• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Commercial Flights and all to the island

Don't you still need a "reason" to be there or is it just grab the passport and go?

You still need a "reason." But I know of a couple people who have gone, and said it's fairly easy to come up with a reason. And if you keep good records of what you're doing during your trip, you should be fine. John would probably be able to better speak to it, though.

When you purchase the ticket online it asks you if you qualify for one of the 12 reasons to travel. At the ticket counter they ask "What is the reason for your travel"? Even though they had my wife and kids Cuban passports in hand we had to tell them "Family Visit". You could also find a Church, assist mass, make a donation with $$$, medicines/food/clothes supplies, take lots of pictures of the church and of you and the priest and any other members (choir, alter boys). Get the physical address/names and tell Tio Sam you're on a humanitarian visit. John

Last edited:
Top 5 churches in Havana:

1. San Cristobal de la Habana Catedral
Plaza del Catedral, Old Havana
Mass is at 10:30 am

2. Russian Orthodox Church (Built 2008)
San Pedro Street, Old Havana
Across from Sierra Maestra Terminal

3. Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de la Merced
Merced and Cuba Street

4. Iglesia del Sagrado Corazon
Avenida Simon Bolivar #463

5. Iglesia del Angel Custodio
Avenida de las Misiones and Cuarteles Street

Many of these are Neo Gothic or Barroque style buildings and were built in the 1600-1700's. Plenty of pic ops. Class dismissed. John

Last edited:
This week I was in Terminal 3, there are 3 money exchange houses there all had about 50 people in each line. Lines for all the stores, X-rays was about an hour process. The funny thing was at the duty free stores (on the other side of X-rays) they quoted you a price in CUC but the register converted it in USD if you wanted to pay that way. No need to stand in line to change $$$. My American flight left 8 minutes early and was full. There was a march in Plaza de Revolulucion 1/2/17 to celebrate the death of Fidel (again). All of the computers at Immigration had an image of Fidel at T3 when not in use. No ashtrays at the Nacional. John

Flights are holding steady under $200RT out of Miami/Ft Lauderdale. We had a 2 1/2 hour bag delay with Southwest. A 9pm flight turned almost into 1am for 40 minutes flying time. Cuban Customs was busting chops about having more than 20 custom rolled cigars without the "factura" in Terminal 3. Fortunately I had plenty traveling with me to settle them down. John

Carnival Cruise is advertising $449 4 day cruises from Tampa to Cuba. Haven't looked in to the particulars but the price sure has come down, although pricier than other islands for similar trips.

Recently in the news it has been said that Frontier is dropping out of the market next month on the flights to Cuba. They had one daily flight MIA-HAV and from other cities further north. Silver who was awarded all of the smaller provincial cities is dropping out as well in July. They flew 34 seaters out of Ft Lauderdale. At the moment no charter companies fly to the outer towns and it is uncertain who will pick up these routes. My guess would be American as they have the flexibility to use larger and smaller planes when needed and are the largest airline out of Miami. I'm sure this will create some bottlenecking as the government is slow to react to situations like this. Delta and American are pricey out of Miami unless you fly during the week or book way in advance. Reserving a flight the week before has been typically $600-$800 RT. John

Silver is done with Cuba. Frontier will go out June 4. Next up is Spirit who is retiring from Cuba flights, May 31 is their last day. The charter companies have absorbed Silvers routes. John

Today is "Dia del Trabajador" in Cuba or as we call it Labor day. There is always a million man march towards the Plaza de Revolucion on May 1st (half the people attending are government workers or security that are required to attend). Well today someone did their best 40-yard dash while carrying an American flag above their head. It took about 20-30 national security members to carry the guy off. I think CNN was posting it. John

I hope that person doesn't get sent away!

Supposed to be heading that way later in the month, I put down as the cultural aspect, to include the architecture and the music. Flying Jet Blue and am looking forward to it. My issue will be the money, since it is a cash economy with two different currencies one for tourists and the real currency of Cuba.
How do you ensure that you are paying a reasonable price?

Also will take a lot of personal toiletries to gift. I hear toothbrushes and paste, deodorants and the such are needed and appreciated.

I hope that person doesn't get sent away!

Supposed to be heading that way later in the month, I put down as the cultural aspect, to include the architecture and the music. Flying Jet Blue and am looking forward to it. My issue will be the money, since it is a cash economy with two different currencies one for tourists and the real currency of Cuba.
How do you ensure that you are paying a reasonable price?

Also will take a lot of personal toiletries to gift. I hear toothbrushes and paste, deodorants and the such are needed and appreciated.

Just a side note:
I had a friend get Euro's here.
Then transfer some at the conversion stations when he landed.
I'm pretty sure the numbers are about the same nowadays.

Right?

After talking to a cab driver in Havana, he said you could be ticketed if you don't show up to the events today at La Plaza de la Revolution. It is a mandatory event.

That's what I hear as well, Euros.

Buying Euros only saved me about $130USD over $3000 EUROS. In Cuba, USD are traded at .87USD / 1 CUC. Euros are about 1 to 1. I probably didn't save any money since I brought Euros home and sold them back to the bank at a lower rate than I bought them. You won't really use the "moneda nacional" unless you go off the beaten bath. Just remember that CUP (Cuban Peso... not convertible) is 25 CUP to 1 CUC.

Tone...there is a way to tell the difference between CUC and CUP. CUC will have a lot of colors, CUP will have one dominant color throughout the paper. There have been taxi drivers and the like that like to mix it up when giving change back. Another note....Southwest and JetBlue are charging $50 for the Visas, American $100. I asked the Visa reps (it is the same company) that sell them why the price difference. They said "We have a different contract with American". John

Tone...there is a way to tell the difference between CUC and CUP. CUC will have a lot of colors, CUP will have one dominant color throughout the paper. There have been taxi drivers and the like that like to mix it up when giving change back. Another note....Southwest and JetBlue are charging $50 for the Visas, American $100. I asked the Visa reps (it is the same company) that sell them why the price difference. They said "We have a different contract with American". John
Thanks John, guess I have an extra $50 to spend there!

While in Terminal 3 over the weekend I saw American has a Charlotte flight. Spoke to the rep and he said it is daily and coming in full every day. Lots of University students there but seems the Hangover7 crowd has lost interest. John

I actually have greater interest now in visiting Cuba than before. Now if I can only get my friends to go along...