• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buffalo Trace

Anthem

Stay Thankful
Family,

If anyone (Ian Hummel) :laugh: runs accross any of this please let me know.

BUFFALO TRACE DISTILLERY RELEASES 2011 EXPERIMENTAL COLLECTION

“Rediscovered” barrels from 1989, 1991 and 1993 are latest offerings

FRANKFORT, Franklin County, Ky (Jan. 26, 2011) – Every once in a while at nearly every large distillery, a barrel warehouse employee will run across a barrel or two that has seemed to be in hiding for a number of years. They’re like little gems, concealed within the dark corners in the back of a rick just waiting to be rediscovered and sampled to see what treasures lie within.

Such is the case at Buffalo Trace Distillery, where a batch of barrels, some as old as 21 years, were rediscovered, tasted, and now bottled under the highly acclaimed Experimental Collection moniker.

“In 1998 we acquired the Old Charter brand, along with a large inventory of barrels, approximately 150,000. In a recent audit of our barrel inventory, we found some barrels from this lot. One was empty, one tasted horrible, and the others tasted very nice. Of course we bottled the very nice barrels and are offering these rare finds under our Experimental Collection label,” said Kris Comstock, bourbon brand manager.

There are three different offerings, distilled back in 1989, 1991 and 1993. Details are as follows:

· 1989 Barrels, Rediscovered: These seven barrels were filled on Nov. 17, 1989. The still proof and entry proof are unknown. After more than 21 years of aging, the wood is very prominent, but it still doesn’t conquer the rich vanilla and caramel flavors that bring to mind handmade holiday candy.

· 1991 Barrels, Rediscovered: These 8 barrels were filled on Oct. 29, 1991 and the still proof and entry proof are unknown. After a little more than 19 years, the warm and spicy aroma of this bourbon is overtaken by a robust black walnut character on the palette that finishes as thick candied fruits. The flavor lasts an eternity.

· 1993 Barrels, Rediscovered: These 8 barrels were filled on May 13, 1993 and like the other two offerings in this collection, the still proof and entry proof are unknown. After 17 years and 7 months in the barrel, this bourbon has a nice rich and creamy texture, like a whiskey latte with extra foam and a shot of vanilla. A great sipper for long cold nights.

There are more than 1,500 experimental barrels of whiskey now aging in the warehouses of Buffalo Trace Distillery. Each of these barrels has unique characteristics that differentiate it from all others. Some examples of these experiments include unique mash bills, type of wood and barrel toasts. In order to further increase the scope, flexibility and range of the experimental program, an entire micro distillery complete with cookers, fermenting tanks and a state-of-the-art micro still has been constructed within Buffalo Trace Distillery.

The Experimental Collection will be packaged in 375ml bottles. Each label will include all the pertinent information unique to that barrel of whiskey. These whiskeys will be released in February 2011 and retail for approximately $46.35 each. Each experiment is very rare and very limited. For more information on the Experimental Collection or the other products of Buffalo Trace Distillery, please contact Kris Comstock at kcomstock@buffalotrace.com.

Sounds interesting.....It's seems as if it is a miracle that the product starts out as the same liquid, put into identical barrels., and can be totally different. It's all about location in the aging facility and weather patterns.

I will be on the lookout.

These sounds very interesting. I have never had the pleasure of sampling any of the BTEC's. Hopefully, distributions sends a few of these little gems up north.

If anyone is lucky enough to get your mitss on any of these please share your thoughts.

Good luck and Happy Huntin' this one, Gents.

I have had Buffalo Trace only once, on my curise this summer, I paid a small fortune for it, but damn was it good.
I can't seem to find it here in Brussels, they are not much into Bourbon...

Tim

I have had Buffalo Trace only once, on my curise this summer, I paid a small fortune for it, but damn was it good.
I can't seem to find it here in Brussels, they are not much into Bourbon...

Tim

The Poles aren't much into bourbon, either. I try to bring a bottle back with me each time I visit the States.

As for this release, I'm intrigued. I'm not convinced that the product will necessarily anything special, but the background is neat.

-Mark

I am fairly certain that I know one (if not three) places where this will be available. My understanding is that bottles are not yet on the shelf at two of those three but I have not yet checked the other one. Ian and I are probably accessing the same sources, of course. I will let you know what I find.

I am fairly certain that I know one (if not three) places where this will be available. My understanding is that bottles are not yet on the shelf at two of those three but I have not yet checked the other one. Ian and I are probably accessing the same sources, of course. I will let you know what I find.

I'd love a bottle of each as well if you can get them. That 21 year old sounds amazing...hell they all sound amazing.

I think I will ask the Army Exchange if they will order me a bottle of the regular old BT....

Tim

I think I will ask the Army Exchange if they will order me a bottle of the regular old BT....

Tim

The 1993 is very good! Doesn't even taste remotely like the regular BF. I was too late to get the other years :(

I am not normally a bourbon drinker, ones I had not my liking, wild turkey, makers mark 46 and old crow

Someone recommend me to try Buffalo Trace since I am a scotch drinker.

Can you describe taste? dry? spicy? how is the finish? is it comparative to a good scotch

I am not normally a bourbon drinker, ones I had not my liking, wild turkey, makers mark 46 and old crow

Someone recommend me to try Buffalo Trace since I am a scotch drinker.

Can you describe taste? dry? spicy? how is the finish? is it comparative to a good scotch

umm taste like unicorns and narwhals.....magical....

Tim

I would go with woodcuts reserve first. I don't think regular buffalo trace is that great

Good to know. Im a bit behind the power curve here, but my local B&M has been known to dig up some hard to finds. I'll check with them and report back. I never could get my exchange in Colorado to get BT, but the super liquid outlet kept it in regularly once I got them to order it for the first time.

Their website was more than helpful in helping me find a retailer.