• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another Wooden Ash Tray Thread

Those are really cool and you have some talent! Great conversation pieces there!

I had some time to turn another ash tray out of black walnut.This wood is very hard and was rescued from the center of an old stump. There was about 6 inches of rotten wood around the edges with this incredible wood in the center. There is a void in the center that was hidden, I expect it was from tree damage many years ago, I would estimate the tree was 75+ years old. I have two larger slabs, one will be a bowl for the wife and the second will be a large 10 to 12" ash tray. When I get some time.

IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg

You have some talent my friend.

Very nice and the fact they are from salvaged wood, even better.

Did you answer if you'd consider making some to sell?

Yea I'd buy one of those. You could even get fancy and put an engraved plate of copper on the side per peoples request. Stop being modest and start cranking these bad boys out :)

I never intended on selling them, I was just having some fun. I also wouldn't have a clue to a price. I only have time in these, all of the materials are basiclly scrap or reclaimed. If anything I would be open to a trade.

Damn what other scrap you got laying around you can turn into gold ?

I never intended on selling them, I was just having some fun. I also wouldn't have a clue to a price. I only have time in these, all of the materials are basiclly scrap or reclaimed. If anything I would be open to a trade.

If you go this route (I'll take one, btw), read through the other ashtray making thread to see how to handle it correctly. You walk a fine line between hobbyist and retailer when you go this route. Just be smart about it. Anything you offer up should have a trade value. You deserve to be compensated for you time and materials. Whether a Curly Head Deluxe does that or a larger trade is up to you. I hope you keep up the nice work, either way. Keep posting pics! :)

Damn what other scrap you got laying around you can turn into gold ?

Ward, all of the wood I use is off my property (down trees) or from a project which means it came from the saw mill down the road.

Received tray, very very nice thanks so much for sharing this little piece of history with me.
ashtray2.jpg

I finished the bowl that my wife asked for out of the same black walnut used on the previous ash tray. Came out nice which made her happy which allow me to be happy. The bowl is sitting on top of the last piece of walnut out of the stump which will probably be enough for a larger tray.

Bowl2.jpg
Bowl1.jpg
bowl3.jpg

I finished the bowl that my wife asked for out of the same black walnut used on the previous ash tray. Came out nice which made her happy which allow me to be happy. The bowl is sitting on top of the last piece of walnut out of the stump which will probably be enough for a larger tray.

Bowl2.jpg
Bowl1.jpg
bowl3.jpg

Funny how that works, isn't it?