!!!

The cello definitely isn't for Anejos. Some of them are significantly thicker than others, some have much longer tails than others, none of them seem to actually fit the cigars, and there is no uniformity amongst the different sizes.

The goop crap I can't see coming from aging either. If it was, I doubt it would be on the complete outside of the cello. On one of the 48's I was sent, the whole cigar is sticky on the outside as well....definitely indicative of some foreign matter.

Eric, thank you for the post, definitely sheds more light on the situation and methods of the scumbag.

Edit to add: Knowing what I know now, and the signs the cigars exhibit, I wouldn't advise smoking them.

Thank you,
Eric

Jack Schwartz Importer
141 West Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604

888-733-5225

Mystery solved!

Not completely as I think he was dying them on top of being yellowed.

Just to protect Jack a bit (Since I'm sure he doesn't want any attention on him in case it goes negative). I don't know that he was insinuating that the cellos were in fact non-Anejo cellos, just that SmokinJ seems to have a "love" for yellow cellos.

While I agree, if different thinkness and length, they probably are not, just looking out for Jack here.

The cello definitely isn't for Anejos. Some of them are significantly thicker than others, some have much longer tails than others, none of them seem to actually fit the cigars, and there is no uniformity amongst the different sizes.

The goop crap I can't see coming from aging either. If it was, I doubt it would be on the complete outside of the cello. On one of the 48's I was sent, the whole cigar is sticky on the outside as well....definitely indicative of some foreign matter.

Eric, thank you for the post, definitely sheds more light on the situation and methods of the scumbag.

Edit to add: Knowing what I know now, and the signs the cigars exhibit, I wouldn't advise smoking them.

heh... I have to laugh... reminds me of the street hawkers in Thailand trying to sell me "real Rolex!!!" and trying desperately to convince me that the crap they are selling is real.

It's almost sad that this guy thought he could get away with this.

Thanks for the info from Eric @ JackSchwartz... very true that if he'll screw buyers, he'll screw retailers too (or use them as unwitting accomplices).

Just to protect Jack a bit (Since I'm sure he doesn't want any attention on him in case it goes negative). I don't know that he was insinuating that the cellos were in fact non-Anejo cellos, just that SmokinJ seems to have a "love" for yellow cellos.

While I agree, if different thinkness and length, they probably are not, just looking out for Jack here.

From Eric's post, it appears he is stating the facts that are in front of him.

The other item in this thread...like the wrapper info that has been posted and photo's shown, can lead one to state that the cello's are not OR.

No it is very apparent he was looking for base material. Already yellowed sleeves so he could ply his trade.

I don't think anyone would read into it more than a scammer seeking material to scam the innocent.

Mystery solved!

Yea...I wouldn't exactly call that 'dying'...though if you happen to get a whiff.... :(

At least we know part of the 'how'.

Oh yea...the Cigar Asylum admins are aware of the issue.

I was hoping someone would bring that to their attention. I was planning on emailing the admin, Tom, over there to let him know. I'll get in touch with him and let him know what I know.

I definitely didn't want to make it look like I was saying the cello on the Anejos was from some La Gloria smokinj picked up. Just thought it was interesting he was looking for some aged cigars...not only aged cigars, but aged cigars with, hopefully, a little yello cello. The only other emails I've received about aged cigars with "yellowing" is for Davidoffs. The aged La Gloria Wavel and Minuto request struck me as a little strange.

Eric

Mystery solved!

Yea...I wouldn't exactly call that 'dying'...though if you happen to get a whiff.... :(

At least we know part of the 'how'.

Oh yea...the Cigar Asylum admins are aware of the issue.

I was hoping someone would bring that to their attention. I was planning on emailing the admin, Tom, over there to let him know. I'll get in touch with him and let him know what I know.

I definitely didn't want to make it look like I was saying the cello on the Anejos was from some La Gloria smokinj picked up. Just thought it was interesting he was looking for some aged cigars...not only aged cigars, but aged cigars with, hopefully, a little yello cello. The only other emails I've received about aged cigars with "yellowing" is for Davidoffs. The aged La Gloria Wavel and Minuto request struck me as a little strange.

Eric

Davidoff cello for "OR Opus" maybe?

Jim

The other item in this thread...like the wrapper info that has been posted and photo's shown, can lead one to state that the cello's are not OR.
I actually gathered from Jack's post not that he was looking for "Yellow Cellos", but rather he associates "Quality and good age" with yellow Cellos. If he was solely looking for yellow cellos to complete deals like this, I doubt he would limit himself to only asking for 1 particular line of cigar. He would instead seek out any and all yellow cellos.

I am not defending what went down or David/John/whoever.. I am looking out for Jack because as a retailer, he shouldn't get caught up in potential drama in case shit hits the fan simply because people assumed he meant one thing when he never really came right out and said what he meant. He was just passing along information.

Given that after I posted that Jack posted this: "I definitely didn't want to make it look like I was saying the cello on the Anejos was from some La Gloria smokinj picked up", it seems I was right in stating he was not insinuating what the cellos were or that they came from that specific cigar.. he just found it interesting. I do as well.

No it is very apparent he was looking for base material. Already yellowed sleeves so he could ply his trade.

I don't think anyone would read into it more than a scammer seeking material to scam the innocent.
I am having a hard time determining if you are simply stating that he was looking for yellow cellos to scam the innocent or if you are actually borderline calling me a scammer seeking material to scam the innocent.

I actually gathered from Jack's post not that he was looking for "Yellow Cellos", but rather he associates "Quality and good age" with yellow Cellos. If he was solely looking for yellow cellos to complete deals like this, I doubt he would limit himself to only asking for 1 particular line of cigar. He would instead seek out any and all yellow cellos.

I am not defending what went down or David/John/whoever.. I am looking out for Jack because as a retailer, he shouldn't get caught up in potential drama in case shit hits the fan.

I am having a hard time determining if you are simply stating that he was looking for yellow cellos to scam the innocent or if you are actually borderline calling me a scammer seeking material to scam the innocent.
This has nothing to do with you. Best to stay out of this....

I haven't had any symptoms yet, Jake, but now I'm concerned. (I would post an emoticon but I'm far from any joking mood). I'm not necessarily as concerned with what he used to color the wrappers, if they weren't just aged from other smokes, but what he did to tarnish the bands. Like I've said, most of mine are yellow, some much more than others.

Anyway, I'm gonna post some pics of a Project X from Planet 9 he sold when I get home. I was going to last night, but the evening did not go as I had hoped. Moki made a comment about looking at the back of the band, so I pulled it off and low and behold it had a burn/scorched spot. The SOB actually took it from a smoked cigar. It's not that noticeable from the front, but jumps out and screams when you pull it off. Pics will come later.

Lee

Edit to add bolded part.