• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My thoughts on recent passes

Audi you participated in Jays pass so saying not to rush into one is hard to stand by no being here only a few months like myself? I am in no rush at all but if there was a newbie pass I would love to be part of it. BBS pass would not be a pass for a guy like me anyway. Exact reason I did not try to join Jays pass! Bsneed you say the main problem is always a new guy but the most recent passes I have read mainly Jays was not a new guys fault. Not looking for a back and forth here just stating one new guys opinon that it would be great to see some new guy passes being held.

Thanks guys
Paul

My statements are easy to stand by if you look at them as lessons learned. I rushed into that pass and learned that a lot goes into a pass from the host and that my stash was scarce compared to some of the sticks in the pass. I was fortunate enough to have picked up a number of sticks from members on this board just prior to that pass arriving and even then a few of the P/T's that I had proposed were questionable (not to mention the ones that were completely shot down before posting). By no means am I stating that I'm some shining example, just letting you know about my experience, the gamble Jay took on me, and my experience.

Heck, when I met with Jake he even stated that if I keep on the road I'm on there is a good chance I'd get burnt out.

I apologize if I sounded like I was on a soap-box, by no means do I consider myself a leg ahead of anyone here.
TP,
The F up in Jay's pass was not a new member of CP, but he was a first time pass participant. That is what I meant. He didn't seem to understand the rules or concept, but bulled forward with no communication and didn't ask for help. When I participated in my first few passes I asked members I respected and trusted for help.

Passes can be fun. They can also be stressful and a good way to sully your name. When a pass runs smooth its a great experience. When it doesn't it can sour you to the whole idea. I would also tell you new guys that I know many a person that couldn't wait to get in a pass, did it once, and will never do another one.

Understood guys thanks for the feed back! Audi no you didnt sound like that completely but, now that you explain it more I understand your meaning.

BBS the weather makes sense to I am in Northern New England so its coolingoff here lately. I seem to forget some time not everyone let alone many are from this area.

Thanks guys,
Paul

One of the attractions to joining CP was definitely the chance to do passes. I understood that it would take some time to get involved.

When Jay's Pass kicked off I was jealous that I couldn't participate, but daunted by the high value of the pass. It was fun researching the the cigars until I realized(almost immediately) that I had NO idea of what their relative values were. Then watching the discussions on values further muddied the waters. It made me take a step back, since I don't have years of cigar experience and the deep humidor to match. When things got rocky in the thread I quit following it. Too many hacked off people.

I'd attempt to join a pass if one was offered, and I was eligible. I'd also feel fairly anxious about getting it right.

One of the attractions to joining CP was definitely the chance to do passes. I understood that it would take some time to get involved.

When Jay's Pass kicked off I was jealous that I couldn't participate, but daunted by the high value of the pass. It was fun researching the the cigars until I realized(almost immediately) that I had NO idea of what their relative values were. Then watching the discussions on values further muddied the waters. It made me take a step back, since I don't have years of cigar experience and the deep humidor to match. When things got rocky in the thread I quit following it. Too many hacked off people.

I'd attempt to join a pass if one was offered, and I was eligible. I'd also feel fairly anxious about getting it right.

That is unfortunate. The best learning experiences around CigarPass are also some of the rockiest threads!

One of the attractions to joining CP was definitely the chance to do passes. I understood that it would take some time to get involved. When Jay's Pass kicked off I was jealous that I couldn't participate, but daunted by the high value of the pass. It was fun researching the the cigars until I realized(almost immediately) that I had NO idea of what their relative values were. Then watching the discussions on values further muddied the waters. It made me take a step back, since I don't have years of cigar experience and the deep humidor to match. When things got rocky in the thread I quit following it. Too many hacked off people. I'd attempt to join a pass if one was offered, and I was eligible. I'd also feel fairly anxious about getting it right.

Seeing it develop and then worked thru is learning what the community is about.

--------------------------------

BBS....bring it!!!!
:p

I learned too much from that thread to not go back and continue reading it.

But at the time I was awfully new and watching people's reactions sobered me up. The pass was valuable, as were the reputations of those involved. None of the anger was unwarranted. It was painful to watch, and I didn't even know the players.

I am simply stating it would be great to see one of the guys that has held passes before step up and hold a new guy pass. One that is not of extreme value where a guy like myself whos most expensive stick at the moment is a $13 value. Audi you participated in Jays pass so saying not to rush into one is hard to stand by no being here only a few months like myself? I am in no rush at all but if there was a newbie pass I would love to be part of it. BBS pass would not be a pass for a guy like me anyway. Exact reason I did not try to join Jays pass! Bsneed you say the main problem is always a new guy but the most recent passes I have read mainly Jays was not a new guys fault. Not looking for a back and forth here just stating one new guys opinon that it would be great to see some new guy passes being held.
If you're patient, the pass will come...

You've been here almost 4 months. Some may consider you still "too new" for a "new guy pass." JMHO.

Tom, thanks for putting this out there. I'm one of the new guys who was looking forward to joining a pass, but I understand why there is a reasonable amount of general concern after what's happened in the last few passes. I'm unsure if I want to join one now because there are alot of headaches that seem to attach themselves to the box.

My opinion is that it boils down to respecting the pass and the others involved in the pass. When this gets overlooked or taken for granted, the problems are bound to happen.

