• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When does a $5 bag Spanish Cedar Chips cost $10?

I was just trying to help the guy. Sorry if you thought I was trying to make a buck. I paid for the wood and in a package of shavings is about equal to what I paid for it. No profiteering on it. I am a contributor here. I've been busy at work and my lap top has a broken power port so I don't get to post as much as I use to. I work 9:00 to 6:00 then go home, eat then head out to my shop and work to around 11:00PM. When I get the lap top fixed I will contribute more from home.
As far as what the 10 bucks would have got you goes, it's about a cubic foot of material packed. Probably 2 or more board feet. Spanish cedar is about 8 bucks a BF. But honestly, pay the postage and I'll send you all of it for free. It's not a big deal.
When everyone came down on me a long time ago I was told to "Read more, post less" With my computer problems that's what I've been doing.
Also, something that goes on behind the scenes that no one is considering, is that I get a lot of PM's asking for advice on peoples own builds. I reply to the best of my knowledge and offer any resources I can to help. I contribute regularly in that arena.
This economy has hit my business very hard. Down 70%+ from 2 years ago. I'm working many more hours than in the past to beat this economy into submission. I will be doing more reviews and much more in the future. And just so you know, I've only built 2 desk tops since November. I'm not in any kind production. I'm mostly working on the curved cabinet I posted a while back. Jumping to conclusions isn't the way to resolve an issue. I'm disappointed so many respected people here did. I apologize if anyone is offended, it's not my intention. It's too bad you have never met me. I think you all would have a different opinion.

Ahem, Phil (Insight)....what say you?

I think... like most of the issues we have here this discussion could have been avoided if early on the detractors had not been busy playing emperor's new clothes.

I also think Gavin should stop jumping into every volatile thread, it doesn't look good.
I apologize. My earlier post was in poor taste, only posted because I was reminded by the title of the post of riddles. To my knowledge I've only jumped into two volatile threads, what's-his-face with the Westchester cigar club, and Fred. In one other situation, a volatile situation found a thread I was already in, and I tried to diffuse it. But your point is well taken, my apologies.

I was just trying to help the guy. Sorry if you thought I was trying to make a buck. I paid for the wood and in a package of shavings is about equal to what I paid for it. No profiteering on it. I am a contributor here. I've been busy at work and my lap top has a broken power port so I don't get to post as much as I use to. I work 9:00 to 6:00 then go home, eat then head out to my shop and work to around 11:00PM. When I get the lap top fixed I will contribute more from home.
As far as what the 10 bucks would have got you goes, it's about a cubic foot of material packed. Probably 2 or more board feet. Spanish cedar is about 8 bucks a BF. But honestly, pay the postage and I'll send you all of it for free. It's not a big deal.
When everyone came down on me a long time ago I was told to "Read more, post less" With my computer problems that's what I've been doing.
Also, something that goes on behind the scenes that no one is considering, is that I get a lot of PM's asking for advice on peoples own builds. I reply to the best of my knowledge and offer any resources I can to help. I contribute regularly in that arena.
This economy has hit my business very hard. Down 70%+ from 2 years ago. I'm working many more hours than in the past to beat this economy into submission. I will be doing more reviews and much more in the future. And just so you know, I've only built 2 desk tops since November. I'm not in any kind production. I'm mostly working on the curved cabinet I posted a while back. Jumping to conclusions isn't the way to resolve an issue. I'm disappointed so many respected people here did. I apologize if anyone is offended, it's not my intention. It's too bad you have never met me. I think you all would have a different opinion.

You're disappointed?

Did you really just say that?

If you were trying to help the guy you would've offered to send it to him for free. Kind of like when someone says they would love to try a certain cigar and another brother will ask for their addy. They are looking to send him a free cigar to help not charge him for it.

Next, The fact you paid for the wood is a pathetic excuse since the only reason it is now shavings and imo garbage is because you are making a humidor out of it which you have already charged for. So your wood is paid for already and now you are just double dipping.

The rest of your post is just sad. Do you expect us to excuse these transgressions because the economy has been hard on you. Lot's of brothers on this board have been laid off, others have their own business as well which they are trying to keep afloat. You are not the only one working harder to make ends meet. It still does not excuse your attempts to sell scrap wood to members of this community under the guise of trying to help

Selling the shavings is akin to selling cigar bands, imo. You're a retailer, so you can do what you want, though. I think it's clear that the community is encouraging you to give these away for the cost of shipping. Hopefully you'll come out and clearly state that is what you'll do.

