• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question of which Harley Davidson?

Bu11dog

IMG_3712.JPG IMG_3713.JPG Really having a hard time deciding. Narrowed it down to these two for the moment.
Most of my riding is going to be in town or just for the day around the area.
I really hope to take it on some longer trips after I get used to riding again. Haven't ridden since I was a kid on dirt bikes. I bicycle very regular so I'm used to a different sitting position than your usual lazy boy feel. But I just don't know.
Love so many things about each bike. The street glide also has the detachable trunk that comes with it. It has a great stereo and speaker set up on the front, extra speakers and such.

So, it seems like you like the Street Glide more? I do. I'm way too old for sporty. Substantial price difference, but ultimately, for me, if I was younger, it would depend on a realistic evaluation of how and where I'd be riding.

I'll be that guy..... What about Indian/Victory?

My best friend has a Victory and he loves it.

Victorys not as present around here, the couple I've seen were just out of my range. 10grand and under is my range.
Not really into the Indians.
I really like both but for totally different reasons.
Love the color of the street glide, the chrome, the speaker system set up. The fact that the trunk is detachable so in town its not there. Like that if I want to hop on to visit old friends in Denver I just throw stuff in the hard storage on the bike.
Love the looks of the Vrod since it came out, love that it was built in conjunction with Porsche (which I freaking love), love the color scheme, the fact that it's a Harley but just soooo different. And lastly, yes, just love the sheer thrill of some all out fast off the line and top speeds.

My suggestion is if you will be mainly tooling around town go for something more maneuverable. Idk what the bottom one is but out of the two that's my choice.

Not a fan of the VRod myself but go with what you plan on using it for. If long hauls are what you want go with the top. If not then the VRod may be for you.

IMG_3715.JPG I appreciate the words guys. I see me doing both but in town and around the area rides will be 90%. If all goes well for me this year I'll ride it to Denver and Las Vegas. Now I don't have a problem throwing on a backpack and going but the two are just so different
Btw...
Did some searching on used Victory's and Indian's. Nothing around here used that I could afford but I did like the cross country model of the Victory.
Then as if I can't make up my mind...
They have the police model of one with the 103 engine and 5 speed, also has set up for passenger and detachable trunk/seat.

Last edited:
View attachment 15414 I appreciate the words guys. I see me doing both but in town and around the area rides will be 90%. If all goes well for me this year I'll ride it to Denver and Las Vegas. Now I don't have a problem throwing on a backpack and going but the two are just so different
Btw...
Did some searching on used Victory's and Indian's. Nothing around here used that I could afford but I did like the cross country model of the Victory.
Then as if I can't make up my mind...
They have the police model of one with the 103 engine and 5 speed, also has set up for passenger and detachable trunk/seat.

The cross country is what my buddy has.
He bought his used, as well. Been a great bike and he says it out paces the HD's all day long.

Well now I have to go up the road to a cycle place I didn't think had Victorys!

I would just interject that you can strip a touring bike down but you can't build a V-Rod up. And that although the V-Rod is a cool concept, there are better options if you're looking for something sportier.

~Boar

Victory is now defunct. Polaris is shuttering the brand in the near future, but Indian will remain. It was inevitable having two competing, similar brands like that vying for the same financial success.

Just make sure they throw in the leather H-D branded undies for free. :D

I kid. I kid. Sorta.

I'm just gonna leave this here . . .

Honda-Gold-Wing-GL1800-BUB-590x446.jpg

Seriously, it'll ride like a dream, never break down, you can plug your coffee maker into it in the morning, and absolutely no one will ever "bro" you. o_O

~Boar

...and absolutely no one will ever "bro" you.

I rode all through my 20s and early 30s. I think there's a lot of wisdom in this statement. You have to decide if you want to be in the HD scene or not. If that's what you want, then don't bother looking at anything else, because no matter how nice or better something else is, it won't get you in. On the other side, if you expressly don't want to be in the Harley scene, the look at anything else.

