Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Discussion in 'Cigar Reviews' started by denverdog, Jul 24, 2008.

1. mjolnir01

mjolnir01 El Cañón de Latón

Jun 1, 2008
    American Southwest
    Great review, Josh! The Singulare Phantom 2010 is widely regarded as the best cigar Illusione's ever put out. The new regular production Phantoms are good... the OR 2010 is borderline ethereal.

MNBrian, Scap and CMontoya79 like this.
  2. Succubus

Succubus Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    Of course he smokes it when I’m nowhere to be found

3. vortex

vortex "A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future

May 5, 2006
    Newark, DE
    If you're nowhere, it's a given you can't be found. :)

But even if you were somehow located, there are some things a man's gotta do on his own so back to the kitchen, woman! :p

bfreebern likes this.
  4. Scap

Scap Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Houston
    Wow, them's fighting words....lol

vortex and bfreebern like this.
  5. Succubus

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    Doesn’t that typically include your left hand and a playboy?

vortex likes this.
  6. vortex

vortex "A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future

May 5, 2006
    Newark, DE
    So Josh is a left handed Playboy? Who knew!?

Personally, I prefer ambidextrous playgirls.

smellysell likes this.
  7. Succubus

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    :rolleyes: Lol

8. Corneighdo

Corneighdo Corneighdo

Nov 17, 2016
    San Francisco
    Thank you all for your patience in me getting this posted:

The cigar Josh sent me is familiar looking, but upon closer inspection, it isn’t what I initially suspected: VR Famoso. It is sort of Robusto in size, sandy in color- about the hue of a cafe con leche. It stands up straight on the foot, construction is precise, and it feels heavy; dense. There are a few small, and some large, veins with a distinct wrapper seam. I take a V-Cut to the head and inspect.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I order a split of Mumm champagne to pair with the first half of the cigar. The dry draw and smell bring up notes of honey and hay - like something aged, similar to older Cohibas I’ve had. As I fire up the stick, I take my time, as the foot is quite dense. In the start, it is very subdued- some basic cedar and tobacco notes with hay and citrus coming through. It is giving me an interesting mouthfeel, some astringency and tannins like that of black tea. It is enjoyable, but lacking the complexity I desire- draw is a bit tight.

The next stage of the cigar came just before the second 3rd. The ash is salt and pepper, sort of like Idaho checkered granite. I’m smoking slow and the cigar is rewarding me for it. The draw is opening up, and so are the flavors. Grassy and peanut flavors start to emerge. It is smooth, but picking up in strength and providing that malted creaminess that I love. The peanut flavor is developing into hazelnut, but not too rich. I must say, this cigar has changed drastically since the start and I am extremely impressed.

FullSizeRender.jpg

As my sparkling runs out, I order a hopped Tin City cider. The final 3rd of this fine stick is bittersweet as it really starts to take me on a journey, but I know we only have a bit of time left together. A sweetness comes over my palate, from honey to caramel, with malted cream in the background. A couple of puffs in there reminded me of mexican chocomilk. The smoke really starts to build and the flavor and draw are perfection. Weirdly, in the finish, I get some popcorn notes as I take this down to a nub. Top 10 I’ve ever had, hands down.

I really have no clue what this could be- something I have never had. My best guest is that it is an aged Cuban in the perfect stage of it’s life - not too old, not too young, say 5 years old. As far as brand, it reminded me of Cohiba at first, but there is a lot more complexity in this cigar than Cohiba offers. Maybe an MdO?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Wow, I am not surprised - 10+ year old Punch Regional (Italy? Minutos?) Glad to finally have a Regional that really seems to stand up to the double band glory. Thank you Josh, it was truly a pleasure!!!

Edit: sp

kann and mjolnir01 like this.
  9. Succubus

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    Great review!! And that’s definitely Josh’s handwriting...can you see why I have difficulty reading cards from him? Lol...

Corneighdo likes this.
  10. Corneighdo

Corneighdo Corneighdo

Nov 17, 2016
    San Francisco
    Yeah, his signature looks like "-Jerk" :D

11. Succubus

Nov 26, 2015
    California
    Either that or “fork” lol

12. CMontoya79

CMontoya79 Newb Le professional!

Dec 8, 2008
    Denver,CO
    I see “Ink”.