You've represented yourself as a retailer since July '09 when you opened the new shop. I don't see how the watchdogs "knowing" you were going to do this and that you were a retailer representing yourself as a hobbyist has anything to do with anything. It's a he said / she said that will never have a winner.

Problem is John, that with a quick search online I've found 30 pound bags of kiln dried Spanish cedar chips for 10 dollars plus shipping. It must be a mighty large sock to hold 30 pounds.

Also those chips are guaranteed 100% clean since they are not woodworking byproducts, big difference to the results of gathering up all the shavings and dust left over from a project and putting it in a bag (been an avid woodworker for years trust me on that).

I have nothing wrong with him making a small profit off what basically is a waste product. Gouging I do have a problem with, and I think gouging is what is being addressed here John.

Problem is John, that with a quick search online I've found 30 pound bags of kiln dried Spanish cedar chips for 10 dollars plus shipping. It must be a mighty large sock to hold 30 pounds.

Also those chips are guaranteed 100% clean since they are not woodworking byproducts, big difference to the results of gathering up all the shavings and dust left over from a project and putting it in a bag (been an avid woodworker for years trust me on that).

I have nothing wrong with him making a small profit off what basically is a waste product. Gouging I do have a problem with, and I think gouging is what is being addressed here John.

Yeah, I understand that now. That's a good explanation. I just don't know how to tell if this is intentional gouging or a guy just picking a price for scraps he has laying around.

-John

edit:sp

I'm so glad to see your willingness to support an American small business in these tough times. I guess China is a better investment. Their open for business just for you.

I'm so glad to see your willingness to support an American small business in these tough times. I guess China is a better investment. Their open for business just for you.

Not the path to go down, imo. Turn it the other way around and people in tough times are going to choose the lowest price.

I'm glad you're willing to help the economy by charging cash strapped Americans high prices for your wood scraps.

You've represented yourself as a retailer since July '09 when you opened the new shop. I don't see how the watchdogs "knowing" you were going to do this and that you were a retailer representing yourself as a hobbyist has anything to do with anything. It's a he said / she said that will never have a winner.

Keep straddling the fence making your "well he's right, but he's also wrong" posts John, like you always do. How many times have you posted in these threads giving some sort of defense towards the person in question while also making some comment like the one above to the people calling the person out? Calling Doc out for making a comment about "know-it-all newbs"...he wasn't talking directly about one person, it was a group. He's not allowed to share his opinion like you do? Remember "you're not above critiquing" yourself.

The "watchdogs" you speak of were the ones that spoke up initially last year when he came into CP as a Hobbyist selling humidors for $800+ dollars. Yea, I'm sure the materials were expensive but $800 worth? Like many have said, if he came into CP saying, "Hi, my name is Bill. I make nice humidors that I enjoy making, but I charge what I do to supplement my income and to cover labor for all the hours I spend on making these. I look forward to being a part of this community and look for my products in the retailers section.", things may not have turned out like they did. Yea, his stuff is beautiful and he should get top dollar for them, but that wasn't the purpose of what happened then.

There's nothing wrong with a business man making money, but when you come out and say "I'll sell you product X for $10" and then turn around in another post saying "I sell product X for $5 if you're interested" something's wrong. It always amazes me how quickly stories change and excuses are made when someone picks up on one of these gaffs and the person is called out on it. Case in point....Mr.Mac. He got called on a price and all of the sudden "I'm sorry, it's a typo." ....Ya seen him around the boards since that thread?

Is American made sawdust superior to imported Chinese knockoff sawdust? So exactly how do we measure sawdust in board feet? They aren't boards....anymore

So that said.......
I have some fresh dogshit to sell as air freshener if anyone wants some $10 for a big ole Zip-Loc, that's equivalent to at least 10 pounds of steak that I feed my dogs, a bargain at any price and it will definitely smell better than the BS he's dishing out.

You really don't get it.

Yep, he doesn't Joe Joe. Humi Mini, just take your ball and go home. I don't buy your B.S. story about your computer not working and you not being able to post. In the middle of all this drama when some hard questions were presented to you, instead of answering them and defending what worthless reputation you had left, you're out posting another thread begging for CP prayers for a tragedy that occurred to one of your employees. As tragic as that may be, you made the time to post there as well as two other times, but neglected to show your face here in this thread. Your misdirection and smileys and all the other crap you pull has been cut through, and you're being exposed for what you are.

