• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente OR Opus X Reserva D’Chateau

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Temperature in the shade is reading right at 96.1F, however the humidity is fortunately lower today at 44%. Luckily there’s a breeze blowing, which actually feels nice sitting on the back porch. I decided I would spend a lazy Sunday afternoon smoking an original release Opus Reserva D’Chateau. Once removed from the yellow cello, I find the wrapper is medium brown in color and somewhat blotchy, coarse with noticeable oil, and has prominent veins running throughout. There’s a solid weight to it, has a slight give when squeezed, and with the cap punched I find the draw with just a little too much resistance, however air is flowing through well enough. I’m getting a cinnamon and citrus taste in the cold draw.

With fire to the foot and a couple puffs later, smoke is flowing well. My first few draws are of a very mild smoke with a slight bitterness both in the smoke and on the lips. However, once the burn really got going good and the ash had reached probably a quarter inch, the smoke began to evolve. I’m getting spice, however it’s not immediately there on the back of the tongue and throat, but seems to take a second before really detectable, as if it’s in slow motion. It lingers on the palate. I’m trying really hard to think of how to describe the flavors, but all I can think of is Opus Rosado off the bat. Rustic comes to mind. Old, worn leather with hints of a semi-sweet cinnamon and an aged oak cask.

The burn is sharp with a dull, medium gray ash forming that is holding well. I’m finding the draw does have a little too much resistance, however is working well with the good medium-bodied smoke that is cool and smooth over the palate. As I exhale the smoke slowly through my mouth and nose, the word Rosado again comes to mind in a huge way. So far, there’s a kind of bitter sweetness in the initial exhale, however after a couple of seconds it dissipates and a decent finish is there, yet doesn’t last very long.

Hitting the halfway mark, the smoke turns to full-bodied with the spice hitting a little bit harder than it had been. Flavors is leaning more and more to a straightforward tobacco taste. The burn wants to start going to one side slightly, however is correcting itself well with the ash a dull looking gray and quite flaky, however is holding strong until tapped off in the ashtray. There’s still that bitter sweetness while exhaling the smoke with the finish continuing to be decent, but very short on the palate.

I have to say the final third was simply that of strong, straightforward tobacco with a fairly powerful spice hitting the back of the throat. The burn was sharp with a light gray ash and an abundance of smoke flowing through the draw, which had opened up well at this point. There’s not much to tell as far as the finish, and it got a bit hot and bitter towards the end, so I finally just put it down. I unfortunately was not impressed with this cigar, an Opus taste was there, however I had hoped for more in an OR.

06-28-09OROpusRDC001.jpg

06-28-09OROpusRDC002.jpg

06-28-09OROpusRDC003.jpg

06-28-09OROpusRDC004.jpg

Nice review Greg. While I have never had an OR, it is nice to see an honest review. Most would probably be so hyped to smoke one that it may jilt the senses to believing it was perfection. Pics were awesome as usual.

Don't know what's worse. To be an MLB catcher with IBS or smoking an OR OpusX only to be disappointed. ;) Nice review Greg.

Well, as they say, "You win some, you lose some..." Despite that, another great review, Greg. Sorry to hear the stick was a bit of a letdown. :(

So wait, now I've gotta throw out every OR Opus I see?? Dammit. Well SPIVY, you heard the man. Send them to me for destruction!

Sorry it was a disappointment Greg, nice that you're objective though. :thumbs:

So wait, now I've gotta throw out every OR Opus I see?? Dammit. Well SPIVY, you heard the man. Send them to me for destruction!

How come I get dragged into every conversation. I understand if we were talking about your fabled Platinum Medals. :laugh: I won't lie... I had an OR Opus No 2 and it did not blow my mind. It was good but not unbelievable.

Greg the OR RDC I smoked a couple weeks ago was disappointing as well. The OR Robo that I had this weekend did not disappoint!

Very nice review. IMHO the best O-X for me has been the #5. Not the biggest, the best cigar or the most expensive. Just a very good cigar. It's important to be honest with yourself. You've done a great job of that here. :thumbs:

Once again great review and pictures. I never had the chance to smoke an OR. Glad I'm not missing much!

Rich

I enjoy reading your reviews, all of them. I find reviews a great way for beginners like myself to learn. It also helps because I am not as confused when going into my local cigar shop for a purchase. My "want" list is growing longer. Thank you.

How come I get dragged into every conversation. I understand if we were talking about your fabled Platinum Medals. :laugh: I won't lie... I had an OR Opus No 2 and it did not blow my mind. It was good but not unbelievable.

I smoked an OR Opus Robusto today at a little get together with Smokin'Sims.

...honestly, it wasn't all it's hyped up to be...but it was good enough that I'm glad I still have 9 more. :laugh:

Greg, I'm about to fire up one of mine . . . I hope it's better, Brother.

Greg the OR RDC I smoked a couple weeks ago was disappointing as well. The OR Robo that I had this weekend did not disappoint!

...honestly, it wasn't all it's hyped up to be...but it was good enough that I'm glad I still have 9 more. :laugh:

Okay......so am I the only one trying to find out where the hell 5 of youse got Original Release Opii?? ??? Seriously, someone's gotta be handing these bitches out like candy! (Note to self...rob SPIVY.*) I'm thinking an "ISO OR Opus" is soon to come here. :)

*See? I DO manage to fit you in!
:p

Okay......so am I the only one trying to find out where the hell 5 of youse got Original Release Opii?? ??? Seriously, someone's gotta be handing these bitches out like candy! (Note to self...rob SPIVY.*) I'm thinking an "ISO OR Opus" is soon to come here. :)

HAHA. No need to rob anyone. Now how would that look if a copper got in trouble for robbing a civilian? :laugh:

Make that six of us, but I on have a couple :).

Jim