13. modo22

modo22 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Finally got to smoke this near perfect looking cigar from Ian!! And I am finally getting around to posting the review! Here goes nothing....

This is a Nice looking corona gorda with a warm sweet smell, pre light, and cold draw. The smell is something I have fell in love with lately, I feel like I might know this stick from just the smell...or maybe the brand at least :)

IMG_E4561.JPG
    The very First few draws made me really happy. This thing gives the perfect amount of smoke with each draw. It’s thick with a leather taste to the pallet and a sweetish aroma upon exhale. Before the first third is even over with I get some strong white pepper. Not that it is not enjoyable but it snuck up on me. For sure smoking what I believe to be a CC. And at this point I will guess a boli, but I still have a ways to go.
    IMG_E4562.JPG
    The spice as backed off at the half way point and it’s more of a creamy leather than a in your face tone like before. Still really enjoying this. On the lower end of medium. Prefect mix of grey white ash so far. I love the aroma this gives off. Wish I could be smoking this inside some how. Still thinking CC but stuck between a boli and a RA.

As I finish it off, the burn and construction stay on point. This never got harsh and it was always full of tasty goodness!! I know I have had this and I know this brand is one of my fav CCs....but my final guess is a RA stick as I don't know of a Boli in this size.
    IMG_E4563.JPG
    And the winner is; Ramon Allones LCDH! I knew it, I was so close. I could tell just from the smell pre-light. Great smoke and great brand! Thank you sir!!!!!

14. jbfurdog

jbfurdog Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Ohio
    GO COCONUTS! Nice job on the review

modo22 likes this.
  15. Acclaym

Acclaym Moderation in moderation

Jun 14, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Color - Colorado Claro
    Size - Robusto 5" X 50

First Touch - Medium sized veins and a very fine tooth to the wrapper give it a rougher feel. I wouldnt call her the ugly friend but she's a 6 out of 10. A few libations and you'd take her home.

Prelight - I cut the cap and take a few dry draws in an attempt to gain a hint. I taste a familiar sweet leathery flavor which is leading me to believe it is CC. First thoughts are Montecristo but I've never seen a 5x50 Monte...

First Third - As we start puffing away on this bad boy baking spices like nutmeg are in the forefront as well as a bit of unsweetened cooking chocolate in the back. The burn is becoming a little jacked up as it starts to rain and the humidity picks up but it's no worry as it soon corrects itself.
    [​IMG]

Second Third - A sweeter profile emerges as we move towards the halfway point. Coffee with cream and sugar in a leather cup is how I'd describe it. Odd, I know. The ash finally breaks off after about 1.5" and it's worth noting that the draw has been flawless since the light. She's providing as much smoke as I care to pull - very enjoyable.
    [​IMG]

Final Third - The nutmeg is back and now the cooking chocolate I was tasting has turned to more of a milk chocolate. The burn has really tightened up and not a single young or bitter note can be found. This leads me to believe it may have at least a few years on it. One final 2" ash breaks off and I take a few last puffs before I set her down.
    [​IMG]

Overall great smoke with great construction and sweeter flavors. Two long ashes and a nub sit in the tray and I stare at them like they may give me one last hint... They don't. :rolleyes:[​IMG]

Strength - Medium
    Duration - 1.5 hours
    Rating - 4.25 out of 5

And the moment you've all been waiting for...(my extremely uneducated guess) *Drumroll Please*
    HDM EPICURE No.2 !?

[​IMG]

The H. Upmann Royal Robusto! Starts with an "H", I guess...:p Fun stuff, thanks Ben!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    CMontoya79 and cody5thou like this.
  16. kann

kann One Leg Of Fury.

Apr 29, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love reading these BCRs. Man, you all have some ridiculous experience, and I am in awe every time. Great reviews and photos, all.

Acclaym likes this.
  17. Corneighdo

Corneighdo Corneighdo

Nov 17, 2016
    San Francisco
    You should pick up Acclaym's pass!

kann and Acclaym like this.
  18. kann

kann One Leg Of Fury.

Apr 29, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'll certainly look into it. Thanks.

19. modo22

modo22 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Awesome review. I’m glad you enjoyed it my friend!!

Acclaym likes this.
  20. CigSid

CigSid Love this place...

Jan 25, 2014
    Southern California
    Great reviews...