• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AVO Campanero LE09

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
This cigar was made to celebrate Avo Uvezian’s 83rd birthday and is rolled in a dark brown, oily Ecuadorian wrapper with Dominican binder and various ligero leaves for the filler. It’s a good sized toro that’s quite hefty in the hand, very firm when squeezed, and one prominent vein running the length. Using the largest ring gauge on my knife to punch the cap, I find a perfect draw with a taste of fresh tobacco.

With the foot torched, I take a few puffs to get the smoke flowing well, and find it to be a good medium in body with a nice touch of white pepper spice coming through. Flavors are very good, that of worn leather, dark earth, and what I would describe as a musty fruitiness.

The burn wants to go to one side slightly, but nothing major that would require touching up. A medium gray ash is forming that is quite loose and flaky, yet holds until tapped off in the ashtray. Medium-bodied smoke is flowing well through the perfect draw and still has a good spice on the back of the throat with flavors remaining consistent.

This cigar performed well with decent enough burn, good flavors, and lasting finish on the palate. It did get a little hot and bitter towards the end and seemed like the tobacco was still quite young. I’d say these still need a little more downtime for the tobacco to meld more together and the true flavors to come through. A very good smoke though!

08-29-09AVOCampanero001.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

08-29-09AVOCampanero002.jpg

08-29-09AVOCampanero003.jpg

08-29-09AVOCampanero004.jpg

Nice review, I had similar impressions. You're going to have to show me how to take pictures!

-Mark

Pardon my overall newbness but generally speaking, are the dark colored filler leaves interspersed in the foot any indicator of ligero filling?

Nice review Greg, as always!

These are great cigars, though I agree with your assessment that they are a bit young. The price on them isn't too attractive, though....

Great review, Greg, short and to the point! :thumbs:

Great review and well timed. A B&M in Yorktown, NY, is hosting Avo Uvezian himself for a cigar dinner on Sept 2 that I'm attending. They also promise to have a keyboard there for him to entertain a little (plus we get some Avo samples).

John

Thanks for the cool review Greg, I've been wondering about this smoke since they first came out. I wonder how it compares to the AVO 80th? Those are medium bodied to me also.

Thanks for the great review. I was looking forward to trying one of these sticks at a dinner my local B&M is hosting with Avo tomorrow. I hope my experience is better than yours. As an aside, I just wanted to let you know that I have greatly enjoyed reading your many reviews pinned on this site.

Thanks for the cool review Greg, I've been wondering about this smoke since they first came out. I wonder how it compares to the AVO 80th? Those are medium bodied to me also.

I enjoy the 80th and the 787, but the LE 09 is the best AVO that I have smoked, I find it has more body. I wish I had bought more.

Ken

edited to add: thanks for the review, as always it was great.