• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recent Purchases

Orval Trappist Ale
Chimay Rouge
Rochefort 8
Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout
Westmalle Triple

edit: Spelling

a man after my own heart. That is a lot of great Trappists.

sidenote: Whenever I type trappist into microsoft outlook, it tries to change the spelling to "rapist" hahah

Being a self proclaimed trappist whore, I figure I better live up to the reputation. :rolleyes:

I've been waiting for that Westvleteren (sp?) for ever, but it's supposed to be here by the end of the week, or early next!!! You'll have to try to talk Jonas into sharing.

You drink that Stone IS yet?

yea, jonas and I are waiting to see how your order goes with that company. Once you get your brews in, we will probably put in a big joint order. I'm sure he will share it with me, he knows how much I love trappists.

I had last years IS, and I loved it (probably my favorite stout so far). I just got those two bottles of this year's, and I am going to drink one, and age the other.

Let me know when you guys order. If it's as good as everybody says, I'll get in with you guys for some more.

sounds like a good idea!

Is it possible for a beer to be that highly rated and not be good? I guess you never know...

sounds like a good idea!

Is it possible for a beer to be that highly rated and not be good? I guess you never know...

I suppose it's possible. All the one's I've had from the top 20 on BA have been fantastic though, so I can't wait to see what old #1 is like.

If I read this right, you guys are going to do a group buy on some Westvleteren? If that's the case, I'd love to get in on it. Please? Pretty please?

Correct me if things have changed but aren't you ethicly not supposed to resell Westvleteren beer? There aren't any official importers (or exporters for that matter) so at best it would be gray market.

Correct me if things have changed but aren't you ethicly not supposed to resell Westvleteren beer? There aren't any official importers (or exporters for that matter) so at best it would be gray market.

If you want to talk gray market, let's look at ISOMs in the US! At least there it's an actual law being broken, and not just a preference of the manufacturer.

I believe you are correct in stating that there are no official importers (or exporters) of Westvleteren. However, I take exception to the statement that it is unethical to buy or sell the beer. If I buy something, I own it and it is my right to sell it if I want to. The manufacturer may not like it, in which case they are free to stop selling me the product in the first place. But unless something is stolen or otherwise illicit, I have no problem buying and/or reselling a product. How many people on this board do you suppose have violated their state tobacco tax laws buy purchasing out-of-state cigars without paying tax?

I'm not trying to attack anyone here, and I hope no one takes it that way (I'd jump at the chance to obtain a few ISOMs!), I'm simply trying to point out that I don't see how this is any different and it doesn't make much (any) sense to me for someone to think buying Westvleteren is unethical but buying ISOMs is fine.

Edit to correct punctuation; edited again to correct a typo I just noticed.

If you want to talk gray market, let's look at ISOMs in the US! At least there it's an actual law being broken, and not just a preference of the manufacturer.

I believe you are correct in stating that there are no official importers (or exporters) of Westvleteren. However, I take exception to the statement that it is unethical to buy or sell the beer. If I buy something, I own it and it is my right to sell it if I want to. The manufacturer may not like it, in which case they are free to stop selling me the product in the first place. But unless something is stolen or otherwise illicit, I have no problem buying and/or reselling a product. How many people on this board do you suppose have violated their state tobacco tax laws buy purchasing out-of-state cigars without paying tax?

I'm not trying to attack anyone here, and I hope no one takes it that way (I'd jump at the chance to obtain a few ISOMs!), I'm simply trying to point out that I don't see how this is any different and it doesn't make much (any) sense to me for someone to think buying Westvleteren is unethical buy buying ISOMs is fine.

Edit to correct punctuation.

plus, I don't think anyone is looking to make a profit.

4 fourpacks of Żubr :D

czteropak_big.jpg
czteropak_big.jpg

czteropak_big.jpg
czteropak_big.jpg

plus, I don't think anyone is looking to make a profit.
I know of a site that is charging $450 a case for it. :laugh:

Ray, you are correct and things haven't changed.

The point here is not about legalities, but rather ethics. The monks who brew this beer themselves are against its resale and maintain that they only brew enough to support themselves and their lifestyle. To compare them to Habanos SA and the embargo is to compare rice to mango - it simply doesn't work (though it tastes good together). Certainly, once you obtain it you can do as you please with any item, but that's not the point here.

And believe me, on the ethics side of the equation, there are plenty of people here who take issue with the purchase of ISOMs and, consequently, the provision of funds to Fidel, irrespective of whether there is an embargo (i.e., legal aspect) in place or not. It's not necessarily about legalities, but rather the ethics/principle of the matter.

Correct me if things have changed but aren't you ethically not supposed to resell Westvleteren beer? There aren't any official importers (or exporters for that matter) so at best it would be gray market.

I believe you are correct in stating that there are no official importers (or exporters) of Westvleteren. However, I take exception to the statement that it is unethical to buy or sell the beer.