It would be nice to see a starter pass for first-timers with mentors, but it would also be nice to see a pass run smoothly and as intended. Enerjay and Yeahthatsme have done a great job on handling a situation with dignity while keeping the pass moving, and the open and constant communication makes it easy to learn. Tom, I look forward to seeing your pass and hope to have a good example laid out for everyone.

In my short time here I've learned that the FOG's are here to help. If you are polite and open with your intentions, you often get the information you are looking for...many times you get much more. I've learned so much about this hobby in the past year and still have much more to learn...and I owe it to sites like this.

My opinion is that it boils down to respecting the pass and the others involved in the pass. When this gets overlooked or taken for granted, the problems are bound to happen.

That is the whole key to passes being successful.

To be crystal clear, guys, it was NOT my intention to put a damper on passes, rather to point out that more have gone badly than have gone well, as of late. Only to get folks to see that the problems have made folks think twice about starting a pass with hundreds of dollars of smokes. And, to get things headed in the right direction again with clear expectations for what inclusion in a pass involves.

I will start my "Lead By Example" pass here in a month or two when the weather settles down (still 90+ outside and will be for at least a week). I'll include folks that have been there, done that, and know how to turn a pass same day and communicate. I really want to set a good example for the forums.

It's really very simple; respect the smokes and treat them like they were your own. Do what you said you'd do, when you said you'd do it. Depending on the pass and the host, verify your P's and T's with your host before the pass arrives. Open the pass, inspect all the smokes, double check the inventory as even honest people make honest mistakes. Do your level best to turn the pass in a day or two. Communicate. Learn. Have fun..... ;)

It doesn't seem like a lot to ask.....but, it did seem to me that it's time to re-focus folks on what's important.

Cheers, guys - B.B.S.

It's really very simple; respect the smokes and treat them like they were your own. Do what you said you'd do, when you said you'd do it. Depending on the pass and the host, verify your P's and T's with your host before the pass arrives. Open the pass, inspect all the smokes, double check the inventory as even honest people make honest mistakes. Do your level best to turn the pass in a day or two. Communicate. Learn. Have fun..... ;)

Can be much clearer then that....Well put Tom.

Cheers, guys - B.B.S.

Well I screwed that post up but good!

My comment was " Can't be much clearer than that...Well put Tom.

I'll commit to starting and running a lower-end pass in the October - November time frame. Newbie passes are essential, when done correctly...but all participants must be patient, the passes run twice as slow as a pass with experienced members.

First time passers, not just newbies, don't know how to look up MSRP's (especially with cigarcyclopedia under new ownership, and lack of comparison shopper), how to judge rarity (if you've been in one of my passes you know I have a system for this), etc.

And for the record, Mike (Audi) didn't have the opportunity to screw up his first pass, because if he did, I'd show up at his doorstep. :laugh:

I've got a desktop full of low end sticks. I think there's even a Gurkha in there! :laugh: It's cool enough to maybe start something for the newbs....hmmmm...

I'll commit to starting and running a lower-end pass in the October - November time frame. Newbie passes are essential, when done correctly...but all participants must be patient, the passes run twice as slow as a pass with experienced members.

First time passers, not just newbies, don't know how to look up MSRP's (especially with cigarcyclopedia under new ownership, and lack of comparison shopper), how to judge rarity (if you've been in one of my passes you know I have a system for this), etc.

And for the record, Mike (Audi) didn't have the opportunity to screw up his first pass, because if he did, I'd show up at his doorstep. :laugh:

One thing people seem to forget is that it is OK to ask questions. If you don't know marl or rarity...just ask. No one will nail you for trying to do the right thing and learn in the process.

I felt I had a pretty good handle on it until, like you said, cigarcyclopedia quit posting the comparison shopper. Out of curiosity, how do you judge MSRP's now, especially for sticks that are a little bit harder to find such as Opus X. I know vitolas.net has a very good listing of MSRPs for Opus but I'm using them as an example. If it weren't for vitolas.net and you did a google search or something for the MSRP of the Opus X line, you'd get widely varying answers.

I felt I had a pretty good handle on it until, like you said, cigarcyclopedia quit posting the comparison shopper. Out of curiosity, how do you judge MSRP's now, especially for sticks that are a little bit harder to find such as Opus X. I know vitolas.net has a very good listing of MSRPs for Opus but I'm using them as an example. If it weren't for vitolas.net and you did a google search or something for the MSRP of the Opus X line, you'd get widely varying answers.

That's why several people have suggested asking someone. Bounce ideas on puts/takes off the forum while the pass is heading your way in the mail, that way you'll get all the kinks worked out by the time it arrives and have it ready to go the next day.

Opus is judged off of actual MSRP (found from Moki on vitolas) not the gouged MSRP found on most internet sites. Since cigar cyclopedia is down, I would average prices from certain vendors posted on their websites, and calculate it that way. serioscigars, towercigars, jackschwartz, etc. Sure, it takes more time, but you have to include multiple sources. The reason we don't do that with opus/ anejo, is that it's very uncommon, if not impossible, to find a online vendor that hasn't doubled the cigars actual value....thus completely tilting the scales.

That's why several people have suggested asking someone. Bounce ideas on puts/takes off the forum while the pass is heading your way in the mail, that way you'll get all the kinks worked out by the time it arrives and have it ready to go the next day.
....maybe better yet is to run the P's and T's past the pass owner. For example, if it's a guy I know, a couple dollars either way isn't a big deal. If it's Gary, I'll make darn sure he puts at least 2X of what he takes..... :p

Kidding aside, the final authority on P's and T's is the pass owner. That's who I ask......