• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Port Recommendations

jepe

Well,after I enjoyed my first Port Wine, I would like to hear recommendations
for some good ports.

In my last visit at the local store the salesman recommended to
me Ramos Pinto port 20 years.

I also wanted to know,is keeping the Ports in a room temp for years will age them
or as soon as they are bottled they dont age anymore?

for some good ports.

I also wanted to know,is keeping the Ports in a room temp for years will age them

they will age more . . . and the impact of aging will depend a lot on how much brandy they're fortified with, and what percent residual sugar is in the port

for some good ports.

they will age more . . . and the impact of aging will depend a lot on how much brandy they're fortified with, and what percent residual sugar is in the port

I was under the impression that spirits don't age after they come out of the barrels they are aged in prior to bottling. ???

PJ

for some good ports.

I was under the impression that spirits don't age after they come out of the barrels they are aged in prior to bottling. ???

PJ
I believe that applies more to Bourbon, Scotch, etc.

I have yet to venture into the vintage ports, but from what I understand some ports are suitable (and recommended) for aging while others are ready to drink. However, any bottle that has been opened should be consumed within 3 days or so depending on conditions because it will start to oxidize and lose the qualities that make it enjoyable to drink.

My favourite port is Graham's Late Bottled Vintage (LBV). I have tried a handful from the cheaper Emu 999 to what I consider a normal price of $20-25 of Sandeman's regular and reserve, Taylor Fladgate, and a few other brands.

I plan to do some more research into vintage ports and aging in the near future. I want to get my hands on a few bottles of a 2009 vintage when they are released.

There are two types of ports, bottle aged and barrel aged. Bottle aged ports are aged in a barrel for only a couple years before being bottled. They usually take an additional 10+ years to fully mature...in some cases 30 to 40+ years. Barrel aged ports are aged in a barrel as the name implies for anywhere from 10 to 40 years. Since barrel aged ports lose a certain volume over time, their overall mouth feel is one that is richer and thicker than a bottle aged port.

Couple things here. Ports are not a spirit but a fortified wine. Therefore they have the some of the same aging potential as wines. As they are fortified they will last longer once opened than a bottle of wine so depending on if the port had a cork or a stopper as well as if the port was barrel aged will determine the amount of time you have to drink it once it has been opened. Barrel aged ports are already oxidized so they last longer once opened than a vintage port. This is why restaurants use mostly barrel aged tawnys and rubies on there lists as they can open them and they stay good for 2-4 months.

Offering you a suggestion on a port is difficult without knowing what you like in them. They vary greatly in mouth feel, complexity and flavor profiles so let us know what you have liked in the ones you have tried and we'll see what we can come up with. There are many great ports out there some not so expensive others that you would have to be as nuts as AVB to buy.

I agree with Napa, ports are not spirits. It is still wine, and therefore can age. Most ports have at least some residual sugar, and the longer they age, the more the sweetness of the wine dissipates. But most should not be aged for an extremely long time. While some can be aged for 20-30 years, most will peak sometime in the 4-5 year range. A lot of others are ready to go when you get them! There are a lot of great ports out there for under $20! So try a few different types and see what you like best. Do you prefer one that is more sweet? or one that is more heavily fortified? etc.

Couple things here. Ports are not a spirit but a fortified wine. Therefore they have the some of the same aging potential as wines. As they are fortified they will last longer once opened than a bottle of wine so depending on if the port had a cork or a stopper as well as if the port was barrel aged will determine the amount of time you have to drink it once it has been opened. Barrel aged ports are already oxidized so they last longer once opened than a vintage port. This is why restaurants use mostly barrel aged tawnys and rubies on there lists as they can open them and they stay good for 2-4 months.

Offering you a suggestion on a port is difficult without knowing what you like in them. They vary greatly in mouth feel, complexity and flavor profiles so let us know what you have liked in the ones you have tried and we'll see what we can come up with. There are many great ports out there some not so expensive others that you would have to be as nuts as AVB to buy.

Some very good points here. Just like with cigars, taste is subjective. You may despise one that is a favourite of mine and vice versa. Try a few, ranging from less expensive to something on the upper limit of your budget, try them more than once and in different settings. The factor of your environment, stress level and such may affect your overall experience. Expensive does not always equal quality, nor does a fancy label.

See if a local wine merchant has a sampling night. Spending a few dollars on admission could save your plenty of money in the long run if you are able to do the trial and error without spending $10-20 per bottle. They may also offer hors d'oeuvres that would give some ideas on food pairing too.

The man speaketh the truth! :laugh:

As much fun as the aged Tawny and Ruby's are, we're gotten into the smaller things like Petite Syrah (Bogle) most anything by Westover (damn you Grapes) and even Muscat for dessert wines. Try a number of them - some that you may not normally go for are really really good. And go well with a cigar :cool: