• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

These have been some pretty fascinating reviews. It's pretty clear that I need to smoke more cigars! I don't think my palate would be able to recognize a majority of the flavors described!

I have been reading and rereading this thread for what seems like days. I have really enjoyed all of these so far and hope to take part in this some once I am more vetted around here.

I really enjoyed your review. One of my favorite sticks and one of Nick's best offerings.

Great pics, too!

So I was able to finally take a break last weekend AND got to enjoy a 70+ degree day in February…that’s just nuts!

This lovely stick from Ian Looked flawless in design, the shape and then capped with a little piggy tail was very appealing, but also scared me alittle. Not going to lie, I made sure I ate before smoking this one.

This one did not start out to great, it felt like it was pretty loose packing at the foot of the cigar. It started to tunnel pretty early and I got kind of nervous. When I was able to get a good draw it was very creamy and oaky.
The first 1/3rd was tough though and then this little hole started to burn out of control and things just went sideways.
I was so scared that I was going to lose it, the aroma of the smoke was amazing when I reached the halfway point I could really get a lot of earthy tones and a smooth smooth finish.

AND FINALLY, after the half way point, this thing went from a struggle while burning terrible to being an amazing cigar to match its looks!
THIS is where it got really good!
I think after that little hole/pocket burned away, the real cigar under that wrapper woke up. I was finally enjoying a sweet butter finish with the aroma staying healthy earthy/leather. I loved it; even though I never got any spice or pepper at all. I usually like a peppery cigar, but this cigar did not need it. I think the strength was on the mild-medium side. The flavors where consistent, not too complex; but I really enjoyed the amount of smoke I was getting once passing that halfway point.
If I had to guess at where it came from I would be way off. I am thrown off by roll of the cigar but then the strength coming in just over that mild mark. Most of the brands I smoke do not have that shape, so I know it is new to me and not something I have seen around me….So I will guess that it was made in Nicaragua…. is that too vague :D
Well and there you go, not something I have had before. But very much appreciated Ian and something I will have to give a try again!

Awesome review! Loved that you got that creaminess which is what I know this smoke for. And I also love that this stick has almost no pepper but is quite enjoyable.

Excellent review. I've heard good things about these medium smokes. Never tried one but the construction problem is not exactly a selling point.

Excellent review. I've heard good things about these medium smokes. Never tried one but the construction problem is not exactly a selling point.

I've smoked a handful of these (Toro, Toro Extra, box pressed perfecto, and a few of these fat perfectos) and never had a problem with construction. The only issue I had was one overly humidified Toro needed a dry boxing for a day before smoking. No burn issues on any I've tried.

I've smoked a handful of these (Toro, Toro Extra, box pressed perfecto, and a few of these fat perfectos) and never had a problem with construction. The only issue I had was one overly humidified Toro needed a dry boxing for a day before smoking. No burn issues on any I've tried.
So it was probably just that unlucky one that almost all manufacturers have a low, but not zero, chance of slipping through QC.

Sh$t really does happen. SRDH? :)

So it was probably just that unlucky one that almost all manufacturers have a low, but not zero, chance of slipping through QC.

Sh$t really does happen. SRDH? :)
I am sure it was just a one time issue. I have read great things on the brand before. BUT I am very biased on perfectos in general. I have never really had one smoke well for me at all. I would say that out of the 10 or so that I have had, 8 of them had burning issues. But that is just my problem and I am going to consoling for it :)

I had left the mystery cigar in my travel case at the "country house" during the week. Lucky the weather gods blessed us with a warm and sunny 77 F degree day. After wrapping up my honey-do list, I headed to the deck only to discover that I had put a 69% Bolveda packet to keep the cigar company. The rest of the week called for rain, so with no dry boxing I opted to light her up anyway.

IMG_4251.JPG

The cigar looked to be about a 52-54 rg belicoso and around 5" long. The medium brown wrapper had a few pronounced veins, a bit of tooth and was well constructed. It was firm to the touch. The wrapper had no scent to it at all but the foot smelled like sweet tobacco. I couldn't taste any spice so am eliminating anything with Nicaraguan tobacco.

IMG_4252.JPG

Snipped the tip and the draw was perfectly firm. Again, more sweet and no spice. Simply on the basis of not knowing and never having any Cubans around 54rg I'm thinking it's likely a NC.

IMG_4254.JPG

Lighting her up was easy. The smoke is a bit light, but that is absolutely due to the humidity level of the cigar. I immediately wish that I had in fact dry boxed it. It takes a couple of double puffs to generate enough smoke for my liking. Not the cigars fault, just piss poor planning on my part.