I didn't say anything about buying the beer nor did I compare it to cigars. Your argument is fallacious in that it is allowed to buy and sell Cuban cigars for most of the world and the product is available. This beer is not available for the world and is requested by the manufacturer it not be resold. Not the same as cigars at all. I'm sure the legal folks here could explain that the intended use as stated implies some responsibility for the buyer.

If I buy something, I own it and it is my right to sell it if I want to. The manufacturer may not like it, in which case they are free to stop selling me the product in the first place.

I'm sure if they knew they would.

But unless something is stolen or otherwise illicit, I have no problem buying and/or reselling a product. I'm simply trying to point out that I don't see how this is any different and it doesn't make much (any) sense to me for someone to think buying Westvleteren is unethical but buying ISOMs is fine.

It is illicit, you didn't pay any tax on it either so by your own reasoning you should have a problem buying and/or reselling the product without having ethics enter into the picture at all.

Miami Cubano said:
The point here is not about legalities, but rather ethics.

I see the difference here, MC, and agree with you that I didn't take that into account when making my analogy.

AVB: I'm addressing your post out of order because my reply makes more sense this way, at least in my possibly skewed mind.

It is illicit, you didn't pay any tax on it either so by your own reasoning you should have a problem buying and/or reselling the product without having ethics enter into the picture at all.

Good point. I should note that I'm still not going to buy tax stamps for the cigars in my humi or the whisky in my cupboard (all of which were purchased out of state). :whistling: I suppose I should have said "illicit enough to bother me" or "illicit in a manner which I personally find grave" or something. :laugh: I thought it was clear from my earlier post that I didn't consider this to be a real issue, but maybe it was not.

I didn't say anything about buying the beer nor did I compare it to cigars. Your argument is fallacious in that it is allowed to buy and sell Cuban cigars for most of the world and the product is available. This beer is not available for the world and is requested by the manufacturer it not be resold. Not the same as cigars at all. I'm sure the legal folks here could explain that the intended use as stated implies some responsibility for the buyer.

I fail to see what difference it makes that it is legal for the rest of the world to buy ISOMs. I admit that the analogy was poor, but I think more for MC's reasons. The fact that Canadians can buy ISOMs does not make it less illegal for me to do so. And the intended use (i.e. personal consumption) arguably creates an issue, but only between the brewery and the original buyer. I say arguably because intended use (which applies more to product liability) isn't really the issue, it's more of a contract situation. I'll admit I did not have any firsthand information on the resale policy of Westvleteren, but in looking at their website it states: "Every customer promises not to sell the beer to others." So, when someone does resell the beer, they break that promise (i.e. breach their contract with the brewery).

Keeping that in mind, were I to buy the beer from someone other than the brewery, now that I know they had to promise not to sell it, this creates more of an ethical quandary. Whether I would go through with this depends on the particulars, then. Do I think it would be unethical to pay $450 for a case? Yes. On the opposite end, if my father/sibling/cousin/best friend visited the brewery and offered to sell me some of the beer he brought back for precisely what he paid, do I think that would be unethical? No. I admit that this is technically a violation of the promise not to resell, but the way I see it the spirit of the promise is still upheld: the monks sell their product in limited quantities at a very low price, in keeping with their traditions and (I presume) sharing the joy they find in their product with others. No one is making a profit on the backs of the monks in this second example, and I don't see it as much of a problem.

Now, most situations fall somewhere in between these two examples (and most are probably closer to the first). The real ethical questions arise when more is charged than was paid to the brewery, but not outrageously more. Is it fair to charge for the costs of transporting the beer here? I think so. Is it fair to charge an additional markup (i.e. profit)? Uhm, I think this is the rub. The brewery could clearly charge more for its beer. It doesn't because (a) it doesn't need the extra money, and (b) (again presumption on my part) the monks want to share the joy they find in their product with others, including (and possibly especially) those who cannot afford to pay extravagant prices. So if someone resells the beer for a profit, they are violating the spirit in which it was brewed.

With all that said, I would be perfectly willing to participate in a group buy of the beer on the above terms (i.e. there is no profiteering going on). The commitment made by the monks that brew the beer is beyond admirable and it should not be dishonored by helping someone make money off of their work.

P.S. That reply ended up being a lot more work than I expected to put in when I started! Thanks for making me think you guys. I manage to get through many days without doing any of that. ;)

Miami Cubano said:
The point here is not about legalities, but rather ethics.

I see the difference here, MC, and agree with you that I didn't take that into account when making my analogy.

AVB: I'm addressing your post out of order because my reply makes more sense this way, at least in my possibly skewed mind.

Good point. I should note that I'm still not going to buy tax stamps for the cigars in my humi or the whisky in my cupboard (all of which were purchased out of state). :whistling: I suppose I should have said "illicit enough to bother me" or "illicit in a manner which I personally find grave" or something. :laugh: I thought it was clear from my earlier post that I didn't consider this to be a real issue, but maybe it was not.

