• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolidor project underway!

Lil_mac14

Well my desktop humi is nearly overflowing with goodies, so I finally bit the bullet and bought a cooler. :cool:

Picked up a 54 quart Igloo Marine cooler from Dicks sporting goods for $40 yesterday. Doesn't really have a plastic smell to it, but I'm gonna pour some bleach and water in it today when I get out of work, just to make sure its as clean and unscented as possible. Gonna order some 65% beads from heartfelt (I'm thinking that 1/2lb should be enough for this size?) maybe a couple digital hygrometers, and I'm gonna pick up a little DC fan and power supply. I plan on keeping it chest style for the time being, but I'll be making some shelves and some type of base support, transforming it into a cabinet style coolidor.

I'd like to thank everyone here that has posted any type of "how to" on setting up a coolidor, great amount of info on this site!

I'll be posting updates on this project as it moves forward.

_craig_

Very nice!

"but I'm gonna pour some bleach and water in it today when I get out of work" - be sure to use a mild mix and then air it out.

Heartfelt has a calculator on their website. Measure your cooler (length, width, and depth) and plug the numbers in the calculator. It will give you’re the amount of beads you need. I was going to go with the 65% beads, but got the 70% beads. They hold my coolidor @ 64-65 % solid. YMMV.

Might check on the beads, could need a pound.

I was just guessing at 1/2lb....noticed that on the heartfelt website under the FAQ section it says "1/3 pound of beads per 50 quarts (coolerdors)"

Heartfelt has a calculator on their website. Measure your cooler (length, width, and depth) and plug the numbers in the calculator. It will give you’re the amount of beads you need. I was going to go with the 65% beads, but got the 70% beads. They hold my coolidor @ 64-65 % solid. YMMV.

Saw the calculator on the site and will be taking measurements when I get home just to be safe. Thanks for the reference on this. I usually try to keep my cigars around the 65% humidity mark. Do most people find that the 70% beads have a lower humidity result?

_craig_

Argh.....no bleach..!! Use hot, hot water and leave the chlorine out...!! Chlorine can and usually will impinge itself into the plastic and it'll stink for a long time, even if you dilute it down.

Before my cabinet, I had 'several' coolers running.....never bleached one of them, always worked great.

Hot, hot water forces the plastic to outgas very effectively. Give it the hot water rinse, leave it open for a couple days, and you should be golden.

How is the stability of the the coolidor, when it is standing up? Do you have to make a base or add feet?

Argh.....no bleach..!! Use hot, hot water and leave the chlorine out...!! Chlorine can and usually will impinge itself into the plastic and it'll stink for a long time, even if you dilute it down.

Thanks for the heads up BBS! Good to know

How is the stability of the the coolidor, when it is standing up? Do you have to make a base or add feet?

When standing upright, it rocks back and forth quite a bit, I think just adding small blocks to the base to level it off would be a quick and easy fix.

Also, does anyone know of a good supplier (either online or local in MA) for spanish cedar? Trying to find something about 1/2" thick to make slide-in shelves.
And I'm going to check the local B&M's around here but if any BOTL's on here are looking to unload some empty cedar boxes, I'd be glad to take them off your hands. Let me know and we can talk details.

Thanks again for the help guys!

_craig_

First question do you have any pictures? Good luck with your project. I was gonna add not to use bleach but BBS took care of that for me. I don't think a bleach tasting cigar would taste good.

So I measured the interior dimensions of the cooler. It came out to roughly 22x12x12, which according to the calculator on the heartfelt site means I'll need about 7 ounces of beads. I'm gonna round up and call it an even 1/2 pound just to be safe.

Sounds nice except the for the rocking. I built a frigador for $225. Here is the link.

http://www.cigarpass...roject-underway!

Link didn't work for me, but the frigador looks nice man. Rocking really won't be an issue, probably a 5 minute fix max.

_craig_

So I measured the interior dimensions of the cooler. It came out to roughly 22x12x12, which according to the calculator on the heartfelt site means I'll need about 7 ounces of beads. I'm gonna round up and call it an even 1/2 pound just to be safe.
...double it. You can thank me in three months.... :cool:

...double it. You can thank me in three months.... :cool:

I'll just thank you now and save the embarrassment later :blush:
Thanks for the words of wisdom BBS!

_craig_

Do you have any in progress pictures?

Not really that much to show process wise till I can actually make shelves (won't be able to until I get back to school in January and have access to a wood shop). Prep work (cleaning) is really no fun to look at so I won't be posting any of that. Here's a link to the cooler I'm using if you want to check it out.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11496401&cp=4406646.11400507.4418095

Ordered a pound of beads from heartfelt today.

I'll throw this out there again: If any of you BOTL's out there have any empty cedar boxes your looking to unload, let me know and we can discuss details.

_craig_

try your local B&M. They will likely have empty cigar boxes. Some (like LFDs) come in cedar boxes.

Beads came in the other day, along with the digital hygrometer. I salt tested and calibrated the hygrometer, so I know it's reading right. Followed the directions with the heartfelt beads, put them in a dish, only about an inch deep, and saturated about 70% of the beads with distilled water. Now, I have only done this with about 1/2lb of the beads and they have been in the cooler for a couple days now, and the humidity has been reading in the high 70's ever since. I checked out the beads, they're about 100% saturated at this point (all are clear). Keep in mind the cooler has nothing else in it.

My question is, does this mean that I need the other half pound in there? Or is it simply because the cooler is completely empty (other than the dishes, beads, and hygrometer)? What can I do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance guys,

_craig_

You can buy spanish cedar online from Rockler. They also have retail stores around the country. If the cooler has a good seal, then all the humidity stays in the cooler---no where to go. With cigars and boxes in cooler, there is something to absorb moisture. Don't use so much water in beads. Let them dry out some and put back. Cedar lining and/or boxes will help stablize the humidity.

My limited experience has been more beads are better than just enough.

You need to have some of the beads white so you get the two way humidification working. If you need to fix the 100% clear problem, point a hairdryer at them for a little bit. You'll see them going back to white.

Flatstick's idea of some cedar in there will help too.