• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Setting: My garage, cold but dry. My wife also called to inform me that she hit a patch of ice and bent her rim prior to me doing this review. :(

Great review, sorry to hear about the rim, but at least it was only the rim, right?

Yeah was the rim and her tire, the kicker is she bent my rim the week before in the same fashion :0 . I guess its just one of those things

As far as the GOF goes, I have one in the humi as well. I got a admit that I was some what suprised. It was almost like the cigar wanted to give me a little more, but didn't. It was sort of flat, if that makes sense. Everything I tasted was pretty straight forward, no depth and it never really changed. I wouldn't write this cigar off, but at a half to a third of the cost Opus is *ahem* a bargin.

Setting: My garage, cold but dry. My wife also called to inform me that she hit a patch of ice and bent her rim prior to me doing this review. :(

Great review, sorry to hear about the rim, but at least it was only the rim, right?

Yeah was the rim and her tire, the kicker is she bent my rim the week before in the same fashion :0 . I guess its just one of those things

As far as the GOF goes, I have one in the humi as well. I got a admit that I was some what suprised. It was almost like the cigar wanted to give me a little more, but didn't. It was sort of flat, if that makes sense. Everything I tasted was pretty straight forward, no depth and it never really changed. I wouldn't write this cigar off, but at a half to a third of the cost Opus is *ahem* a bargin.

A few BOTL's and I were discussing this the other night. It's a great $10 cigar; unfortunately it costs much more.

Guess I'm up ... Here's the review of the blind smoke I received from northernmoris a few weeks ago.

Let me start off by stating that I have seen very few cigars wrapped in white paper, and
definitely not this one, so right off the bat, its something I probably haven't smoked before.

Removal of the paper wrapper revealed a dark wrapped (no band underneath ... bah! half thought it would be there) 6 x 54(about) a little soft in spot or two, but otherwise pretty well packed.

Chopped this bad boy with an el-cheapo plastic cutter, toasted the end with my torch, and went to work. Right off the bat, I get a bit of a biting texture, but a very evident chocolate flavor which picked up a bit of dark coffee roast taste as I moved along. Maintained a bright white ash, and thick full smoke most of the way through.

Sadly I had to end it in the last 1/4 of the smoke, as the temperature was in the upper 20s, and the wind blowing, I couldn't feel much of my face, much less taste the cigar.

Was a nice med-full smoke. Knew I didn't have this smoke before, and the paper wrapper threw me completely ... so keep from embarrassing myself ... no guess at the time.

What was it ... sure you can go out on the web and search, but I'll be back later this evening with pics & the reveal.

Thanx...

Here's the pics to go along with my review:

c1jz4.jpg

c2zk5.jpg

First of all a Big thanks to Breedy for the Great sticks.

My Camera is out of commision.

So the blind was a robusto of the Barrel aged La Aurora.

I thought the first third of the stick was very earthy with a medium body. By in large I am not a robusto size smoker, as I tend to be a quick smoker so the size burns a little fast for my liking. That siad, there was a little too much burnt umber for me. I found the cigar a little too much barrel and too little taste. Also, to note, I am a full body smoker for the most part.

The second 3rd saw the cigar opened up a little better with some more complex medium body flavors and an mellowing of the Burnt Umber and even Oak that I tasted before. I am not sure that I intended on picking up on the Oak Barreling that this cigar suggests, but some more pleasing notes where naturally evedent at this "sweet spot" of the cigar.

The last third was not so good. Again, I attribute some of this to the vitola and the fact that I am a quick draw smoker. The cigar turned far too aggressive, even after I slowed down to compensate. There was just an unpleasant taste of cigar nub and heat.

This was my second time smoking that cigar, I smoked one months ago when they first came out. I was not impressed then, and my feeling have not much changed. It was not a terrible dog rocket by any means, but would get an even 5 of 10. I of course encourage the idea that taste is subjective, so this is just my own humble 2 penny's.

The construction was good and the burn was even.
The rich color of the wrapper was very pleasing as well.
The pre light draw was very good.

Again, a big thanks to Breedy for letting me try that one again and for being a great BOTL.

Hello and welcome to 2009.

I started mine off well having received a package from Sam that include my blind cigar. I took it to my local B&M as I've been telling him about CP and the passes.

