• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Snorkling in Roatan

Undegreed

You're unique...just like everyone else
My wife and I love to snorkel and plan our vacations to places that offer us the best opportunity to do so. After going to Tahiti a couple of years ago we thought we had pretty much ruined ourselves for snorkeling anywhere else. Until we stumbled onto Roatan, Honduras.

We (actually, to include “me” in this reference is way overstated because my wife did everything) were researching a number of different places to go this year and coming up unimpressed with all the options. Curacao, Belize, Bonaire and even Tahiti again just didn’t feel right. Time was running out and we had to commit so we were resigned to settling. As my wife was doing some final research on Bonaire she had the Travel Channel on in the background when the words “snorkeling” and “Roatan” caught her attention. She immediately started her Googling and thus began a snorkeling dream trip.

Roatan is an island off the coast of mainland Honduras that is bounded on the east side by a part of the Great Barrier Reef. We stayed in Sandy Bay at the Tranquil Seas. This particular part of the island is not completely Americanized with tourism which, for us, was perfect. The food is awesome, the locals are simply wonderful people and the snorkeling is amazing. We saw a lot of typical tropical fish as well as some non-typical…at least for us. Lionfish, blue nosed trumpet fish, squid, and a toadfish (during a night snorkel) to name a few.

We paid a guide to take us out to the ocean side of the reef – up until then we had snorkeled from shore/kayak on the island side of the reef. The guide took us to “Four Sponges” and “Blue Channel” and the experience was difficult to put into words. The best I can explain is that it was like swimming in an aquarium. The fish were everywhere. I blew through my camera’s battery in an hour from the constant photos and videos. The sad part is that the depth of water/fish was +/- 10’ and deeper so I had to dive to get good pictures. I don’t mind diving but I neglecting to reset my white balance on my camera so all the colors at the top end of the spectrum were filtered out of my pictures. It was so very disappointing.

If you enjoy snorkeling, or diving for that matter, you should check out Roatan.

Thanks for sharing your amazing trip! Sounds like a dream-of-a-vacation!

3 years ago, this October, we vacationed in Roatan. We stayed at http://xbalanque-roatan.com/ and it was incredible. We also snorkeled in Roatan and it was incredible. We hooked up with a couple staying at the resort with us (offseason and it was just the 2 couples) and while they scuba dived, we snorkeled. We went with Quality Time Divers, partially because the owner was also part owner of Xbalanque.

If any of you want a get away and a beautiful resort/waters, go to Roatan and stay at Xbalanque, you won't regret it.

3 years ago, this October, we vacationed in Roatan. We hooked up with a couple staying at the resort with us...and while they dived, we snorkeled.

They call that "snorkeling" now? Whatever... snorkeling or swinging , no harm done if between consenting adults.

Funny how things change - the old timers on Cigar Pass just assumed you were into spelunking, Tiara Princess...

3 years ago, this October, we vacationed in Roatan. We stayed at http://xbalanque-roatan.com/ and it was incredible. We also snorkeled in Roatan and it was incredible. We hooked up with a couple staying at the resort with us (offseason and it was just the 2 couples) and while they scuba dived, we snorkeled. We went with Quality Time Divers, partially because the owner was also part owner of Xbalanque.

If any of you want a get away and a beautiful resort/waters, go to Roatan and stay at Xbalanque, you won't regret it.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Sounds like a great trip. We also love to snorkel bring our equipment everywhere. It's a whole different world under the surface, love it.

In a former life we did a lot of snorkeling in the Abacos. We would charter a sail boat for a couple of weeks and sail around the islands snorkeling at various spots. Great little towns in the Abacos, did you visit Coxen Hole?

Great write up, and I'm glad you had a memorable vacation. When we were on Guam in the mid-90s, I never really thought water activities were my thing. Lots of my friends got into diving and I'd been asked a few times if I wanted to get certified. I always declined, as I more enjoyed hiking and driving/four-wheeling. About two months before we left I decided to try snorkeling with some friends who were off the same time I was, so I agreed to tag along (honestly, I think it was because there was this one girl going that I really wanted to see in a swimsuit...). By the end of the day I was kicking myself for:

a) Getting married so young

b) Not getting into snorkeling and diving two years earlier

It's a bit more difficult for me to do so now, unfortunately, but I still enjoy snorkeling on the rare occasion I get to be out on a boat.

Excellent review. Thanks for sharing. This sounds like a great place to head to.

In a former life we did a lot of snorkeling in the Abacos. We would charter a sail boat for a couple of weeks and sail around the islands snorkeling at various spots. Great little towns in the Abacos, did you visit Coxen Hole?
I didn't...mainly because I really don't enjoy stuffing my oversized body into a little Tercel and going anywhere. I'm also too immature to do anything but giggle at the name "Coxen Hole." My wife went and enjoyed it. It's a whole different culture and some interesting history. She toured the mangroves, went into some villages where she bought jewelry from the children and flat bread (sort of) from the women. She even tried some coconut based banana fish soup - according to her it was delicious.

Damn you.

You know we all thought it.

tool-at-mamacon.jpg

I think I may have finally become someone at CP...I have been thread-jacked. :p