• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best rum?

I like the Appleton 12 for mixing is the best, also decent over ice. Pussers has an interesting flavor for mixing and I the Brgal Anejo is also a pretty decent mixer. Bacardi Black is a decent mixer also. Ron Zacapa and Havan Club have been the best aged rums I have tried.

Emo

AVB said:
Man, you must have consumed too much of that Tandy (as we used to call it), it isn't even close to Ron Zacapa or Appleton Estate 21. Hard to beat for the money for sure but not world class by any stretch.
Well, as I've said... I've been in Asia too long. Besides, except for the US big brands (Morgan, Bacardi and Meyers) I haven't heard of any of the others everyone's been mentioning. On a lower enlisted budget and limited selection I like what I got though, and when I can pick up a case for 10-20 bucks, I'm not gonna argue.

-K-

PS: AAFES selection is crap.

Treamayne said:
AVB said:
Man, you must have consumed too much of that Tandy (as we used to call it), it isn't even close to Ron Zacapa or Appleton Estate 21. Hard to beat for the money for sure but not world class by any stretch.
Well, as I've said... I've been in Asia too long. Besides, except for the US big brands (Morgan, Bacardi and Meyers) I haven't heard of any of the others everyone's been mentioning. On a lower enlisted budget and limited selection I like what I got though, and when I can pick up a case for 10-20 bucks, I'm not gonna argue.

-K-

PS: AAFES selection is crap.
I know that AAFES sux. But I drink my fair share of Millitary special rum. Works for rum and cokes.

I am part of the captains crew. I love that man!!! :love: For sipping I like the cap. privet stock and for mixing I buy captain by the handle. Did I mention I love the Captain :love:

I have tried a few. Not a big fan of rum mixed drinks, but I do like aged sipping rums. Just a few to try:

Montecristo 12 year-actually only had this once at the RTDA show in Vegas. Very nice rum, smooth with some good butterscotch and vanilla notes.

Pampero Anni 8 year (Venuzuela)-excellent rum with a more full body than the monte. lots of molasses flavors

Mount Gay Very Old (Jamacain)-one of the few that I can get here in VA; a bit of molasses,medium-bodied; not as smooth as the Monte

There is also a dominican rum...Ron something or another...that is actually my favorite. like drinking caramel...wonderful. I'll edit this with the name once I am at home.

There are a couple of others that I have tried, but these seem to be the ones that stand out.

Matusalem is decent. Zaya is a good one that tastes similar to Zacapa.

Well Rum is one thing i have probably drank alot of...that and whiskey..........

1) Pussers all the way great stuff...........i tried this a few weeks ago and i wish they sold it up here at school.

2) Captain Morgan's Private Stock- Drank a bottle of this on graduation night and it was also pretty damn good stuff.

3) Capt. Morgan Silver Spiced- good stuff just a lil bit tamer than normal capt.....almost seems to be a "lite" rum but either way is good.

I have always wanted to try and taste the more exotic liquors out there but have had no way of getting to it.....its all good only time will tell, but more suggestions for great rum would be much appreciated. :thumbs:

Any of the internet sites I've listed for scotch also sell rum.

emodx said:
Matusalem is decent. Zaya is a good one that tastes similar to Zacapa.
[snapback]174880[/snapback]​

Tried Matusalem last night for the first time... not too bad, not a sipper (imho)- great mixer though. Or maybe I'm not a rum sipper ?

never tried the Zaya. I also tried Rubi brandy (cognac) last night, at $11/bottle it was surprisingly good.

You rummies might be interested in this:

Gordon & Macphail 1974-30yr Old Demerara Rum
Our first handpicked rum cask, the beauty and elegance of this rum belongs on the same table as fine cognac and armagnac. Huge layers of molassas envelope flavors of cola, chocolate, butter, vanilla, cedar, tobacco, dried fruit, the list goes on. A brandyesque finish shows the benefit of lenghty aging in a cooler than normal environment. 750ML $164.99/btl

At www.binnys.com

Looking for Strohs 160 proof Butterscotch Rum from Austria. Does anyone know how to find this on the web? State stores have a Strohs 80 proof spiced rum but not the butterscotch one.

I think you may not be reading what you have found. Stroh Original Rum 80 means that it is 80% alcohol or 160 proof. If you found that then you have it. If you can't find it then try here.

jaxstraww said:
Looking for Strohs 160 proof Butterscotch Rum from Austria. Does anyone know how to find this on the web? State stores have a Strohs 80 proof spiced rum but not the butterscotch one.
[snapback]253237[/snapback]​

The state store at:
SWEDE SQUARE SHOPPING CTR
2927 SWEDE RD
NORRISTOWN PA, 19401-1335

has 4 in stock at $27.99

Your the man. G-friend picked up a bottle today. Wasn't for me. I picked it up during a conversation wih my Secret Santa hit on another board. So not to give things away I couldn't ask many questions. But that is the exact State Store we picked it up at.

Thanks again!!!!

Mine in order are:

Havana Club Cuban Barrell Proof
Ron Zacapa Centenario 15yo
Havana Club 7yo

Would love to try the Zacapa 25 year old, but that one is out of my price range($200). I've tried the HC 15yo, certainly an amazing rum, but I still prefer its 2 younger siblings (and at over $240 a bottle, too rich for my blood).

Next time you go to Europe you can find it for about $110

Strayvector said:
Would love to try the Zacapa 25 year old, but that one is out of my price range($200).
[snapback]253899[/snapback]​