• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I am appalled!

PJ the Comic

Official Illusione Whore
I just finished watching a video on CA website. Mott and Savona go and rifle around in the humi to find some aged sticks.HERE! They pick a few and go back to an office to smoke them. At that point they take a couple puffs on a 10 yo stick and then set them down to fire up another 15 yo stick.
First I am appalled that a connoisseur would not smoke an entire cigar.
Secondly I have a skewed view of this mag now anyways from reading things around here, but seriously, aged cigars discarded after a few puffs. What, does this mean they simply throw them away? Perhaps they smoke them later? I sure hope that folks that are fortunate enough to enjoy aged cigars on a regular basis give them the proper respect by at least smoking them down.

An appalled noob!

Many of the reviews are done after very little of the cigar has been smoked. I thought everyone pretty much knew that, but I guess not. I think they've come out and said it themselves many times. It's a shame, as the first bit of a cigar can be very different than the middle of a cigar or the last third or so.

CA is a cool magazine to browse through, but I don't trust their reviews any more than I trust my 7 year old's reviews of the dinner I put in front of him every night.

Kinda like just putting only the tip of your d*ck in and then announcing, "YUP definitely good stuff! Okay, whose next?"
laugh.gif
ohmy.gif

Hell, I didn't know that. This really dampens my respect for their reviews.

That's why I dumped my subscription a few years back...it's like the MAXIM of cigars...just enough info to bait you in and then very little substance to the article once you get through the 5k of ad pages to get to the story.....

I have not really gotten into their reviews and no longer intend to. I think the open forum way we do it here and other online sources provides a lot more depth than a single review(er) could, let alone after 1/5th of the stick.

Kinda like just putting only the tip of your d*ck in and then announcing, "YUP definitely good stuff! Okay, whose next?"
laugh.gif
ohmy.gif

I love it! Awesome analogy Dave.

I could never waste cigars like they do, but then again, I don't have the same access they do either...

The amount of advertisements turned me off to them as well. Their reviews seemed superficial and the first 3/4 of the magazine are about things I'll never buy or people who I have no connection with. The interviews with cigar makers I liked that was about it. Not worth a subscription for that IMO.

It must be nice to have enough money to be able to waste $25+ sticks for no reason, whenever you want too. That is absolutely ridiculous, I feel bad on tossing a curly head before it's time has come and they can suck in some nice lighter fluid for 3 minutes and toss the cigar, then move to the next? No wonder they are able to have 70 reviews in one magazine, who has time to actually enjoy a cigar now a days? Someone pour me 3 fingers of Johnny Walker Blue, I'll take a sip and pour it out, then hook me up with something else I can't afford, so like real Aficionados I can pour that too. Piss on that, if that's how real Aficionados work, I'm more than happy staying a noob for the rest of my life. Greg, on top of the utmost respect I have for you and your reviews, this has given me just a little more appreciation for your dedication to the leaf.

If you're only going to smoke the first 1/4 inch, why even bother? Pathetic waste. :angry:

"A gentleman only smokes half of his cigar"

Zino Davidoff.

I guess you can figure where that leaves us.

Doc.

That's why I dumped my subscription a few years back...it's like the MAXIM of cigars...just enough info to bait you in and then very little substance to the article once you get through the 5k of ad pages to get to the story.....

I too read maxim for the...um...articles... ;)

Zino Davidoff.

Spoken like someone who wants to sell more cigars.

Sort of reminds me of the very dire warnings that Daisy puts on containers of BBs--"DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER REUSE A BB OR YOUR GUN WILL DEFINITELY AND IMMEDIATELY EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE, DISFIGURING YOU FOR LIFE, AND LEAVING YOU A HOPELESS SHELL OF A HUMAN BEING AND NO CREATURE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO TOLERATE THE SIGHT OF YOU MUCH LESS LOVE YOU" or some such thing.

Zino Davidoff.

Sort of reminds me of the very dire warnings that Daisy puts on containers of BBs--"DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER REUSE A BB OR YOUR GUN WILL DEFINITELY AND IMMEDIATELY EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE, DISFIGURING YOU FOR LIFE, AND LEAVING YOU A HOPELESS SHELL OF A HUMAN BEING AND NO CREATURE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO TOLERATE THE SIGHT OF YOU MUCH LESS LOVE YOU" or some such thing.

I thought you were banned? :laugh:

Zino Davidoff.

I thought you were banned? :laugh:

My Neuticles screen name was banned, but Ron let TGM slide.

So I take it this forum in not a fan of CA, though its very subtle I must admit. Thank goodness I read it hear they do not really smoke too much of the sticks. Though to be fair, rating based on construction, draw, looks and a few other things I am sure do have merit. We all have different tastes so how can we expect to get much from the taste review. It nice to read, but could be worthless. Just playing devil's advocate a bit.