• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold Vs. Plume..I really like these forums

Actually, that's a good question. Does anyone have a picture of plume? I've searched on here but I just find a bunch of fuzzy sticks.

...courtesy of Vitolas.net.

I've also seen plume that looked like a "sheen" or a milkey white smear on the wrapper. Rare, rare, rare.....

Edit - Hah! MMM beat me to it.....

Actually, that's a good question. Does anyone have a picture of plume? I've searched on here but I just find a bunch of fuzzy sticks.

...courtesy of Vitolas.net.

I've also seen plume that looked like a "sheen" or a milkey white smear on the wrapper. Rare, rare, rare.....

Edit - Hah! MMM beat me to it.....

It's especially rare when viewed from the side--almost like it disappears!

That is straight up MOLD! Even with the bad pic quality I could spot that a mile away. Bloom is not generally that pronounced and in giant clumps like that......If the white spots on your sticks make you second guess what it really is, it is probably bloom and not mold......

Mold is 99 times out 100 three dimensional...plume is not.

The mold I wipped off never came back, the "bad" sticks are sitting in a bag off by themselves with a humi pack. Has'nt come back, they taste great so I am not worried about white mold. The black and blue stuff will ruin your day though. White mold is all around us, give it enough humidity and stale stagnant air, IE a aluminum tube and its the perfect place with a new wet cigar. I got a 3 pack of Davidoffs, very interesting in that they are tubed and with cedar wraps but there is a 1/4 wide cut out running 1/2 - 2/3rds the length of the cigar. Smart guys there are Davidoff, let the stogie breath.

The mold I wipped off never came back, the "bad" sticks are sitting in a bag off by themselves with a humi pack.....

Why would you humidify moldy cigars...??

From what I read mold will come back when rehumidified. Cant remember where I read that and if its was at 67 ish or higher. My point is that they did not get moldy again. There are no signs of mold having been on the cigars.....no stains, smells etc. So plume or mold I dont care. The cigars are fine and smoke good. What ever it was it wiped off, has not re appeared under proper humidification.

Would be happy to post pics of the offending sticks, you can tell me if you would smoke em or not.........

From what I read mold will come back when rehumidified. Cant remember where I read that and if its was at 67 ish or higher. My point is that they did not get moldy again. There are no signs of mold having been on the cigars.....no stains, smells etc. So plume or mold I dont care. The cigars are fine and smoke good. What ever it was it wiped off, has not re appeared under proper humidification.

Would be happy to post pics of the offending sticks, you can tell me if you would smoke em or not.........

Here all this time I thought mold was caused by excess humidity. Guess I learned something today..... :whistling:

Here all this time I thought mold was caused by excess humidity. Guess I learned something today..... :whistling:

No you were right. Excess humidity. A fresh cigar stuck into a completely sealed aluminum tube of the type Romeo Y Julieta is using in the Especial Limitadas at Famous right now @ $30 for 6 with a nice little pen in a gift box will mold. There is no where for the moisture to go so it stays in the tube and mold starts. Mold is everywhere give it some place wet and dark and it is happy. Some sticks will mold some wont. Or its not mold and its plume. Either way its the white mold and wont mess your day up and wipes off with no stain or funky smells left. Isolated them from the rest of the stuff in their own bag at the "correct" humidity level from a humi pack and they are fine nothing came back. The Davidoffs I got have the same tubes and are wrapped in cedar but Davidoff goes the extra step and has a 1/4 inch cut out in the alum holder that runs 1/2 to 2/3rds the length of the cigar letting humidity in and out so the cigar does'nt get messed up. I have not smoked the ones I have, so dont know if they are "worth" the money. But they did go the extra step there so maybe they go the extra step in other areas I am not aware of. I might smoke one on my birthday coming up, not sure........but they are pretty and am curious if 3 Davidoffs @ $40 are any better than a 20 ct box of clearance Kristoff Britanias for $40. Same mild cigar, same type of wrapper etc. I am drinking some beer so too bad for you I am long winded, and you had to read through all my pabulum LOL.. :p My wife wont listen to me so I get the forum!!!!