• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Perfection #4

Jerrfylube

Alllllright, my first review!

I'll admit, I'm far from an aficionado but I do enjoy a good smoke occasionally and have been getting into cigars a little more as of late. I partook in the Newbie Sampler and theorangeman was kind enough to present me with one of these little gems with nearly 10 years of age on it! After anxiously waiting all week, I finally got a chance to sit down and enjoy this stick with a glass of one of my favorite sipping whiskeys--Bulleit Rye.

30841964571_9a4f6c60be_b.jpg

I'm not gonna sugar coat it; this is honestly a fairly ugly cigar--it's bumpy, veiny and rough but the construction is still high quality and solid. The feel is very firm and there is little give when gently squeezed\rolled between your fingers. Slicing the end of the cap revealed what I would consider the perfect draw. Not too tight, not too loose with just an ever so slight bit of resistance. The pre-light taste was exactly like the smell of the wrapper--slightly sweet and leathery tobacco and a bit spicy/peppery that left a nice tingle on the tip of the tongue. After toasting the foot, it sparked to life without any issue and right off the bat had a rich, pleasing flavor and ample amounts of thick, creamy smoke.

30841963581_d259bac4b6_b.jpg

After getting an inch or so into it, the burn was just so-so... it was fairly uneven but never did require any touch-ups and corrected itself every time. The tasted did mellow out substantially after the first inch and it developed into a surprisingly mild/medium flavored smoke with the peppery notes dropping off a bit but still retaining the slightly sweet, creaminess that it originally had.

30841962441_454112fe22_b.jpg

The first ash fell off on its own after about an inch and a half. Getting close to the halfway point, the burn continued to be a little wonky but still never required any touch ups. The taste remained pretty consistent down to about an inch and a half long where it did start to pick up a slight bit of bitterness--I decided to call it quits as is did not seem to want to stay lit without constantly puffing on it.

It was at this point I stood up in my chair and got that "full bodied cigar" experience. SCHEEEWWW! Man, these things pack a sneaky punch! :D

I'm not entirely sure these cigars are worth the praise and hype that they always seem to receive but overall, it was a good smoke and a pleasant experience. I do think there are far better cigars in the $10 range but I would never turn my nose up at one of these in the future. I'd really like to try one with a little less age on it to compare notes.

Good review, good pics. The age issue is easily solved, go buy one, but let it rest for two weeks before you smoke it, and maybe, just maybe it was too much of a cigar to start back in with.

Great job! The #5 is deceptive in it's diminutive potency, too. Age benefits are as subjective as anything else in cigar enjoyment.

Wow thats a pretty in depth review! ive always marveled at peoples ability to report on all those tastes. maybe i smoke too much as my reviews are more like this, swill, decent, great! haha i like it or i dont and then the occaisional wow. i smoke a fair amount of opus and i can recognize all the flavors you pointed out just wouldnt have been able to point them out myself. as for the age, i have some pre release opus lanceros that are out of this world and they have the same effect. smoke it, stand up too quick, fall down lol. happy smokes!

Nice review! :cool:

I had an Opus wtih 10 years on it, and it was probably one of my favorite cigars ever. I've heard from other people that once they hit the 15 year they become flat. I try to let them sit 6 months to 1 year, but usually can't wait. They are up there in my favorites.

Also, nice choice of whiskey. I love that Bulleit.