• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente Opus X Shark 2009

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Most of the snow is gone now with a few patches here and there in the shadows. We had a grand time while it lasted though, but it’s time for it to go. It’s 63F on the back porch with only a slight wind blowing and plenty of warm sun soaking into my clothes, feeling really good. With the Opus Shark, I decided to have a glass or two of the Ten Fidy beer I picked up yesterday. As I crack the can open and begin to pour, the stuff looks exactly like used motor oil! Black and thick with a deliciously sweet smell, and as I take my first sip, it feels oily and very smooth over the tongue with what I believe is almost a fruity taste, sweet and incredibly good! This is an excellent beer!

With the cello removed from the Opus Shark, I can see the cigar is of excellent construction, definitely made by the hands of a craftsman. The foot starts out very box pressed, tapers down to a torpedo head, and the golden brown wrapper glistens in the sunlight, smooth with very little vein showing. It has a good weight to it, has a slight give when squeezed, and after clipping a bit off the head I find the draw perfect with a taste of fresh tobacco.

I take my time putting fire to the foot, enjoying the sweet aroma of the smoke wafting up to my nose, sweet Opus leaf afire. With the foot completely engulfed in glowing orange embers, I take a few puffs and smoke pours through in abundance. Medium strength spice hits the back of the throat in the first good draw, which now seems to be a bit on the loose side. I can immediately tell there’s a burn issue due to a lot of puffing, plenty of smoke coming through, however the burn is going nowhere. After much puffing and purging, the fire finally starts to move, however unevenly. I continue to puff and purge, taking a draw here and there that does produce a quite delicious smoke.

Through the first third, the burn was decent enough, however I had constant issues with the cigar wanting to go out and not much smoke being produced. The medium gray ash forming was loose and flaky, however held well until finally tapped off. I will say that when I did get a good draw of smoke through, it was rich and smooth with the perfect amount of spice on the tongue and throat. Flavors are that of wood, roasted nuts, and a hint of vanilla, which pairs perfectly with the Ten Fidy that I’m enjoying tremendously.

Unfortunately, the burn/draw issues continue on through the midway mark, and I’m finding myself puffing and purging more than just sitting back enjoying the cigar. However, it’s an Opus Shark and I must continue on. After taking several puffs, I do get a good draw and find the smoke a medium to almost full strength with a delicately smooth body that is very good. As previously stated, the beer is working really well with the flavors, and must say that I can’t tell if it’s the beer, cigar, or both that’s now going to my head. Oh….yeah!

As I pour the last bit of Ten Fidy into my glass, and head into the final third of the cigar, I am laid back in my chair and thoroughly relaxed. My face is numb, and I can’t feel my fingers, but what the Hell. I’m completely enjoying myself. :laugh: The Opus is finally burning well and delicious smoke is pouring effortlessly through the spot on draw. As I exhale slowly through the mouth and nose, perfect spice tickles the nostrils and a lasting finish is left on the palate. Although there were burn/draw issues for the majority of the cigar, it was still quite enjoyable and paired with the Tin Fidy, a thoroughly wonderful Valentine’s Day afternoon.

DSC06812-1.jpg

DSC06821-1.jpg

DSC06818.jpg

DSC06835-1.jpg

02-14-10AFOpusShark001.jpg

02-14-10AFOpusShark002.jpg

Nice review....I smoked one from 2006 from the coffin, and it blew me away. The burn was flawless and I have to say it was one of the better smokes I can remember.

Great review, super photos. I am jealous.

Isn't that Ten Fidy an interesting brew? Sure can taste the wine notes.

I really like that first person smoking shot. I've messed with that a couple of times and I just couldn't get a shot (or focus) that I liked.

I had similar issues with the Opus Shark. It was still tasty though. Give the Love Affair a try. Burn was amazing.

Great review once again,thanks a lot.
Greg,you have too much free time :laugh: the forum is full with your reviews.
Keep it up.

Great review and pictures as always, Greg! :)

Man, I just need to try that dang Ten Fidy. I've just been wary about dropping $15 on a fourpack of canned beer. :laugh:

Ten Fidy is my favorite Imperial Stout. The rise in price from $11 a 4pack to $15-16 this year kinda irked me so I only got one....last year I must have bought a case of the stuff. I still have some 2008 cans that are drinking very nicely...try aging a can or two and you'll be surprised at how much it changes.

I still have an Opus Shark from an earlier release and have been meaning to smoke it.