• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fruits of Castro's Soil Pass No. 2

The P&T's look good but as mentioned only the age difference might be an issue down the road for some. However, if I remember correctly, last year we were not too anal with the opposite. I'm ok with it as long as Paul and everyone is ok with someone putting in some cigars a bit younger within a couple of years as long as it's not some HTF sticks being taken. Rare/HTF sticks should be within pretty close price/trade point.

This is going to happen with CC's. Price points are all over the place with them but some substantial age on a CC does have some value. For the most part RE/LE's are usually priced within the same ballpark (which now is always so ridiculously high priced) and age being the main factor. IMO, the same may be said for regular production CC's. 3 years may be considered an aged cigar to some and 7+ years to others. :confused:

The P&T's look good but as mentioned only the age difference might be an issue down the road for some. However, if I remember correctly, last year we were not too anal with the opposite. I'm ok with it as long as Paul and everyone is ok with someone putting in some cigars a bit younger within a couple of years as long as it's not some HTF sticks being taken. Rare/HTF sticks should be within pretty close price/trade point.

This is going to happen with CC's. Price points are all over the place with them but some substantial age on a CC does have some value. For the most part RE/LE's are usually priced within the same ballpark (which now is always so ridiculously high priced) and age being the main factor. IMO, the same may be said for regular production CC's. 3 years may be considered an aged cigar to some and 7+ years to others. :confused:
The age was my only concern as well, but I agree and think this is a good idea, that way some people aren't as restricted if they don't have aged stock. I'm fine with it as long as everyone else is :)

The age was my only concern as well, but I agree and think this is a good idea, that way some people aren't as restricted if they don't have aged stock. I'm fine with it as long as everyone else is :)
Like Kris said this is how we will do it again this time around. So Garys selections are all good and if someone puts a newer BBF in for his '07 it will be fine like Kris described.

Thanks kris!
Paul

Like Kris said this is how we will do it again this time around. So Garys selections are all good and if someone puts a newer BBF in for his '07 it will be fine like Kris described.

Thanks kris!
Paul
Sounds like a good plan :)

I'm fine with the T's and P's.

In regards to the age difference I'd say it's fine, as long as we don't bust chops too much on someone doing the other way a tad. If we keep allowing takes of recent years and puts of 5 years older, then it's going to get hard for some at the back half of this to play much. An '07 for a '13? Fine by me, but I also won't care later on if someone swaps a '13 for an '07.

It's gotta go both ways and be allowed both ways.

Here we go...what do you guys think?

T - 1. Bolivar Belicosos Finos (LAR ABR 13) 41. P – Bolivar Belicosos Finos (TEB JUL 07)

T - 4. Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2 (MGR MAY 13) 42. P – Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux (NPD MAY 03) Unbanded Cab

T - 15. Bolivar Royal Coronas (MUR JUN 12) 43. P - Ramon Allones Specially Selected (TEB OCT 07)

T - 22. Bolivar Petit Belicosos EL 2009 (OPM SEP 09) 44. P - Partagas Series D No. 5 EL 2008

T - 33. Ramon Allones Petit Unicos RE 2009 (ERO JUL 09) 45. P – Partagas Series D No. 1 EL 2004

I PM'd Paul to let him know I've been called into meetings Monday & Tuesday in Long Island, so I may not get this out until Wednesday.

PS: I didn't touch any of the good stuff you guys want. ;)

I'd like a 5r of the puts!

:thumbs:

If you would rather have someone else go before me that's ok with me. I'm not trying to screw it up but if that would be better just do it. While I'm not as flexible as I was in my 30's the daily dose of
Glucosamine and Chondroitin helps with that.:D Seriously I would be fine being the last person.

With all the logic going around I'd like to stay closer to the front of the line to avoid to much of an age issue.

The purpose of swapping out the cigars with added age was two fold.

1) I wanted to smoke some newer production cigars so I can compare them to the older versions.
2) I wanted to create that same opportunity for a few other members.

We can argue about age all day, but in a regular production cigar we should let that go if it's within 10-15 years*. If a Pass member is willing to do that, then the door should swing both ways. And in no way should it be frowned upon that someone would put in a newer cigar for an older one. I did what I did to enrich the Pass.

As for the limited production stuff, they're all expensive and tough to get to begin with....so really, it's apples for apples. It would have to be a cigar with an additional palm tree band on it to elicit any intense conversations. Although I did struggle with the idea of putting in a Cuban Davidoff...:eek:

I won't get the Pass out until tomorrow. I got home very late last night and I'm heading out now on appointments. This was my first chance to check back in to see what you guys thought about the P & Ts...so I'll take care of it tonight and hopefully get it out in the morning. I haven't even opened the box yet.

On that note....who is next so I can get an address?

* I wanted to add this thought as to why I say 10-15 years. I have always looked at Cuban cigars in two very different ways....before the dark years and after. Having smoked them for quite some time, I noticed a big change in flavor with the seed change in the late 1990s. So anything after 2001/2002 I view as the same. Prior to 1997/1998 I view as a much more desirable cigar.
LINK

Last edited:
We can argue about age all day
I'm not in this pass, but I keep wondering: I realize that age can be positive, but I think a lot of us have the opinion that aging a cigar has no guarantees. Add the diversity of folks aging practices, isn't it a crapshoot? Barring true rarity, and possibly a consistently lauded box codes, is it really something where a "hard" rule is practical. Just a thought.

The purpose of swapping out the cigars with added age was two fold.

* I wanted to add this thought as to why I say 10-15 years. I have always looked at Cuban cigars in two very ways....before the dark years and after. Having smoked them for quite some time, I noticed a big change in flavor with the seed change in the late 1990s. So anything after 2001/2002 I view as the same. Prior to 1997/1998 I view as a much more desirable cigar.
LINK

I'm not in this pass, but I keep wondering: I realize that age can be positive, but I think a lot of us have the opinion that aging a cigar has no guarantees. Add the diversity of folks aging practices, isn't it a crapshoot? Barring true rarity, and possibly a consistently lauded box codes, is it really something where a "hard" rule is practical. Just a thought.

Two very good points.

Pass order.

1. Ironpeddler
2. golfgar
3. Tone_ny
4. grateful1
5. thinde
6. Succubus
7. Maduro Clint
8. Brickhouse
9. CBoukal
10. Gern Blansten