• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I raised my humidors RH to 76 I thought thats how you age cigars

No habla!! Thanks for taking out the trash as usual Rod. You guys really hung in there a lot longer than I expected on that one. Now maybe he will go back under the bridge of great salty cigars with his twin brother the Gooch.

I just witnessed my first banning. It was definitely deserved, but I must say after getting frustrated I then took a deep breath and read for enjoyment.

Ha! Nice Rod. I need to stick around more to stay up to date on this drama!

Members of CP I see have in cigars the characters like you must achieve stupidness as HA. I don't like threads being made characters of me and HA values the luck that seeks him. He implies what I think when achieving what my cigars can do and his can't accomplish with the beads which have salt.

I spend a lot of interest of my own reality money on CP and bottom line is this board entitles all controlled ass kissing of those who keep their eyes open and another entity of cigar products chat line for all to enjoy this friendly cigar chat line.

We have many intelligent chat liners here who use international common sense attempts to have real fun with cigars and smart people they are with their salty cigars. This chat line was established for people to smoke cigars no matter the cooler, salt lick or what you want to have the difference in your smoking experience of all flavors and ages even those of premium ISOM's.

We all provided our 6 sense in trying to help you HA but no listen with respect to sense being provided by the fine membership we call CP chat line.

You make CP members falling victim to strange issue salt licking fetish junk and we bend over backwards to help you but same listening to your ignorant comments to decent people with good brains who are trying to help.

Your behavior and comments prove what you are as a cigar chat line person with salt issues. Good luck to you here with another chat line which might be able to help your salt bed cigar issues. We don't characters of you character at CP as I see what you are doing to my threads with your chat line comments.

Banned!

Read more, post less.
This is one of the first peices of advice I took to heart when I came here as you can well see by my post to time ratio.
It wasn't pointed at me but it is still the best advice ever given here.
That being said, I have followed the entire HA fiasco from the start and all I can say is WOW.

Rod-
This has to be the most unique presentation of a banning I have ever seen. Wonderful job. I actually have a professional writer who hangs in our lounge read that post. I then had to give him a hefty dose of Aleve. He's still laughing as I post this.

As relates to this thread, anytime someone comes in the store and says my humidor is too high/low the first thing I question is the hygrometer. Salt test it, get a humidipak and tupperware to see if the hygro. matches the RH on the package, whatever it takes to make sure the device is reading properly before messing with any humidification. As for drying over humidified cigars, let nature do its magic and just let them naturally release the humidity themselves then get them back into a proper enviroment.

Wait, too soon. I never learned the answer to the question: How do you spell silica salt full body bitter awe full burn of your tongue?

forget the cigar, i think some people here were not aged well.

how did a humidity topic turn into a brawl?????

It wasn't about you, it was about Habanos Addict.

forget the cigar, i think some people here were not aged well.

how did a humidity topic turn into a brawl? ????

Ignore the advice of experienced members, personally insult same. Works every time.

To be clear, cigar2347, that was NOT directed at you; rather the "other" guy that got banned.

Hi i am new and i thought the more humid the better and faster cigars age, i don't know why i thought this to be honest,
so now how can i lower the humidors humidity, i have taken the cigars out left it open but right when i close the door again the humidity goes back up especially with the cigars in there.

Let me address your original post....

As far as RH goes, it's clearly personal preference. I've said this before, it's the truth - round up a hundred experienced cigar smokers and ask them what their preferred RH is. You'll get answers from 55% to 75%. Now, it's well known that the risk of mold increases exponentially with any RH over 70%, so I personally consider that the "safe" limit. Many guys, myself included, try to store and age around 65-68%. After a while, you'll realize that a point or two really doesn’t make much difference. Really. Keeping the RH at a reasonably consistent level does seem to matter. Wrappers are generally rather fragile and large sudden changes in RH won't do them any good.

While we're at it, temps matter too. Honestly, as long as the RH is kept constant, there almost isn't a "too cold" for storage. Some may say that aging will slow down with lower temps. I can't speak to that directly but I can tell you that there won't be any long term damage. At the top end of the scale, the risk of hatching any cigar beetles increases exponentially over 70F, which is why many guys use coolers or cooled cigar cabinets. Of course, local ambient temperature and what temp you keep your house with AC / heating have to be considered.

So, your RH is too high. Either your humidor, your cigars, or both are one the wet side. There are two remedies, depending on what your ambient RH is. Let's say your storage goal is 65%.

If your ambient RH is lower than 65%, this is pretty easy. Leave your cigars in the humidor, and leave lid open for two or three hours. Close it up for a day, then see where you're at. Keep at it - open for a couple hours, closed for a day, etc. until things settle down. You won't get anywhere if you open your humidor every hour or so to check on it. Remember, long term stability is what we're after here.

If your ambient RH is higher than 65%, you have to desiccate your environment. If you're using beads, it's pretty simple to pull them out and dry them out with a hair dryer. Put 'em back in the humidor, and after a couple days, pull them out for another drying. This should do it but it may take a while. There are commercially available desiccators available, and depending on your ambient RH, you may want to look into one. Maybe something from these guys. I turned them up with about five minutes of Googling and I know nothing about the company but they look OK. Important - note that those desiccators are FDA approved for food storage which is very important. Don't put nasty chemicals in with your cigars...!!

Lastly, be sure your hygrometer is calibrated. Salt test or the nice little Bovida cal kit will get that done. That should be your first step.

Hope this helps - B.B.S.

Edited to fix many, many typos.....

And you sir have just received some private, one on one tutelage from one of our finest.
Sheesh! I've been here a long time and never got that. :p
Nice summary by the way. :thumbs:
G~

Glad you found that useful. If you are having trouble, PM me or start another thread. Sorry for the thrash in your thread......

B.B.S.

CIGAR2437, you have just learned why this is the best cigar community on the interwebs. Members like BBS, AVB, Ironpeddler, Grateful, and Rod have made this a tremendous place. They have worked hard to create a community like no other. I al on other boards, hell and have even been banned from other boards. This place rocks and thank you BBS for the summary.

And thank you cigar2437 for getting it. Welcome to the fraternity. We are happy to have you.