• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Second Frigador

_Deon_

Smoke Em If You Got Em
I just started the process of working on my second frigador, running out of space, my current frigador is 4.5 cubic feet. The rumor is true, "Being part of this community, you collection will grow". The work in progress is 17 cubic feet, currently filling in the holes, taking measurements for the cedar, thinking of the humidification method (active or passive). In my current frigador (the one that is too small) I use HF beads, thinking about using them again in the big one.

The blue tape shows the size of the small frigador inside the the new one.

4257729b-6687-3d60.jpg

The seals seem too strong on frigadors to use an active humidification system. Your best bet is to bead the shiz out of that thing. Think like 6-10 pounds placed strategically around the entire unit. Either that or half beads half KL. Let the KL become conditioned to the beads and you will save a little money. Great upgrade though. Don't get rid of your other one, you will need it in less than 6 months. :)

I am going to show my wife this thread.. Then she will get off my ars for the 150 sticks I have around the house.

I did the math on the HF site with there calculator. It said I would need 4 pounds (my math showed 3.38 pounds).

Deon, have you given any thought to a cabinet style humidor? That Frigador is a pretty big unit your working on.

Light This - I have thought about the cabinet style, they are a bit pricey for the amount of storage. I got this current unit for $150, I can see this full of goodies (boxes upon boxes).

I have come up with two different layouts. Here they are (drum roll please).

Layout 1

631211f8-f6dc-1184.jpg

Layout 2

631211f8-f70c-9a3f.jpg

My small unit uses beads and works just fine. I only have to spray the beads about one every 3 weeks, it has an airtight seal. The new setup is the same principle just bigger, so the same should apply. The active system seems to be a better fit for a cabinet system, where there is a not an airtight seal, and there is a need for constant humidity addition.

You'll need an active humidification system for a set up this large. Use a few pounds of beads as a buffer. I'd look at the following for active control units.

http://www.habitatmonitor.com/

http://www.aristocra.../electronic.htm

http://www.avallohum...ccumonitor.html

Any of the 3 options I posted will not only control humidity, but temp as well.

Jason

How do these humidifiers control temp?

They have customized options to add electronic coolers to your personal package needed.

I have the inside ready to go, she is all patched up (filled in all the rack screw holes). I am running a little behind, had to wait on the guy at the wood shop. Got all the wood today, which was 1/4" cedar, unfortunately he did not have any 1/2" in stock. So, for me that means that I have to frame eveyting with 1/2" plywood, then overlay that with the 1/4" cedar. Just started to line the unit, will try to finish up in the next few days.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9541]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9542]

Still hard at it, will try to have it finished tonight, hopefully it will turn out nice.

Almost done, just waiting on the silicone to dry on the door panel. The beads come off the brown truck wednesday, going to try and start seasoning it tomorrow.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9565]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9566]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9568]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9567]

That size fridge has got to be a compressor unit isn't it? If so how are you planning on controlling the temperature?

Yes, it did have a compressor unit, I removed. My smal unit stays between 67-69 degrees.

I use mine as an oversize coolidor too. It's at 73 degrees but no signs of problems yet. Can't afford to keep the house at 69 in Texas. Plus the wife didn't like the idea of wearing a sweater all the time. :)

Here in Michigan, the weather is not to bad. The summer is not overly hot, but the winter is damn cold. The bonus for me is that I keep it in the basement, the temp down there does not swing alot.

Im assuming you not going t he temp controlled route.. in that case, in think beads would be more than fine. But I would do something about air circulation, and I dont mean opening the thing a couple times a week. You should wire up some small PC fans to a DC power supply, hooked up to a timer.. you would probably need to just wire a few resistors in the power wiring running from the DC power supply to the fans, just to drop from less than 12V... 12 volts will move too much air, too quickly for the purposes of cigars. A way of doing it was to use battery powered Oust fans, which I still have and use... but you forget about them, then realize the battery is dead for an undetermined amount of time. they are also kinda bulky for what they are.. With your fridge being that big, a handful of small, slow moving fans, turning on for 5 mins or so and hour would be great, IMHO.

Steve

I have made the unit to hold the beads at two different levels. There are four trays, two at the bottom, two in the middle with one pound of beads, hopefully this will help with the circulation issue.

41db7c46-3d71-6a78.jpg

41db7c46-3d89-8680.jpg