Two totally different bikes. It sounds like the Glide is more suited to your plans. The V-Rod is a different riding posture and to my mind not comfortable for longer rides. I'm wanting a Road King Classic myself but the Glide looks good!

Victory is now defunct. Polaris is shuttering the brand in the near future, but Indian will remain. It was inevitable having two competing, similar brands like that vying for the same financial success.

Just make sure they throw in the leather H-D branded undies for free. :D

I kid. I kid. Sorta.

Victory is getting the boot, but the aftermarket is promising to remain loyal.

That 'Glide has better than 56K on it. What I don't know, but you should, is how many miles those engines are good for before major work is required. They may be 150K engines or they may need big work at 60K. I honestly don't know.

Got to say for "... in town or just for the day around the area..." you will certainly not need something that big. Want, sure, but maybe not need. A Street Glide weighs just over 800 pounds. My Vulcan 900 weighs a little over 600 pounds. Two hundred pounds of weight is quite noticeable.

I keep looking myself, but haven't drank the HD Kool-Aid yet. Obviously a lot of people really like them. Motorcycles aren't logical purchases, I'd buy the one that feels right and learn to live with its faults. You won't find a bike that doesn't have 'something' that could have been improved on. But, if it's the one for you, well.....that's the one you should own.

Ride safe - B.B.S.

I'm just gonna leave this here . . .

Honda-Gold-Wing-GL1800-BUB-590x446.jpg

Seriously, it'll ride like a dream, never break down, you can plug your coffee maker into it in the morning, and absolutely no one will ever "bro" you. o_O

~Boar

Came close to buying a GL1800 when I was in my early 20's. I know, not exactly the Goldwing niche demographic. ;) I still love those things. I ended up getting a used Triumph Sprint ST, instead, telling myself that I was saving for a BMW R1150RT.

Some of you guys may have seen this already, but here's a video that my buddy took of our fourth of July ride last year. I'm out in front, my buddy Jeff on his Harley is in second, and my good friend Austin with his GoPro is bringing up the rear. Im the guy on the right at about 13:30 into the video. This is the kind of riding we're lucky enough to have here in Washington State. And in all cases the Vulcan 900 is fantastic for this type of travel. The only time I find myself wanting a little, is extended freeway riding. The bike will do 80+ with ease, but it's spun a little tight. Before next riding season, I'm going to do a pully mod to lengthen the legs just a bit. I drool over a new bike all the time, then I take mine out for a ride and am pretty darn happy with it. Kawasaki got the Vulcan 900 pretty right, imho.

That 'Glide has better than 56K on it. What I don't know, but you should, is how many miles those engines are good for before major work is required. They may be 150K engines or they may need big work at 60K. I honestly don't know.

Got to say for "... in town or just for the day around the area..." you will certainly not need something that big. Want, sure, but maybe not need. A Street Glide weighs just over 800 pounds. My Vulcan 900 weighs a little over 600 pounds. Two hundred pounds of weight is quite noticeable.

I keep looking myself, but haven't drank the HD Kool-Aid yet. Obviously a lot of people really like them. Motorcycles aren't logical purchases, I'd buy the one that feels right and learn to live with its faults. You won't find a bike that doesn't have 'something' that could have been improved on. But, if it's the one for you, well.....that's the one you should own.

Ride safe - B.B.S.

Thank you for all that. For all the things my friends have said this one is the one that resonates with me. I rode an ultra glide today and its great, but not for the 90% of the time that I'll be using it. Its 800 plus pounds, the Vrod is 600. Just sitting on them makes me uncomfortable in the big one. Going to go ride the Vrod and the street glide this week if I get everything needed done and make a decision.
Great video btw, we have corn and such to see around here. Lol
I've always liked the HD's. My father rode when I was a kid and I think even had a gold wing at one point. I also got to see first hand what happens when you go down in the middle of the night in a rain storm on the LA freeway. Still want one though.
All of the rest of you that replied, thanks so much. Wish I could send all of you a 5'er for the help!!!