• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laphroaig Lore

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Laphroaig Lore - 96proof about $110

The newest release from Laphroaig is a NAS (No Age Statement) for over $100. That is a lot for something that you really don't know what you are getting. Laphroaig says that it is a vatting of different styles of their whisky, the oldest being from 1993. Oddly, it is against the SWA rules to let that info out. Lore is comprsed of American and European Oak casks, ex-Bourbon barrels followed by virgin European Oak, first-fill Oloroso Sherry butts, first-fill and refill quarter casks, and refill ex-Laphroaig stock. Pretty much as another reviewer said just take a little from every bottle in your Laphroaig collection and mix it together.
index.php

So what do you get in your glass? Classic Laphroaig with big peat, smokey sweetness and brine. It is quite good but doesn't really expand the line. Certainly not twice as good as the Quarter Cask nor 30% better than the 18 which are two of my favorites. Interesting but not outstanding, buy one if you want to try it but don't expect anything too different that what is already available.

Last edited:
Of all Scotches I've had, Laphroaig is the worst. It is a cool name though.

Laphroaig Lore - 96proof about $110

The newest release from Laphroaig is a NAS (No Age Statement) for over $100. That is a lot for something that you really don't know what you are getting. Laphroaig says that it is a vatting of different styles of their whisky, the oldest being from 1993. Oddly, it is against the SWA rules to let that info out. Lore is comprsed of American and European Oak casks, ex-Bourbon barrels followed by virgin European Oak, first-fill Oloroso Sherry butts, first-fill and refill quarter casks, and refill ex-Laphroaig stock. Pretty much as another reviewer said just take a little from every bottle in your Laphroaig collection and mix it together.

So what do you get in your glass? Classic Laphroaig with big peat, smokey sweetness and brine. It is quite good but doesn't really expand the line. Certainly not twice as good as the Quarter Cask nor 30% better than the 18 which are two of my favorites. Interesting but not outstanding, by one if you want to try it but don't expect anything too different that what is already available.

Thanks for the review! I've always enjoyed the intensity of peatiness in the 10 and I'm looking forward to trying the Quarter Cask. Does the 18 retain that level of peat or is it toned down by age? How do you compare the 18 with Lagavulin 13 for peatiness? Thanks!

Thanks for the review! I've always enjoyed the intensity of peatiness in the 10 and I'm looking forward to trying the Quarter Cask. Does the 18 retain that level of peat or is it toned down by age? How do you compare the 18 with Lagavulin 13 for peatiness? Thanks!

I'm sure you mean the Lagavulin 16 and I've never found a Laphroaig to be as peaty as the Lag. For the 18 Frog the peat remains pretty much the same but the smokiness is smoother, except for the 30 my favorite. I really don't have a preference between the Lag and the Frog the only deciding feature would be if you wanted something a touch sweeter then the Frog would be the choice or a bit more bite would be the Lag. I'd take either in a heartbeat.

I'm sure you mean the Lagavulin 16 and I've never found a Laphroaig to be as peaty as the Lag. For the 18 Frog the peat remains pretty much the same but the smokiness is smoother, except for the 30 my favorite. I really don't have a preference between the Lag and the Frog the only deciding feature would be if you wanted something a touch sweeter then the Frog would be the choice or a bit more bite would be the Lag. I'd take either in a heartbeat.

Yes, of course I meant the Lag 16, not 13. Typo. Personally, I find the basic Frog 10 to be peatier than the Lag, though I love both. I'll have to try the 18... The Frog 10 has been my "go to" for years...

Forgive him, Ray. He knows not what he says...:)

All this talk of Islays has me wanting a taste, a few months before I usually turn to them.

I'll take your advice and pass on this one. !00 bucks for more of the same is no bueno for me.

And how many would that be?
Granted not a lot because I'm not a fan. I keep going back to try it every now and again to see if my taste for it changes but it hasn't yet. To name a few I have had... Laphroaig, Johnny Walker green and red (red was pretty bad), Chivas Regal 25,18 & 12, The Glenlivet, J&B. Maybe these that I've had are all rot gut blends, I don't know. Do you have any suggestions for a guy trying to find his scotch palate?

Like Matt said "different strokes for different folks"
Look at it like this... It leaves more for you all that like it :p

Edit to remove an extra question mark.

Granted not a lot because I'm not a fan. I keep going back to try it every now and again to see if my taste for it changes but it hasn't yet. To name a few I have had... Laphroaig, Johnny Walker green and red (red was pretty bad), Chivas Regal 25,18 & 12, The Glenlivet, J&B. Maybe these that I've had are all rot gut blends, I don't know. Do you have any suggestions for a guy trying to find his scotch palate?

JW Green is one of the best ones for the money you can find. Balvenie Doublewood, Macallan 12, Aberlour 15, Dalmore 1, Highland Park 12 would all be good starters.

I'm a fan of Glenfarclas 12. Glenmorangie 10 and Cragganmore 12 also.

I drink a lot of Monkey Shoulder these days. It's mighty agreeable Scotch!

Glendronach Revival remains my favorite single malt, but no one in town carries Glendronach anymore. I tend to favor Balvenie, Arran Malt, and Glenmorangie the most among the choices available to me down here at the end of the freeway.

I do like Laphroaig occasionally, but the Cask Strength was their pinnacle achievement as far as I'm concerned, and you can't really find that one anymore. I remain hopeful there'll be another release someday . . . it was absolutely everything a Laphroaig should be.

~Boar

My go to is Glenfiddich 15. I can get the 750ml for around $50 on sale. I really like the Lagavulin 16 also but it's about $100. I need to try a Frog.

If you don't drink it, you'll never like it.

Doc

It seems you can divide single malt drinkers into two categories. Too peat or not too peat, that is the question. :)

Of all Scotches I've had, Laphroaig is the worst. It is a cool name though.

Just as a curious question: are you a regular bourbon drinker that sometimes moves into scotch? Among my group of people around here, the ones that grew up and developed their palate drinking bourbon absolutely despise Laphroaig. The ones who are coming to scotch from a different path other than by way of being a bourbon drinker seem to love it. Laphroaig can be a litmus test between the two camps.

(I have a similar litmus test for those that preferred Milwaukee's Best becoming Miller Lite fans while those that preferred Old Milwaukee become Bud Light fans...not that I endorse ANY of the products in this part of the comment).

Just as a curious question: are you a regular bourbon drinker that sometimes moves into scotch? Among my group of people around here, the ones that grew up and developed their palate drinking bourbon absolutely despise Laphroaig. The ones who are coming to scotch from a different path other than by way of being a bourbon drinker seem to love it. Laphroaig can be a litmus test between the two camps.

(I have a similar litmus test for those that preferred Milwaukee's Best becoming Miller Lite fans while those that preferred Old Milwaukee become Bud Light fans...not that I endorse ANY of the products in this part of the comment).
Interesting, yes, I am a bourbon drinker that sometimes moves to scotch.