• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do I have a lemon, or just bad service?

CMontoya79

Newb Le professional!
2012 Ford Mustang V6 3.7L base with Automatic Transmission.

Dealer service location: Freeway Ford Denver,CO

1st diagnosed humming noise from suspension/engine are (not concretely distinguishable) as needing replacement of wheel bearings hub assembly rear, and located a leaky drive shaft seal.

Both items were replaced/repaired.

2nd diagnosis after humming noise persisted, previous repair did not resolve: Rear differential replacement. Noise did not get resolved.

3rd diagnosis after humming noise subdued but persisted constantly when driving forward, never in reverse. Water pump replacement.

Noise now present only upon acceleration 20 mph and above and never in reverse. Water Pump replacement did not resolve humming noise.

4th diagnosis humming noise still present upon acceleration, took service manager, technician who last worked on car for rides to demonstrate noise. Head technician took vehicle for a ride on his own to listen for noise. At this time diagnosed with needing replacement of rack and pinion and pinion ring.

Apparently parts not available, needed to order from Detroit. I have been told that Omeara Ford Center is dealer which all others in Denver Metro area get their parts from.

I want to know if Freeway Ford is simply blowing me off and buying time because they don’t know what’s causing the issue and are waiting to hear back from techs/engineers in Detroit, or if they are sincere in needing to wait for parts to arrive and then install.

If after 4th diagnosis and repair, I am still not seeing the issue resolved, I will be taking my vehicle for inspection at O’Meara Ford and if vehicle still can not be diagnosed and repaired. I will be asking for Ford to compensate me what I have paid toward the vehicle and demanding a new car with money paid toward current vehicle to go toward replacement.

The good news. All has been covered under warranty repairs so nothing out of pocket.

Thoughts? Feedback? Advice?
My wife is happy with her '06 explorer (original owners) and I was with my car, until now. So don't say buy X car make.

Don't know, but I would think that doing and charging for repairs that are not solving a problem is unacceptable. I'd be looking at legal options.

Its only humming because it don't know the words....

There's Ford CSR's on all the Ford forums. Try hitting one of them up.

I would say a second opinion, even a non dealer mechanic, would be wise. Once you have another opinion in hand, make a decision from that.

Does it only hum while there is a load on the diff? Or does it hum while you coast?

Do you have aftermarket mufflers/exhaust?

Is it RPM specific?

Sorry for all the questions, just looking for something the dealer might have not thought about. Also, didn't mean to reask questions you answered above....

The humming is hamsters singing while running in the wheel, nothing to be alarmed about........Just kidding obviously. Sort of went through a similar frustrating situation with a Chevy Equinox my daughter was driving. While not in any warranty it took them 3 tries and two fuel pump systems to finally get it fixed. Tell the dealer you are going to get a second opinion and if there is a diagnostic charge you expect them to cover it.

Different Dealership and different automotive technician. In his defense there is always that one weird noise that is really hard to correctly diagnose and will drive you crazy. It's even more frustrating when you're an independent facility and you have to eat the parts that you replace along with dealing with an understandably dismayed customer.
In a dealership it is called "replace with known good part" and then hope it resolves the issue. They are getting paid by Ford whether it remedies the issue or not.
Try a fresh mind, eyes, and ears at another dealer if you have one not too far away. Sometimes that's what it takes.

ETA: I doubt you fall under any lemon laws just yet. Nor do you most likely own a lemon. Just need someone to correctly repair. Noises are funny the way they travel. Could have something to do with the output spline bushing on the tranny and it is traveling through the driveshaft and sounds like it's in the rear differential.

Or, the technician may just suck.

Last edited:
Does it only hum while there is a load on the diff? Or does it hum while you coast?
It only hums when I hit the accelerator, foot off, then noise gives 2 quick guns then no more on coast, until I hit acceleration again.

Do you have aftermarket mufflers/exhaust?
No all stock. Didn't want to void warranty.

Is it RPM specific?
Noticeable at 20mph and above, not audible at below 20mph.

Sorry for all the questions, just looking for something the dealer might have not thought about. Also, didn't mean to reask questions you answered above....

Different Dealership and different automotive technician. In his defense there is always that one weird noise that is really hard to correctly diagnose and will drive you crazy. It's even more frustrating when you're an independent facility and you have to eat the parts that you replace along with dealing with an understandably dismayed customer.
In a dealership it is called "replace with known good part" and then hope it resolves the issue. They are getting paid by Ford whether it remedies the issue or not.
Try a fresh mind, eyes, and ears at another dealer if you have one not too far away. Sometimes that's what it takes.

ETA: I doubt you fall under any lemon laws just yet. Nor do you most likely own a lemon. Just need someone to correctly repair. Noises are funny the way they travel. Could have something to do with the output spline bushing on the tranny and it is traveling through the driveshaft and sounds like it's in the rear differential.

Or, the technician may just suck.

I've been going to this service center because it's close to my work. Closer to home, is the dealer and service center where I bought it. It's going there next if this dealer/service center can't fix it this time.

It doesn't qualify for Colorado lemon laws, that's 12 months from delivery and attempted 4 repairs only.

Damn, y'all are hard core. As long as he's not out of pocket, and they keep putting new parts on, I'd say he's doing well.

Take it back a few more times and you'll have a new motor and transmission. :D

Ford replaced my Ecoboost without even a flinch, even though the dealer knew I had tuned the truck prior to popping the engine.

Also, you can put an exhaust kit, intake, etc and NOT void warranties. The aftermarket part has to be proven to cause the failure for the dealer to deny the warranty. Example, Intake kits won't cause the waterpump to fail. Mufflers won't cause the AC to stop working.
Magnusson-Moss Act is a very powerful tool to protect vehicle owners.

TL;DR Ford takes warranty claims serious and treats their customers well. The dealers just sometimes get in the way.

It's not that I don't mind getting all new parts. It's taking time away from work then having to coordinate transport each time that has sucked. 4 times and 10 days in the shop should be adequate enough to correctly diagnose an issue with a vehicle your company pays you to know and maintain.

It's not that I don't mind getting all new parts. It's taking time away from work then having to coordinate transport each time that has sucked. 4 times and 10 days in the shop should be adequate enough to correctly diagnose an issue with a vehicle your company pays you to know and maintain.
These are the two issues, not having your vehicles available and a dealer not being able to diagnose their product! Especially when you have brand loyalty.