• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente 858 Natural

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
What a picture perfect day! 60ish temps, slight breeze, blue sky with a few lazy clouds floating past. I’m hoping that stick No. 4 is a good one to spend the afternoon with. Let’s find out, shall we? The wrapper is a nice medium brown with not much by way of oils showing, and I notice a lot of small black specks of “tooth”. Construction is good, the leaf smooth with small veins intertwining throughout. There’s a slight give when squeezing, and I find a few soft spots, however nothing too serious. It has a decent enough weight, maybe a tad bit on the light side, with very nice bunching in the foot. I’m not getting much smell from the foot, however once the cap was punched, the draw, which had almost a perfect resistance, tasted of buttery cocoa.

Beginning 1/3
The wife and baby girl came out to enjoy the beautiful day, so I held off on the lighting to have some family fun time. However, they’ve now gone back in, and I’m ready to put fire to the foot and see what this cigar will do. I use my trusty Zippo with the Z-Plus and torch the foot, starting in the center and working my way outwards in a circular motion every so slowly. I stop, blow on the embers, and watch to make sure there’s glowing reddish-orange engulfing the entire foot. If not, I quickly do a touch up torch and blow again. Once lit, I take a couple puffs to get the smoke flowing good, tasting and smelling as I do to get my an initial thought on what is to come. Ah here we go! First draw, and there is a perfect amount white pepper spice that hits the back of the throat. The smoke itself is a nice mild-medium body, very creamy and light on the palate. However, exhaling through both the mouth and nose, I’m not detecting much by way of flavor. It’s as if the cigar has reached its peak and has past it, like a flavor was there but now gone. Not sure if that makes much sense. Alas, no taste and no finish to my palate. Yet, somehow I’m finding the smoke quite satisfying. This is intensely strange to say the least. The burn is sharp with a medium gray ash forming that holds strong, and tooth mottled throughout.

Middle 1/3
Towards the middle, I’m getting a very light nuttiness in the creamy, almost buttery mild-medium bodied smoke. There’s still a nice white pepper spice on the back of the throat, and basically nothing as far as finish. The burn continues to be sharp with a strong, medium gray ash, and a very good draw.

Final 1/3
Finishing up, the final third smoked a bit hot, and I got a flavor of straightforward charred tobacco on the palate. The spice was still there and the smoke a mild to medium body. There was a very short finish coming through, not all too unpleasant. The burn was perfect all the way to the end.

Summary: I have to say that although there wasn’t much real flavor in the smoke, I still did enjoy it. The mild to medium bodied smoke was very light and that of sweet, creamy butter on the palate. Not to mention a perfect amount of spice. It had an exceptional burn with a strong, medium gray ash. Not bad at all.

This is cigar #4 in Moki’s blind cigar review 2 – Click here

01-31-09AF858Nat001.jpg

01-31-09AF858Nat002.jpg

01-31-09AF858Nat003.jpg

01-31-09Imported089.jpg

01-31-09Imported139.jpg

01-31-09AF858Nat004.jpg

01-31-09Imported075.jpg

01-31-09Imported156.jpg

Nice review, as always. :)

I enjoy these quite a bit. They're straightforward, inexpensive cigars. If I'm not puffing on a corncob pipe while fishing I'm usually puffing on one of these.