• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I am appalled!

So I take it this forum in not a fan of CA, though its very subtle I must admit. Thank goodness I read it hear they do not really smoke too much of the sticks. Though to be fair, rating based on construction, draw, looks and a few other things I am sure do have merit. We all have different tastes so how can we expect to get much from the taste review. It nice to read, but could be worthless. Just playing devil's advocate a bit.
Sure taste is subjective, but short of buying every cigar on the shelf, how do you figure out what you like? I don’t read their reviews (or reviews on here for that matter) expecting to experience the exact same things they do. It does however give me a general basis for certain flavors/strength/etc. that I enjoy. But how many cigars have you had that started great and then turned to crap? Or how many started bad, and had you questioning your decision, only to suddenly turn it around and be an excellent cigar? Based on their review style they may never know this information. Most of the time, I can’t even make a fair judgement on a cigar, after smoking just one. It usually takes me 2-3 of a certain cigar to determine if it’s worth a spot in my humidor. As far as construction, how can they tell me if a cigar performed well, when they only smoked the first ½ inch or so? Basically, don’t try to sell me a review if you don’t actually review the whole thing.

How would you feel if you read amazing reviews about a movie, only to find out later the critic only watched the first 20 minutes, and didn’t even see the crummy ending?

How would you feel if you read amazing reviews about a movie, only to find out later the critic only watched the first 20 minutes, and didn’t even see the crummy ending?

I rarely make it a full 20 minutes into the movies I watch, but they all have happy endings. :0

I had to have a celebratory cigar today, so between classes I lit up an Illusione 1, after 5 puffs I was so good I couldn't help, but throw it out. Damn I should write for CA :laugh:

So I take it this forum in not a fan of CA, though its very subtle I must admit. Thank goodness I read it hear they do not really smoke too much of the sticks. Though to be fair, rating based on construction, draw, looks and a few other things I am sure do have merit. We all have different tastes so how can we expect to get much from the taste review. It nice to read, but could be worthless. Just playing devil's advocate a bit.
Sure taste is subjective, but short of buying every cigar on the shelf, how do you figure out what you like? I don’t read their reviews (or reviews on here for that matter) expecting to experience the exact same things they do. It does however give me a general basis for certain flavors/strength/etc. that I enjoy. But how many cigars have you had that started great and then turned to crap? Or how many started bad, and had you questioning your decision, only to suddenly turn it around and be an excellent cigar? Based on their review style they may never know this information. Most of the time, I can’t even make a fair judgement on a cigar, after smoking just one. It usually takes me 2-3 of a certain cigar to determine if it’s worth a spot in my humidor. As far as construction, how can they tell me if a cigar performed well, when they only smoked the first ½ inch or so? Basically, don’t try to sell me a review if you don’t actually review the whole thing.

This is true, and I am not saying that their reviews are exactly what they should be. In fact I like the magazine because of everything other than the reviews ( and maybe the golf stuff). I was just putting out there that there were other factors. I am sure that the real truth is somewhere between a couple puffs and nubbin it for the reviews. I would seriously wonder why one would even want to not smoke most of the cigar. That being said I was just I was playing devils advocate. Flavors do change with the stick but strength I can get pretty quickly in.

edit: I feel like that happens with alot of movie reviews. I don't count most of them anyways.

Agree with Brent. I can't even fathom the number of spectacular smokes I have had that started with mediocrity (including vintage stuff and coveted cigars like Padron Millenniums). Beyond not trusting the reviews in CA (and I don't) it just sort of boggles the mind that they would do this with 'aged' product. I can at least understand taking a couple puffs on a gurkha and chucking it, but not something like a 95 CoRo.

It must be nice to have enough money to be able to waste $25+ sticks for no reason, whenever you want too. That is absolutely ridiculous, I feel bad on tossing a curly head before it's time has come and they can suck in some nice lighter fluid for 3 minutes and toss the cigar, then move to the next? No wonder they are able to have 70 reviews in one magazine, who has time to actually enjoy a cigar now a days? Someone pour me 3 fingers of Johnny Walker Blue, I'll take a sip and pour it out, then hook me up with something else I can't afford, so like real Aficionados I can pour that too. Piss on that, if that's how real Aficionados work, I'm more than happy staying a noob for the rest of my life. Greg, on top of the utmost respect I have for you and your reviews, this has given me just a little more appreciation for your dedication to the leaf.

Thank you!

... Flavors do change with the stick but strength I can get pretty quickly in.

So you've never had a cigar sneak up on you? I know I'm not the only one to experience that phenomenon. I've had more than one cigar start out a lot more towards medium than they finished.

I've never had something I'd call mild end up being strong, but there's a lot of ground in between.

Don't forget that CA is published by the same folks who publish Wine Spectator. The wine tasters just spit the stuff out! At least Mott and Savona lay their cigars down gently once they've finished smoking the first inch or so. ;)

Oh don't get me wrong about CA, I have a subscription that I always leave in the sh*tter. I don't own any of the watches or drink any of the fancy booze, but i do like staring at the nice shiny pictures of cigars I can look for. I usually end up cutting them out with a razor and sticking them on anti-smoking posters next to the persons face!
laugh.gif

sign.gif
What can I say. There are only so many cigar magazines out there for us to read, kinda like there are only so many German Goo Girls videos out there.
blush.gif

"A gentleman only smokes half of his cigar"

Zino Davidoff.

I guess you can figure where that leaves us.

Doc.

Good thing I ain't no friggin' gentleman.
My thought exactly! I seems Zino believes a gentleman is more his reputation than his character. But I may misunderstand his meaning. I smoke the last half because it's the most flavorful.

It just occurred to me Zino didn't specify which half! :D

"A gentleman only smokes half of his cigar"

Zino Davidoff.

I guess you can figure where that leaves us.

Doc.

Good thing I ain't no friggin' gentleman.
My thought exactly! I seems Zino believes a gentleman is more his reputation than his character. But I may misunderstand his meaning. I smoke the last half because it's the most flavorful.

It just occurred to me Zino didn't specify which half! :D

I suffer through the first half to get to the half I'm supposed to smoke :)

Yeah, and I don't care if I pay $2 or $25 I am getting every dime of goodness from EVERY SINGLE ONE!

PJ