• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1955 Vintage Montecristo CUBA

Corneighdo

Corneighdo
It was in the afternoon on the last day of the year, the Dawgs fate was dwindling in the football game, and so was our Chardonnay. It was at that moment, when the A side of the Waylon & Willie record ended that I realized I NEEDED to smoke this cigar today. It was a gift from the wife over the holidays and a great way to ring in the new year.

We decided to head to the place she purchased the stick, Vendetta, in the Fairmont Hotel. We were surrounded by other cigars from this era, and in the setting of a 100+ year old building, it just felt right. I was even sporting a vintage drab green military parka and my wife was decked out in a few of the many vintage jewelry pieces she owns. We were trying to turn back time with this cigar.

FOR THOSE WHO DON’T WANT TO BE BORED START HERE (TL;DR):

1955 Vintage Montecristo Robusto
Pairing: Random 12 year rum, San Pellegrino (not together)

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

The cigar had a bit of sheen, but was not overly oily, and was the color of brown sugar. Despite a few small veins, and a visible seam, the texture overall was smooth and the construction was precise. A firm cigar, still, after all these years, and built better than some modern Cubans I’ve seen. The wrapper is a tad fragile.

We head into the smoking room, and are encountered by a couple of self declared ‘aficionados’ who were in the mood to have some pretty potent conversations. :| I try to focus on the cigar.

The foot smells like the beach at low tide, a bit salty. After a careful inspection, I noticed no triple cap (as far as I could tell), and I gave a solid punch cut to open this baby up.

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

Pre flight draw doesn’t offer much, over than the saltiness noticed before, and a bit of hay. Bruce, the proprietor, brings us a complimentary pour of ‘Montecristo’ 12 year Rum. Fitting.

The cigar lights well, and doesn’t need relighting or run adjustment at all throughout the smoke. The first third was very mild, offering light notes of that barnyard hay, leather, and cedar, accompanied by the casual sexism and homophobia of our boisterous company. The ash is very light grey and holds onto the stick for dear life.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Our second third is greeted by peace, we now have the room to ourselves, and the wife and I can really start to talk about what we’re tasting. Once the first ash comes off, damn near half way down the stick, I am greeted by a fizzy texture, and the cigar is leaning on medium strength at this point. The lighter notes of hay are traded for a nutty and shortbread combination that sings. Very mild retrohale where I get a bit of cedar, but the strength is picking up.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Bruce's stories of traveling through Spain ages ago, in a VW bus are a welcome change of pace to a lighthearted conversation about life and travel. The sun is setting on Nob Hill outside and my senses are alive. The trolley sounds louder, my wife is more beautiful than she has ever been, and this stick is tasting like hedonistic opulence. The final third went down to the nub and was where this cigar lives. Creaminess, Malt, and Chestnut all harmonize into what was not the best cigar I’ve ever had, but right up there.

FullSizeRender 5.jpg IMG_8271.JPG

Disclaimer: This is my first cigar review, I am a total newbie to the forum, cigars overall, and I am just beginning to develop my palate. I am not a writer, and still trying to figure out how to describe what I taste (not easy). I just couldn’t pass up sharing this great cigar with you all. Now feel free to tear me a new one!

Fun review!

You should participate in the blind review pass, especially since you live in a milder climate. Us cold weather folks really can't do the pass thing until winter ends.

Fun review!

You should participate in the blind review pass, especially since you live in a milder climate. Us cold weather folks really can't do the pass thing until winter ends.
Really? Colder winter months is when passes typically fly here. Better to be going around state to state now instead of a box of cigars sitting in the back of a truck that's a 140° Inside.

Nice review! I've been to Vendetta a couple times but have yet to try any of the pre-embargo stuff. Maybe I'll have to give one a go one of these days.

Really? Colder winter months is when passes typically fly here. Better to be going around state to state now instead of a box of cigars sitting in the back of a truck that's a 140° Inside.
I think he means us folks who smoke outdoors only.

Check out the blind review pass - Vortex had been trying to find a taker for a good month.

Check out the blind review pass - Vortex had been trying to find a taker for a good month.
I'm pretty familiar with that thread ;) ...... I think I just didn't understand your post to mean that it's hard for us colder climate guys to get a smoke in for a review (If that's what you did mean) like Mr. Montoya pointed out to me. As someone who has an indoor lounge, didn't occur to me what you were saying........

I'm pretty familiar with that thread ;) ...... I think I just didn't understand your post to mean that it's hard for us colder climate guys to get a smoke in for a review (If that's what you did mean) like Mr. Montoya pointed out to me. As someone who has an indoor lounge, didn't occur to me what you were saying........

Got it! I should have been clearer. :)

Must be nice...

Fun review!

Honestly, it is way too cold in Cali right now to smoke outside, so I go to the local club. I'd love to join, but I just would not be able to guess and would guarantee it be wrong. I'm still such a novice and only have so many sticks under my belt.

Really nice review! Well done.

Thanks! 1st time I've done this.

Nice review! I've been to Vendetta a couple times but have yet to try any of the pre-embargo stuff. Maybe I'll have to give one a go one of these days.

Thanks! Yeah, I love the modern sticks he carries like the NCs that have plenty of age on them (20~ years). It is literally 3 blocks from the house, so it is dangerously close. :rolleyes:

Personally the Occidemtal is my favorite cigar bar anywhere. I hit it everytime I'm in SF.

Personally the Occidemtal is my favorite cigar bar anywhere. I hit it everytime I'm in SF.
Yeah, I'm there at least twice a week with the current weather situation. Otherwise, I smoke in the overgrown backyard of my building. Was there earlier today. If you're ever in SF, hit me up- I'm walking distance to Occidental.

That shop seems to have had pre-embargo stock for a number of years.

I wonder if they get rid of the boxes when they finish?

Most of the ones I've seen are stored in ziploc bags, so I have no idea what he does with the boxes. And he does sit on them for a while, but he also has sources (collectors) where he can replenish from as he had with what I think was a 1957 MC which he was saying was not ready due to the transit/shift in environment.

Most of the ones I've seen are stored in ziploc bags, so I have no idea what he does with the boxes. And he does sit on them for a while, but he also has sources (collectors) where he can replenish from as he had with what I think was a 1957 MC which he was saying was not ready due to the transit/shift in environment.

I'd be hard pressed to say the smokes were from an exact year in the 50's.
Just plain 50's is all most folks know.
The provenance must be par none.

edit - great review. glad you enjoyed it!

I'd be hard pressed to say the smokes were from an exact year in the 50's.
Just plain 50's is all most folks know.
The provenance must be par none.

edit - great review. glad you enjoyed it!
I've often wondered about the provenance on these as well, considering how they are stored in plastic bags and the seemingly endless supply he has of them.

I'd love to try a pre-embargo cigar, but I just can't justify it at his prices and the unknown surrounding the cigars he sells there.