IMG_4256.JPG

The flavors are subdued. It tastes like an aged cigar. There is some molasses like sweetness, grass and just a smidge of spice on the first few puffs. The way the wrapper is holding the burn line again tells me that it's likely aged tobacco.

IMG_4257.JPG

As I enjoy both the cigar and the weather, I'm never really picking up any major transitions. The final third is much like the previous two. Only one small touch up is required, and even there I was being a bit anal. It does get hot to the touch in the final third. Trying hard to maintain the burn without overly puffing on it. A tasty light side of medium bodied cigar.

IMG_4260.JPG

I'm for a loss as to what it could be. I was at first thinking it tasted like an aged Padron, but that doesn't seem right either. But I'm sticking with my guess of a NC so my final guess will be some sort of Ashton classic.

IMG_4258.JPG

And boy am I wrong. A Bolivar from 2009. Duh. I forgot that they make 52rg belisocos. And that goes to show you not to eliminate a tobacco region to early. I went down the wrong path early on with my guesswork and never had a chance after that.

IMG_4259.JPG

Fantastic experience though. At some point I want to try one again at a lower RH level. Might be able to pick up subtle transistions better that way. Anyway, it was another fun review.

Follow up: So after doing the write-up I looked up some older reviews of this cigar.

http://www.cigarinspector.com/bolivar/bolivar-petit-belicoso-2009-limited-edition

Except for the first few puffs, this cigar had none of the spice that were described in the above review. It also never got anywhere near full-bodied. Medium at most. Goes to show you how cigars do age. Had you given me these notes and then given me this cigar, I still wouldn't have guessed it.

That was one of the few LEs I really enjoyed. It was interesting to get your take on how they are aging. My box is long gone but as I recall they were OK young and really improved after a few years. Boxes ended up selling much higher.

Great review Michael. I was really interested in seeing how your experience was going to go. I had a few issues with these in the beginning a few years back, but they have settled and I get the same notes you got. I have a few left and am not sure any more age will help or hurt, but will try anyways :)

Great review Michael. I was really interested in seeing how your experience was going to go. I had a few issues with these in the beginning a few years back, but they have settled and I get the same notes you got.

Thanks again for the opportunity!

Finally was able to get around to doing my review of the blind stick from Michael. So here goes!

Stick is a beautifully constructed robusto. Flawless wrapper, triple cap, natural wrapper. On sight alone my mind immediately goes to either a CoRo or a Davidoff. 10/10 on construction

A sniff of the wrapper and foot give me some hay and honey. Cold draw is a big earthy/musty, mild hay, and tobacco.
99256003-8398-42A2-B7C7-E1BC0285027B.jpg

I toast it up and I'm on my way:

First 3rd:
The first few puffs and I'm already aware that this is going to be a remarkable smoke. The draw is spot on, smooth, and just the right resistance. Getting maybe just a touch of spice, but it doesn't linger. Coffee, slight sweetness, med strength, and a really nice smoke. The burn is impeccable with a light grey solid ash. The experience is leaning me toward a Davidoff Special R.

26BE6D01-C4E4-478B-81C9-2A8EA154C5FD.jpg

Second 3rd:
More spice now at the back of the throat. This cigar is developing exactly how a multi-dimensional smoke should. Strength picks up a touch, great tobacco and med roast coffee flavors. Juuuuust the slightest hint of cedar on the finish. Still a perfect draw and burn. Enjoying both the smoking experience and the quiet sunset in my backyard.
2C58A9BA-16E0-4CFD-A933-F42BA8D5E3FA.jpg

D214E33F-2CB2-441B-9A70-6A2C51033457.jpg

Final 3rd:
Stronger bitterness now but pleasant. An earthy musty finish, faint sweetness and more spice. Super smooth draw and definitely kicking in with full strength and flavor at the end. No lingering bitterness and almost a slight (and I mean slight) toasted hazelnut finish on the retrohale. Just a fantastic smoking experience and I really enjoyed this review. See below for my guess and reveal!

2C82D218-48A6-4422-AC53-36EDE681FFC9.jpg

It ended up getting dark before I nubbed this smoke so I didn't get a final picture of the stick before I put it down. Many many thanks to Michael for a great blind stick. So here it is, my guess:

Davidoff Special R-

And the reveal:
21C7268B-E42F-4580-B4C8-4E03696ABA6B.jpg

E566F3A4-19EE-43D8-9FAC-076E8D1EAC36.jpg

OH! I was so close! And so happy because I'm normally WAAAAY off.

Thanks again, brother!