Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Discussion in 'Cigar Reviews' started by denverdog, Jul 24, 2008.

1. mjolnir01

mjolnir01 El Cañón de Latón

Jun 1, 2008
    American Southwest
    Great review, Josh! The Singulare Phantom 2010 is widely regarded as the best cigar Illusione's ever put out. The new regular production Phantoms are good... the OR 2010 is borderline ethereal.

MNBrian, Scap and CMontoya79 like this.
  2. Succubus

Succubus Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    Of course he smokes it when I’m nowhere to be found

3. vortex

vortex "A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future

May 5, 2006
    Newark, DE
    If you're nowhere, it's a given you can't be found. :)

But even if you were somehow located, there are some things a man's gotta do on his own so back to the kitchen, woman! :p

bfreebern likes this.
  4. Scap

Scap Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Houston
    Wow, them's fighting words....lol

vortex and bfreebern like this.
  5. Succubus

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    Doesn’t that typically include your left hand and a playboy?

vortex likes this.
  6. vortex

vortex "A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future

May 5, 2006
    Newark, DE
    So Josh is a left handed Playboy? Who knew!?

Personally, I prefer ambidextrous playgirls.

smellysell likes this.
  7. Succubus

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    :rolleyes: Lol

8. Corneighdo

Corneighdo Corneighdo

Nov 17, 2016
    San Francisco
    Thank you all for your patience in me getting this posted:

The cigar Josh sent me is familiar looking, but upon closer inspection, it isn’t what I initially suspected: VR Famoso. It is sort of Robusto in size, sandy in color- about the hue of a cafe con leche. It stands up straight on the foot, construction is precise, and it feels heavy; dense. There are a few small, and some large, veins with a distinct wrapper seam. I take a V-Cut to the head and inspect.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I order a split of Mumm champagne to pair with the first half of the cigar. The dry draw and smell bring up notes of honey and hay - like something aged, similar to older Cohibas I’ve had. As I fire up the stick, I take my time, as the foot is quite dense. In the start, it is very subdued- some basic cedar and tobacco notes with hay and citrus coming through. It is giving me an interesting mouthfeel, some astringency and tannins like that of black tea. It is enjoyable, but lacking the complexity I desire- draw is a bit tight.

The next stage of the cigar came just before the second 3rd. The ash is salt and pepper, sort of like Idaho checkered granite. I’m smoking slow and the cigar is rewarding me for it. The draw is opening up, and so are the flavors. Grassy and peanut flavors start to emerge. It is smooth, but picking up in strength and providing that malted creaminess that I love. The peanut flavor is developing into hazelnut, but not too rich. I must say, this cigar has changed drastically since the start and I am extremely impressed.

FullSizeRender.jpg

As my sparkling runs out, I order a hopped Tin City cider. The final 3rd of this fine stick is bittersweet as it really starts to take me on a journey, but I know we only have a bit of time left together. A sweetness comes over my palate, from honey to caramel, with malted cream in the background. A couple of puffs in there reminded me of mexican chocomilk. The smoke really starts to build and the flavor and draw are perfection. Weirdly, in the finish, I get some popcorn notes as I take this down to a nub. Top 10 I’ve ever had, hands down.

I really have no clue what this could be- something I have never had. My best guest is that it is an aged Cuban in the perfect stage of it’s life - not too old, not too young, say 5 years old. As far as brand, it reminded me of Cohiba at first, but there is a lot more complexity in this cigar than Cohiba offers. Maybe an MdO?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Wow, I am not surprised - 10+ year old Punch Regional (Italy? Minutos?) Glad to finally have a Regional that really seems to stand up to the double band glory. Thank you Josh, it was truly a pleasure!!!

Edit: sp

mjolnir01 likes this.
  9. Succubus

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    Great review!! And that’s definitely Josh’s handwriting...can you see why I have difficulty reading cards from him? Lol...

Corneighdo likes this.
  10. Corneighdo

Corneighdo Corneighdo

Nov 17, 2016
    San Francisco
    Yeah, his signature looks like "-Jerk" :D

11. Succubus

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    Either that or “fork” lol

12. CMontoya79