We examined the cigar like it was ming china. Immediately we knew it would be a good cigar as the construction looked fantastic. The cap on this cigar was perfect - another indication it was a well made cigar. The wrapper had a nice oily sheen and touch to it. I couldn't get a distinctive aroma at the foot or the head, but once I took my first draw - there was no mistaking the flavor . . . . ligero.

And I was in Heaven. Based on the size - at least six inches with a 50+ ring gauge (toro?) - I was guessing it was an LFD double ligero. I had one CAO LX2 a few weeks ago, and the one I tried was a smaller robusto. The cigar was so large, had such powerful and complex smell - that I was convinced of it being an LFD.

So I opened the guess up and - - - well I was close. It WAS the CAO LX2. I have already sought that cigar out as a great, complex and enjoyable smoke. I love it all - the taste and feel of the wrapper, the amount of smoke it gives off, it's great favor, etc. Still - I may have been experiencing "too much of a good thing<" as it was just a bit heavy toward the end (thus I think I'll go with a roubusto).

Many thanks Sam for the great blinder and the other hitchhikers.

John
100_2094.jpg

100_2095.jpg

100_2096.jpg

100_2098.jpg

Hello and welcome to 2009.

I started mine off well having received a package from Sam that include my blind cigar. I took it to my local B&M as I've been telling him about CP and the passes.

We examined the cigar like it was ming china. Immediately we knew it would be a good cigar as the construction looked fantastic. The cap on this cigar was perfect - another indication it was a well made cigar. The wrapper had a nice oily sheen and touch to it. I couldn't get a distinctive aroma at the foot or the head, but once I took my first draw - there was no mistaking the flavor . . . . ligero.

And I was in Heaven. Based on the size - at least six inches with a 50+ ring gauge (toro?) - I was guessing it was an LFD double ligero. I had one CAO LX2 a few weeks ago, and the one I tried was a smaller robusto. The cigar was so large, had such powerful and complex smell - that I was convinced of it being an LFD.

So I opened the guess up and - - - well I was close. It WAS the CAO LX2. I have already sought that cigar out as a great, complex and enjoyable smoke. I love it all - the taste and feel of the wrapper, the amount of smoke it gives off, it's great favor, etc. Still - I may have been experiencing "too much of a good thing<" as it was just a bit heavy toward the end (thus I think I'll go with a roubusto).

Many thanks Sam for the great blinder and the other hitchhikers.

John
100_2094.jpg

100_2095.jpg

100_2096.jpg

100_2098.jpg

Glad You liked it and the package, now that you made me look like a slaker I have to get mine reviewed and posted today. :whistling:

OK, here goes Gents. Sorry for the delay there has been a lot going on here lately.

I have been sitting on this review since before we found out the Wifey is pregnant and then everything went down hill from there. :laugh:

Anyway, this particular smoke looks to have a very nice Corojo wrapper, light oily sheen to it and smells very earthy, like grass more than just dirt. The wrapper is just beautiful, no large veins, very small throughout.
072.jpg

Pre light draw was very easy and nice thats where I caught my first taste. medium spice, a little peppery on the tongue. Now I can taste the grass I had smelled on the wrapper and in the foot. At first light I could tell this is going to be a robust complex smoke. It produced a nice amount of smoke that hung there for a bit just so I could enjoy more smells, very leathery tone and some nut hanging around.
074.jpg

This was a nice full bodied cigar throughout, I got a few burn issues about half way, nothing a little touch-up couldn't fix.
077-1.jpg

079-1.jpg

After half way it became a bit more woodsy and peppery, the leather came in a bit more toward the end. This is a nice smoke something I would like to put into my rotation.
080.jpg

Now the fun part, It mostly reminded me of the last La Aroma de Cuba I had so thats what I am going to say it was. It was about the exact size of it, Monarch I believe.

But was I so wrong................
081.jpg

This is definitely going into my rotation, thanks Bilder this was a lot of fun.

Sam

This stick sounds like it's not for the lite hearted. I'll have to give it a try.
Good review with good pic's.
Thanks Sam

This stick sounds like it's not for the lite hearted. I'll have to give it a try.
Good review with good pic's.
Thanks Sam

That it is not, it's definitely a powerful little thing. I had a good nicotine buzz for about an hour after that one.

Been wanting to get this review in for a couple weeks now but have not had the chance until last night.