Like John (jfields) said, a lot of us have kept our mouths shut because we were under the impression that you had The Todd's blessing. Many many months back when I asked you about an ashtray, and you gave me a figure, it was insanity. I could not believe that you had presented yourself as a BOTL to the community with a "hobby" for making cool looking ashtrays and humidors, then behind the scenes you were asking close to $300 for a 4-seater ashtray.

I wish I still had the PM, but when I asked you about the cost of materials, and you gave me a number, I started scratching my head as to why you'd charge that much for a material that didn't cost as much as the ashtray and the price you gave me. In my opinion, I thought as a self-proclaimed BOTL, you'd just be charging enough for materials to keep your "hobby" expenses down so you can continue to build. I PM'd you back and asked you why the price was so high, and you danced around the price question until you finally told me that most of the cost was for your hours of work. Based on the time you told me, I think you said around 4 hours of work per ashtray, I was paying close to $50 bucks an hour for your labor, then materials, and shipping and handling. When I still said no, you then told me that we could work out a partial cigars/money trade for it. That's when I stopped communicating with you and wrote you off as a swindler. Some price for a "hobbyist" BOTL who's just here to "contribute" to the community.

And don't even get me started on your Woodworker of the Year or whatever it is patch that you posted a thread about and asked CPers to go vote
for you!! I think you titled it, "I could use your votes please."

I'm in another wood working contest on Fine Wood Working's website. I made the top 15 wood turnings selected by Fine Wood Working magazine's editors but the winner is up to the public. I was hoping that if you feel I'm deserving of your vote that you might vote for me. My turning is called Monsoon. Here's the link and thanks.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/18577/vote-for-the-winner-of-our-wood-turning-gallery-challenge

Yeah, way to just win a woodworking Cub Scout patch on honesty and integrity. So many of my fellow newbies are such worshipers of you and your work (too much Kool-Aid imo), and although I don't dispute your craftsmanship, I can't support a man with no integrity. You passed yourself off as just a "regular BOTL" who likes to make ashtrays and humidors and happens to charge extortionate prices for them. You're no better than a London bridge salesman, and now that the veil has been lifted by some well-respected members who "jumped to conclusions," you're backpedaling and providing shitty excuses for your deafening silence.

The firm I found was in Vermont but whatever...

Like John (jfields) said, a lot of us have kept our mouths shut because we were under the impression that you had The Todd's blessing. Many many months back when I asked you about an ashtray, and you gave me a figure, it was insanity. I could not believe that you had presented yourself as a BOTL to the community with a "hobby" for making cool looking ashtrays and humidors, then behind the scenes you were asking close to $300 for a 4-seater ashtray.

I wish I still had the PM, but when I asked you about the cost of materials, and you gave me a number, I started scratching my head as to why you'd charge that much for a material that didn't cost as much as the ashtray and the price you gave me. In my opinion, I thought as a self-proclaimed BOTL, you'd just be charging enough for materials to keep your "hobby" expenses down so you can continue to build. I PM'd you back and asked you why the price was so high, and you danced around the price question until you finally told me that most of the cost was for your hours of work. Based on the time you told me, I think you said around 4 hours of work per ashtray, I was paying close to $50 bucks an hour for your labor, then materials, and shipping and handling. When I still said no, you then told me that we could work out a partial cigars/money trade for it. That's when I stopped communicating with you and wrote you off as a swindler. Some price for a "hobbyist" BOTL who's just here to "contribute" to the community.

That's funny Jonathan!

I had the EXACT same conversation with him when he first came here and I inquired about his work. I was thinking a trade of some rarities for his talented skills. The response was all business, even mentioning a down payment.
The rest pretty much went down as you describe all the way to the writing him off part.

John,
You really seem like a solid dude and I like you, but Jonesy is right. You should try watching these threads play out more before posting "X is right, and Y is wrong."
I know you just want to see the good in people. However, QUITE a bit often more often than not the "Watchdog Group" is right.

That's another thing! I don't know why, but your use of the word Watchdog annoyed me.

So it's looking like Bill was business all along for sure. ;)