• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aurora Puro Vintage 2004

MaytagMan

Cigar Snapshot Podcast Episode 27

La-Aurora-Puro-Vintage-2004-224x300.jpg

La Aurora Puro Vintage 2004

Size: 6-1/2 x 52 (Figurado)
Wrapper: Ecuador Habano
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic

About:
This limited release Salomon is a follow up to the Puro Vintage 2003. Only 1,000 boxes of 8 of the Puro Vintage 2004 were released, and they retail for about $16.00 a piece. The tobaccos in this cigar are from 2004, so the cigar is well-aged right out of the box, and this age was evident in the cigar’s aromas and flavors.

Pre-light:
The smooth wrapper is a dark caramel color, and was applied with great skill and finesse to this figurado. There was one minor vein the length of the cigar, but no other defects or blemishes to speak of.

AROMA: Te prelight aroma had a strong element of aromatic cedar, with a nice and delicate spice-like scent that I found hard to identify specifically. There was also a touch of barnyard, which was more pronounced at the foot.

TASTE: I tasted a lot of peat and topsoil in the prelight taste. There was also a touch of a peppery sensation in the nose that almost made me sneeze.

1/3:
The cigar started off with a dry cedary character. Underneath that cedar note there was a thick, chewy, meaty character to the smoke. There were some slight bitter notes at the top of my palate that also were present in the retrohale. The balance of flavors was good, and the combination made for an interesting smoke right from the start. The draw was perfect, and the ash was a medium-dark gray.

2/3:
In the second third, the meaty undertone continued, and at the same time a slight nutmeg-like edge entered the profile. The strength built a little bit in the second third, bringing an overall fullness to the cigar. This brought the strength and body both to a solid medium. The cedary flavor subsided as the second third progressed, and the retrohale became more robustly spice in character.

3/3:
In the final third, the flavors were still medium, but the strength increased a little bit, bringing it more into the medium-full range. The meaty and nutmeg-spice flavors intensified a bit, and a smooth and creamy leathery flavor filled in the background. I was able to smoke this cigar right to the nub with no harshness or overheating. The construction and burn remained perfect, a tribute to the expertise of the torcedor and the quality of the tobacco.

Overall:
I was happy to be able to get my hands on a few samples of the La Aurora Puro Vintage 2004. The quality of craftsmanship was evident throughout the entire smoke, and the use of aged tobaccos from 2004 made this cigar rich and flavorful without the harsh edge that youthful tobacco can sometimes bring. At a retail price of approximately $16 each, they are certainly not the cheapest cigar, but at the same time it is well worth giving these a shot if you can find them.