• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished some Dunhill Nightcap on Sunday at a new lounge. Still getting used to the whole packing/relighting thing and trying to keep from getting the pipe too hot, but I'm getting a little better at it.

As far as the Nightcap goes, not really my taste. It will be interesting to see if my tastes evolve as they did when I started smoking more and more cigars.

Finished some Dunhill Nightcap on Sunday at a new lounge. Still getting used to the whole packing/relighting thing and trying to keep from getting the pipe too hot, but I'm getting a little better at it.

The best advise I can give you is to stop trying. Just enjoy the smoking/ relighting/ smoking/ relighting and watch how it will start to come naturally after a little while.

As far as the Nightcap goes, not really my taste. It will be interesting to see if my tastes evolve as they did when I started smoking more and more cigars.

Do you like other Latakia blends? Nightcap is a pretty good example of a straight forward Latakia heavy blend. Have you tried more middle of the road blends, like Squadron Leader, or Blue Mountain, or something even lighter like Frog Morton? Maybe Latakia just isn't for you? Don't worry that just means there will be more for me! :p

You might also want to give one of the Latakia blends that includes cigar leave - Billy Budd and Key Largo are good examples.

Is Penzance a Latakia blend? I've tried that and rather enjoyed. Nightcap wasn't bad, but probably not a blend I would look to purchase. I know Billy packed me some Squadron Leader, so I'll give that a shot. Honestly, and I know this will be met with plenty of eyerolls, I'm not looking to purchase more blends just yet. I have so much left in the stash (most of which tends to be aromatic blends, like Christmas Cookie) that I don't want to go overboard right now. But I will explore more in the future. Just hoping to keep the beast on a leash for right now. I know what credit cards and humi space can do.

Yup, Penzance and Nightcap are both in that heavy latakia category (that's the peaty, firewood smell you get). Most folks would consider them Full English Blends. Squadron Leader is medium Latakia blend, more in line with traditional English blends like Peterson's Old Dublin. Have you tried any VA or VA/Per blends? I think that most people can compare English blends to cigars and burley blends to cigarettes, but Virginia seems to be in a category of their own.

I can pretty much name the blends I've smoked with one hand. Penzance (loved it), Nightcap (meh), Christmas Cookie (enjoyed), Peterson Christmas blend '10 (enjoyed), and some Scandinavian blend that I can't recall the name of (neutral blend, bought it to break in my Peterson).

Yeah, that's about it, haha. I'm still very new to this. I'll explore more in due time but I'm just trying to prevent all the impulse buys that got me when I got into cigars. I've had my eye on a Peterson sampler and maybe even a jar of some nice sounding GL Pease stuff.

We can fix this, PM me your address, I'll send you a few good examples of the different types of blends.

Way to step up! :thumbs:

I enjoyed some '00 Escudo in my Stanwell Danish Reserve that was very purreekee.

I'm smoking a Dark English blend I picked up a shop. I don't know if it is a house blend or one they bought. It is smoking nice and goes well with my beer.

I enjoyed a nice, big bowl of Frog Morton last night. I think I'm getting the hang of this pipe business - only a couple relights, I could really taste the flavors nicely, and only the tiniest hint of tongue bite this morning. I also think the tobacco was too wet when I first opened the tin a few weeks ago.

I've been smoking C&D Exhausted Rooster, 08 Escudo, and '99 Orlik Dark Kentucky.

I'm considering opening another tin - Bufflehead - but I have so many open now.

Life is good if these are the problems! ;)

Tried some Engine 99 from Cornell & Diehl yesterday and it was very good. Have some Pirate Kake prepared for tomorrow.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. This is a fantastic Virginia Flake...I will have to build up on my 4 oz. supply!

I recently came across some original Ashton Celebrated Sovereign and I have been working my way through it.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. This is a fantastic Virginia Flake...I will have to build up on my 4 oz. supply!

I have never tried Twist Flake, but I love the Navy. Have you tried the Navy?

I was packing up a sampler for a friend and the aroma of Christmas Cookie was simply too delightful to resist. :)

I tried a couple bowls of C&D Habana Daydream from a sampler yesterday, and it was excellent, maybe my favorite pipe tobacco I've tried so far. Very nice flavor, lots of nuances, and smoked cool. The only problem might be that the room note was very strong, our so I was told. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.