• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When does a $5 bag Spanish Cedar Chips cost $10?

I'm sorry to say, but the only thing I could think of would be to sand it down. I sell bags of Spanish Cedar shavings for 5 bucks to add the aroma but it most likely won't get rid of a chemical smell. It could always be modified into a jewelry box for your significant other. Then you'll have an excuse to get a new one.
blush.gif

I thought it was $10 plus shipping?

Smaller bags.
laugh.gif
+ shipping. About the size of a sock.
wink.gif
Here's your answer Gary....before he edited it.

Yes, didn't see that coming!

:sign:

He's too busy to answer right now. And yes, I've seen his thread.

And here I looked at this thread for a good riddle....

Patient: When is a cigar not a cigar?
Freud: When it's a penis.

Bill, when we spoke on the phone some time ago, you struck me as an honest, good person. I hope I wasn't wrong. Usually I have a pretty damned good ability to sniff out bullshit, so this is coming as a surprise to me. Some here may say, "We told you so!", and while I would normally take what they say for experience far beyond my own, there are rare times where I will stop and say, "No, something doesn't add up here."

I'm not going to jump in and go to bat for you, as there is some pretty disturbing information presented here, but I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt, in that you will answer up and make things right. Hopefully you do. :(

A BOTL should just give away the scraps or at most have the receiver cover shipping. That's all that really needed to be said on that issue. Unfortunately sometimes people need a reminder.

And so I understand the other issue, the CP definition of hobbyist does not include recouping your labor costs, only products costs? If you recoup labor you must represent yourself as a retailer? Is there also an limit on the number of hours you work or the amount of product you sell that sets a limit between retailer and hobbyist?

John

The way I see it, John, is that if you're profiting off of a good or service regardless of time spent it should be in the retailers forum.

And so I understand the other issue, the CP definition of hobbyist does not include recouping your labor costs, only products costs? If you recoup labor you must represent yourself as a retailer? Is there also an limit on the number of hours you work or the amount of product you sell that sets a limit between retailer and hobbyist?

The other issue John, is that QUITE A FEW here felt from the very beginning that Bill came in here and presented himself as a "hobbyist" from the get go. While they felt he was really using CP as a business platform for promotion/new clientele under a thinly veiled guise.

It was very predictable when he suddenly announced that he was going into business, and also predictable was a lot of PM's going back and forth calling BS. This was never out in the open too much as we all thought he had Rod's blessing at the time.

You know how the saying goes though..............."Give a man enough rope!"

Had he just come in and said "Hi My name is Bill! I offer such and such custom built Humidors, and I'd also like to be considered a BOTL". .......Well, that might have gone a bit better. I knew this was only a matter of time.

And here I looked at this thread for a good riddle....

Patient: When is a cigar not a cigar?
Freud: When it's a penis.

What, exactly, did this have to do with anything? If new members don't have something positive/constructive to contribute to an important thread such as this, posting nothing at all is the best idea.

I'm not going to jump in and go to bat for you, as there is some pretty disturbing information presented here, but I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt, in that you will answer up and make things right. Hopefully you do.
sad.gif

There is very little chance he will be addressing these issues. He was on the board last night posting multiple times all the while avoing the questions posed to him in those threads and I also pm'ed him last night to see if he would be answering or avoiding....guess what? No response!. Gonna be hard to make things right at this point, because he obviously can't remember how much he charges for things, is charging us for waste that someone else has already paid for so he's profitting twice, and like John said, there were quite a few of us that were going behind the scenes because bullshit was sniffed out immediately when he started posting.

It's amazing how quickly you can turn a "hobby" into a full fledged business when you find the right clientele.

....it's also amazing how deafing the sound of silence is, because the longer he sidesteps these questions, pms, and such, the worse off he is.

edit...spelling

John
I would say so John. A hobbyist does things for the enjoyment of just doing what he/she likes. Once labor costs are factored into a finished product, it's no longer being done as a hobby, but as a way to produce a profit for themselves, creating that proverbial line in the sand.

Bill has employees to pay and profits off of his humidors so there is no argument whatsoever as to where he stands in the hobbyist/retailer discussion.

I'm not going to jump in and go to bat for you, as there is some pretty disturbing information presented here, but I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt, in that you will answer up and make things right. Hopefully you do.
sad.gif

There is very little chance he will be addressing these issues. He was on the board last night posting multiple times all the while avoing the questions posed to him in those threads and I also pm'ed him last night to see if he would be answering or avoiding....guess what? No response!. Gonna be hard to make things right at this point, because he obviously can't remember how much he charges for things, is charging us for waste that someone else has already paid for so he's profitting twice, and like John said, there were quite a few of us that were going behind the scenes because bullshit was sniffed out immediately when he started posting.

It's amazing how quickly you can turn a "hobby" into a full fledged business when you find the right clientele.

....it's also amazing how deafing the sound of silence is, because the longer he sidesteps these questions, pms, and such, the worse off he is.

edit...spelling

Brian I'm sure he's not ignoring the questions he's just looking for a clever response that he can add a ;) or :D or :thumbs: to. Seems that's more his M.O. Remember he's a BOTL first and a businessman umm, hobbyist umm, guy who makes humidors second.

He should be shown the door. - and you will note, I don't say that often.

The $5 he's looking to get cost him his reputaion and any standing he may have thought he had in the cigar forums.

Then asking for $10 for a $5 bag....that's called gouging.

Had he just come in and said "Hi My name is Bill! I offer such and such custom built Humidors, and I'd also like to be considered a BOTL". .......Well, that might have gone a bit better. I knew this was only a matter of time.

Waxing Moon did that, and it has made everything pretty smooth (so far) for him.

He should be shown the door. - and you will note, I don't say that often.

The $5 he's looking to get cost him his reputaion and any standing he may have thought he had in the cigar forums.

Then asking for $10 for a $5 bag....that's called gouging.

He'll never be able to recover the true cost of those bags of floor sweepings. Those must be some niiiice shavings.

Open and honest from the start would have been so much easier.

You guys are wasting your breath. I read a post by him on another board, the last time he had issues here, that he wasn't going to be run off under any circumstances. Until Rod decides to ban him for being a parasite the only way to deal with this leach is to ignore him and simply don't play with him.

Doc.

Ahem, Phil (Insight)....what say you?

I think... like most of the issues we have here this discussion could have been avoided if early on the detractors had not been busy playing emperor's new clothes.

I also think Gavin should stop jumping into every volatile thread, it doesn't look good.

6 User(s) are reading this topic
4 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users

1. jfields,
2. Humidor Minister,
3. grateful1,
4. insight

I don't normally post these as I know it adds no value, but I figure in this case........................

6 User(s) are reading this topic
4 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users

1. jfields,
2. Humidor Minister,
3. grateful1,
4. insight

I don't normally post these as I know it adds no value, but I figure in this case........................

This should be good....he's been writing for quite a while now. I can hardly wait!
thumbs-up.gif