• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review: Old Forester 2016 Birthday Bourbon

So, as I mentioned last week, I stopped by my local Spec's on payday and they had THIS tucked away in the shipping office for me:

518761-740x740-1462451016-primary.png

Just kidding! Just kidding! Ow! Not in the face! :eek:

No, it was THIS STUFF:

Old_Forester_Birthday_Bourbon_2016.jpg

Might as WELL be a unicorn, right? ;)

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, 2016 Edition. 12 years old, 97 proof, $88 ($80 with my veteran's discount) and the first and only bottle of it I've ever seen. Decided I'd celebrate Yule with a little post-prandial dram . . . :D

This is a VERY good bourbon and a bit different, profile/mash bill wise, from others I've had. The high proof gives it a pretty assertive presence, hitting the palate with mostly caramel and oak notes and then exploding into a long vanilla and char finish. More rye than corn, if I had to guess, but that might just be the proof talking. Bit of unexpected fruit in the middle of it all, and a hint of cinnamon on the very tail end.

They had a number of interesting limited release bourbons tucked away for regulars who appreciate such things, but when this bottle came out of the box I knew it was coming home with me. Glad I snagged it when I did, it's a real gem.

~Boar

Nice. Haven't had the chance to try it, though I heard this year was much better than last. Our local TW only got 3 bottles in and they were gone in minutes.

I've seen one bottle in several years. One guy who gets some high end stuff, doubles the price, then basically keeps a bottle free, for himself. Not easy to get here. That said, I have a friend who swears the basic 86 proof offering is one of the best Bourbons for straight sipping. I've yet to try it.

Regular Old Forester IS a pretty good sipping bourbon, especially for the price. It's basically as cheap as you can go before you're in adding Coke territory, but smooth and tasty.

My regular house bourbon is 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, though, which is just a bit more and LOTS better. My current "splurge" bourbon is Walking Stick, which I think I've reviewed here already.

~Boar

Even I didn't get a 2016 :(