I fail to see what difference it makes that it is legal for the rest of the world to buy ISOMs. I admit that the analogy was poor, but I think more for MC's reasons. The fact that Canadians can buy ISOMs does not make it less illegal for me to do so. And the intended use (i.e. personal consumption) arguably creates an issue, but only between the brewery and the original buyer. I say arguably because intended use (which applies more to product liability) isn't really the issue, it's more of a contract situation. I'll admit I did not have any firsthand information on the resale policy of Westvleteren, but in looking at their website it states: "Every customer promises not to sell the beer to others." So, when someone does resell the beer, they break that promise (i.e. breach their contract with the brewery).

Keeping that in mind, were I to buy the beer from someone other than the brewery, now that I know they had to promise not to sell it, this creates more of an ethical quandary. Whether I would go through with this depends on the particulars, then. Do I think it would be unethical to pay $450 for a case? Yes. On the opposite end, if my father/sibling/cousin/best friend visited the brewery and offered to sell me some of the beer he brought back for precisely what he paid, do I think that would be unethical? No. I admit that this is technically a violation of the promise not to resell, but the way I see it the spirit of the promise is still upheld: the monks sell their product in limited quantities at a very low price, in keeping with their traditions and (I presume) sharing the joy they find in their product with others. No one is making a profit on the backs of the monks in this second example, and I don't see it as much of a problem.

Now, most situations fall somewhere in between these two examples (and most are probably closer to the first). The real ethical questions arise when more is charged than was paid to the brewery, but not outrageously more. Is it fair to charge for the costs of transporting the beer here? I think so. Is it fair to charge an additional markup (i.e. profit)? Uhm, I think this is the rub. The brewery could clearly charge more for its beer. It doesn't because (a) it doesn't need the extra money, and (b) (again presumption on my part) the monks want to share the joy they find in their product with others, including (and possibly especially) those who cannot afford to pay extravagant prices. So if someone resells the beer for a profit, they are violating the spirit in which it was brewed.

With all that said, I would be perfectly willing to participate in a group buy of the beer on the above terms (i.e. there is no profiteering going on). The commitment made by the monks that brew the beer is beyond admirable and it should not be dishonored by helping someone make money off of their work.

P.S. That reply ended up being a lot more work than I expected to put in when I started! Thanks for making me think you guys. I manage to get through many days without doing any of that. ;)

For the sake of clarity and precision as to the issue of ethics of this matter...the point is that the good Brothers request that their product not be resold, period. "Profit" (or for how much) doesn't enter into their version of the equation at all. Whether it be resold at the price paid, below the price paid, or far more than the price paid, resale is resale, and that cannot be danced around. I doubt the good Brothers would get mired in any so-called "grey areas" of the issue, and think that ethics (or more precisely, the customer's promise not to resell) only come into play depending on resale price point. No, rather, they ask (and the customer promises) that it not be resold at all. The bottom line, once they sell to an individual customer, and the customer purchases same, is that there is presumably an express (not implied, or in any manner latent) agreement that the product not be resold, at ANY price.

Now, how that sets in your own conscience and/or reasoning is altogether different matter and only you know how you would live up to that express agreement, which, by your posts, is pretty evident. But, the ethics of this situation are not complicated at all.

BUMP!!!

5-28-07036.jpg

I've had the Arrogant bastard... :love:
But the Hazed & Infused, and the La Fin Du Monde will be my first!!! I'm drinking the H&I right now while smoking a WOAM... DAMN GOOD BEER!!! Wonderful aroma, and great flavor on this hopped up delight!!! :thumbs: I think I'll crack the La Fin Du Monde in a little bit!

:thumbs:

fr.gif

I picked up a six pack of Leffe Blond (Belgian wheat). A friend recommended it, but he failed to mention it was a wheat beer. Not that this mattered, but it wasn't what I was in the mood for and even while I tried to look past the initial dissapointment, I thought Leffe was a Letdown. :(

I will still finish the sixer, but was glad I also picked up another Sleeman's variety pack. :thumbs:

3 bombers...
Lazy Boy Brewing IPA,
Stone Ruination,
and, a Stone IRS (Imperial Russian Stout!!!)

:thumbs:

Harpoon IPA.

I went to their "Brewstock 2007" beerfest in Boston last Friday! :thumbs:

I also REALLY like some homebrews I've been fortunate enough to receive from some BOTLs (Altbier from ClubStogie). Now THOSE are some nice treats! :thumbs:

In September of 2005, Altbier brought me to a huge beerfest in Richmond, VA and I sampled some "Clipper City" beers that were FANTASTIC! They are out of Baltimore.

I recently grabbed a six-pack of one of my favorite seasonals, Boulevard Irish Ale, that was on clearance. I'm kicking myself because I love this beer and forgot to stock up on it this year. :angry:

7-3-07084.jpg

Stone Vertical Epic - 7/7/07, DFH 60min. IPA, Maredsous 10... :love:
7-3-07099.jpg

As you can see, I had to pick up another SVE!!! I'm looking forward to trying ALL these!!! :thumbs: