• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Drawing tablets for iMacs?

Anyone here know anything about drawing tablets for computers? I'm wondering if I might just possibly be in the market for something that:

1. Is compatible with my iMac and Mac OS
2. Produces webcomic/graphic novel quality stuff . . . or at least CAN.
3. Doesn't cost $1000. That iPad Pro/Apple Pencil looks sweet, but . . . damn.

~Boar

I used a small Wacom when I did some simulator work. I got to keep it too.
I was impressed with the stylus, which was pressure sensitive, so heavier pressure translated to heavier line width. Like a pen and ink artist would do.
They have quite a range of offerings, from smaller and compact (what I have) to larger, more feature laden tablets.

I looked through Amazon's listings and . . . they're basically a big trackpad and stylus, right? It hooks up to my iMac in place of my mouse? Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology here. I'm looking for something I can actually draw ON, like the iPad Pro/Apple Pencil combo. Just not for quite that much money. :confused:

~Boar

I looked through Amazon's listings and . . . they're basically a big trackpad and stylus, right?
Correct.

I totally misunderstood what you meant. That is because I have no clue into the tech you're talking about. Sounds cool though. I think I get the jist of what it does.

Yep. I used an Apple Pencil product launch video in a lesson for the Technical Writing course I wrote, and today was the day that particular lesson came up . . . lol. It has me thinking!

Former tattooist, family of artists, haven't done enough with my art since leaving the trade. The idea of a screen I can draw directly ON seems more natural to me, with my limited repertoire of digital experience, than the Wacom. I sort of associate those more with Photoshop than anything else, although I'm no doubt dead wrong. I know quite a few of the webcoms I follow are done on a setup like that.

There's an Artisul for a bit under $500 that works the same as the Apple setup, but heck, if I'm going to spend that much I might as well spend more and get the Apple.

~Boar

Yes! Something exactly like that!

It's possible I'm approaching this wrong, yes. But I couldn't even adjust to bifocals! :confused:

~Boar

My mom picked a cheapo up at walmart years ago , worked ok for drawing but she bought for signatures,
Maybe check B and H photo they have just about everything.

When I heard Apple Pen, for whatever strange reason, I thought of this: