• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AVO LE 05 80th Humidor

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
What an absolutely beautiful day with clear blue sky, faint breeze, and temps right above 50F. I ran a few errands early this morning and after getting home loved on my baby girl for a bit, had a bit of lunch, and went looking for a smoke. I grabbed two of the cigars I got from David (Azoetia) and was trying to decide which one to smoke, the AVO LE 05 OR or from the 80th Humidor. I held them up and asked my wife which one, and she picked the 80th Humidor (excellent).

The Connecticut seed, Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper is a medium brown with noticeable oil, tooth, and one prominent vein running the length. As I squeeze the cigar, it is very firm with no soft spots, has a good weight in the hand, and the Dominican binder/filler bunching in the foot looks good. I punch the cap with the largest ring on my knife and find the draw with only a slight more resistance than I like, however more than enough air flowing through with a good, aged tobacco taste coming through.

I put fire to the foot and take a number of puffs to get the smoke flowing, take a long draw, and exhale slowly through the mouth and nose. I find it to be a rather mild strength with a mild spice on the back of the tongue. There’s a medium body, the smoke a little heavy on the tongue. Delicious wood and nut flavors come through with what seems like an herbal quality.

A third in and the burn is sharp with a compact, medium gray ash forming that is a bit flaky but holding strong. Good mild to almost medium strength smoke is flowing well through the draw that still has a little more resistance than I like. Flavors are consistent, having a somewhat rich, straightforward tobacco taste and mild spice hitting the tongue. The finish is delicious and lasting on the palate.

Halfway in I decide to go ahead and clip some off the head to see if it will help open the draw a little more, which it actually did. The burn continues to be sharp on into the final third with the smoke maybe leaning a bit more towards medium strength, the body a good medium as well. Flavors kick up a notch towards the end, becoming increasingly rich with the smoke smooth, creamy, and delicious! The finish is very lasting on the palate, lip smacking good. I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar and have to give many thanks to David for such an excellent experience on a beautiful day.

12-21-09AVOLE0580th001.jpg

12-21-09AVOLE0580th002.jpg

12-21-09AVOLE0580th003.jpg

Great review and pictures as always Greg! :thumbs:

I do enjoy Avo's myself, as they are a smooth, tasty smoke that always seems to please the palate. I think that the 80th's are pretty woodsy, but not unpleasantly so. I love the Classic No. 2, it really is a kick ass smoke! I really should work on aging a few...

I saw one of those 80th humidors... man it was pretty. One of the guys I know bought it.

Great review, by the way.

I had to google this cigar to find out more about it after your review Greg. I see a vendor with 5-packs for sale but seeing as I still have some AVO 80th Anni cigars, do you think these are similar in taste to them?

Greg, glad you enjoyed this one as well - just wait until you smoke the OR!

To respond to a previous post, I don't find the AVO 80th to be anything like any of the AVO LE05 variations. I was fortunate enough to have a local shop allow me to just buy the AVO 22s and AVO LE05s form the 80th humidor. Even though these two releases don't touch their original release counterparts in my opinion, they are still good cigars.

So, what's the difference between the 80th humidor and the OR LE-05? I have some ORs but have never tried the others. I'm asking because I got a just landed some more LE-05s and wonder if they are the later release. Thanks.

So, what's the difference between the 80th humidor and the OR LE-05? I have some ORs but have never tried the others. I'm asking because I got a just landed some more LE-05s and wonder if they are the later release. Thanks.

The leaf used for the ORs was just a really great crop. Once it was all used up, it was gone. Of course, we come to expect this since tobacco is a natural product and this happens to everyone (Opus X wrapper variations over the years is a great (and sad) example). To me, they haven't been able to match that OR taste with subsequent releases.

I really look forward to seeing Greg's review (and others thoughts) on the OR!

Ok, so I'm confused. I thought there were only LE-05s, period - no OR vs. later release. Were they sold in different quantities or w/ different wrappers? Both batches I have bought claim to be LE-05s but nobody mentioned OR to me. Can you find folks enlighten further?