Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Discussion in 'Cigar Reviews' started by denverdog, Jul 24, 2008.

1. golfgar

golfgar Bueller.... Bueller...... Anyone....... Anyone?

Mar 15, 2004
    St. Louis
    Thanks for the review! Well Done. Glad you enjoyed the stick.

mjolnir01 and MNBrian like this.
  2. Scap

Scap Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Houston
    Great review, @MNBrian
    It's almost 60* warmer down here, keep that cold stuff up your way!

MNBrian likes this.
  3. vortex

vortex "A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future

May 5, 2006
    Newark, DE
    Ah, I can't wait to smoke cigars in subfreezing temps! :) Maybe Friday.

Great review of a great cigar. I wonder the approximate age?

MNBrian likes this.
  4. Corneighdo

Corneighdo Corneighdo

Nov 17, 2016
    San Francisco
    What an interesting cigar Brian sent me to blind taste.

A very dark maduro wrapper, far from smooth. It is not entirely even in it's color, with some gradients of a dark espresso bean, and lighter shades along the veins which are present throughout. It’s about 6inches long, about a 48-50 RG.

Initially, the smell is very familiar. Aroma intensity is about a 6/10. On the cold draw, you get some dried fruit and that typical Cuban profile. First inclination are that this wrapper reminds me of some older EL CCs, and the smell would also suggest some age. However, when standing the stick up on it's foot, it barely stands up straight.

FullSizeRender 63.jpg

Pairing: Dry Hopped Tin City Cider.

Straight cut and away we go. The first 1-2 inches of this cigar taste like smoke. And cigar. Nothing more, nothing less. I realize I'm pretty anxious from watching my Seahawks on MNF, and I am smoking too fast. I slow it down and relax. Still, the flavor intensity is not matching the notes I expected from the initial aromatics I was getting. It is easy smoking, well constructed, and smooth in intensity. Pretty light bodied.

About half way through, flavor starts to pickup. I'm getting some spice, like ginger, some malty notes, and a bit of shortbread cookie. The smoke is thick and drawing well. Still light bodied, but very enjoyable.

The final inches of this cigar, the flavor really fell apart, which I was surprised by. Typically you get a build up of flavor that compounds. Not in this case. Overall, I enjoyed the cigar, but was left wanting more from the flavor profile. If I had to guess on this cigar, I would say it was an aged Nicaraguan with Habano seed. Maybe aged a bit too long, a bit past it’s prime.
    IMG_5142.JPG

Drumroll please…

IMG_8748.JPG
    AF GR Maduro. Hey, not totally far off! lol
    Can't wait to do this again one day!

CMontoya79 likes this.
  5. MNBrian

MNBrian Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Bloomington, MN
    Ha!

I really wanted you to try that AF because it's one of the few non-cc's that I still have in my rotation and I tend to really enjoy them (even when I get side-eye from fellow cigar enthusiasts for it). That one was a good five or so years old, but mileage may vary on it. Normally they finish stronger. I fear I somehow managed to pull you a dud from my box! :) I'm glad you got a chance to give it a shot! :)

6. Corneighdo

Corneighdo Corneighdo

Nov 17, 2016
    San Francisco
    5 years, nice! Definitely smelled that way, but smoke was lacking.
    Always enjoy smoking a blind stick from a BOTL!

MNBrian likes this.
  7. Napa_Smokes

Napa_Smokes Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Woodland, CA.
    Very good looking cigar. Nice medium brown wrapper. From the looks of it about 5 inches by 48. Intense earthy, sweet smell coming of the cigar. Pretty sure I know exactly what this cigar is before even smoking it and I’ve been telling Bri since it came in the mail. Enjoying it outside while my daughter plays and has a mug of hot cocoa.

E103032B-65B5-450A-B512-30A105208BA2.jpeg

First third: Nice amount of smoke, very smooth. Nutty and sweet with a nice subtle earthy/woodsy component to it. Definitely tasting the Cuban tobacco but question if that’s in my head cause I think I know what the cigar is or if it’s really there.

Madelyn has ditched her cocoa and is now terrorizing the dog.

8D16825C-3693-4929-B2BA-8C52B741956E.jpeg

Second Third: Flavors still saying the same but adding a bit of spice to the mix. I’m alsmot certain it’s the cigar I’m thinking of as I just smoked one a couple days ago and this is reminding me of the exact same experience.

E8572573-AC02-418B-A93A-AE60436C9E59.jpeg

Final Third: The smoke is becoming richer. More spice and wood. A little bitterness, like that from cocoa powder. Sweetness has become much more subtle. Nice complex smoke. Very aromatic and dense.

CEE224CC-6169-4E62-9BF5-ADCC72FB4D81.jpeg
    I’m going to have to go with my gut and guess that Ian is messing with me and sent me a cigar from a box we split a while ago. It has all the charastics of that cigar and the size is spot on. I have to go with it being a SLE JUN 16 VR Famosos

And the Reveal....

19779315-1BBD-4709-BFA5-CE6C238D844D.jpeg

So yeah, I was right. It probably helped that I had just smoked one of these a couple days ago that George Scott had gifted to me. I was pretty sure it was this cigar and Ian was messing with me by sending it, but thought I could be putting to much thought into it as well.

Overall I’m glad I tried it blind and truly enjoyed it. I will definitely be getting another box of them one of these days as they are a very delicious cigar.

Thanks Ian for sending it!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    vortex, jbfurdog, CMontoya79 and 3 others like this.
  8. Corneighdo

Corneighdo Corneighdo

Nov 17, 2016
    San Francisco
    Haha, I was gonna question if you couldn't guess this one - a complete lob. :p

I sent it because we split this box, but from what I could tell, you sold off your half (not knowing you had more), so I wanted to see if you regretted selling them, but sounds like you kept your fair share as well. ;)

vortex, CMontoya79 and jbfurdog like this.
  9. vortex

vortex "A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future

May 5, 2006
    Newark, DE
    Very funny. :p