Stopped by the club last night to visit with the local gang and decided it was time to smoke the blind stick.

It is a robusto size, dark brown wrapper that is well made. Used a punch on this one and gave it a nice draw before lighting. Draw was perfect and so I lit up and dove right in.

gallery_3861_47_17547.jpg

First impressions were that of nuts and chocolate with hints of spice. Nice mellow flavor and a decent amount of smoke that lingered in the air after each puff.

Through the first third the flavors held steady and I know now that this is probably a Nicaraguan stick of some kind. The flavors are screaming Nic at me, which is not a problem as I love Nicaraguan cigars. :thumbs:

gallery_3861_47_7774.jpg

The middle third the flavors taper off and I am not getting much other than a straight medium tobacco flavor. The ash is dark grey and is holding on pretty well. No relights or touch ups required for this cigar. The construction is as good as it gets.

gallery_3861_47_6645.jpg

The ash finally fell off about three minutes after this last photo was taken. The flavor remained a medium tobacco for the rest of the smoke. Overall it was a very nice cigar with excellent burn, but I kinda wish the flavor that I was met with at the beginning of the smoke would have held through. I am pertty sure this is a Nic cigar, but I cannot place my finger on exactly which one. Not as strong as most Nics I have smoked, but the flavor is pretty hard to deny.

And the verdict is.......

JOYA DE NICARAGUA!

I have never smoked any of their regular line before. Never would have guessed that this was one of theirs. Thanks for the chance to try one of these sticks. May have to pick up a 5er.

Well I wasn't expecting to be up at 4 in the morning but my son was feeling ill and by 5am everyone was fast asleep but myself. I decided to retire to my smoking area on the terrace with some coffee and give my blind review a twirl. I had been inspecting the cigar for a couple days noticing its very nice construction and firm in nature. The cigar was a Toro in size. I didn't measure but I would guess a 50 x 6.5. The wrapper was very dark and oily like an oscuro but not maduro or anything. There was one small vein running the length of the stick. The stick had a slight barnyard sweet scent to it and my guess was it was a Dominican or Honduran cigar from the bat. I am pretty sure I had never smoked it before but a bandless cigar can be very deceiving. I took some pictures under darkness cut the head and toasted the foot. The smell was nothing to write home about. The draw was perfect. The initial taste left some of the sweetness of the wrapper on my lips which I always enjoy. I would describe the smoke as medium strength upon retro haling through my nose. Flavors I would describe as woody and peaty. I would guess at this point that this cigar was mixed breed. Not exactly my cup of tea but enjoyable none the less. The ash held firm and was very white however this was difficult to asses in the near complete darkness. The cigar paired very well with my Killer Beans Guatemalan Antigua which is now the household favorite. I decided to ash an inch in. What I liked was the cone shaped embered tobacco that remained after the ash fell. The stick continued to smoke beautifully opening up in the beginning of the second third however remaining one dimensional in flavor. This cigar was actual a good strength for my morning stick. It was a very smooth smoke which I enjoy. My guess right now would be that this is a Gurkha. I took a picture at this point to document this at the halfway point. I really have no idea but I gotta say something. The strength and flavor toned down even more as I continued into the second third. I think I would have enjoyed a smaller ring gauge so I could taste the wrapper more. I wanted to see the band at this point but held myself back to continue the unbiased review and tasting. I got a hunch after a while more that this may be a CAO. However I don't know which one since I have smoked maybe one ever. The cigar was ending and the wrapper was coming apart so time to open the envelope.........

I guessed the brand right in the middle of the cigar! It's a CAO Soprano! Soldier I think 6 X 54. Thanks John for letting me play I really enjoyed this!

I got this from cigar.com "Named one of Cigar Aficionado Magazine’s Top 25 in 2005, the Sopranos starts with a dark and oily Brazilian maduro wrapper that is blended with tobaccos from Columbia, Nicaragua and Honduras. The Sopranos has a sweet flavor that entails hints of cinnamon and nuts."

BlindReview002.jpg

BlindReview007.jpg

BlindReview013.jpg

BlindReview018.jpg

BlindReview020.jpg

BlindReview021.jpg

BlindReview023.jpg

BlindReview024.jpg

Good review Robbie. I've smoked a couple of less expensive CAO's and they were just ok. I guess it's time I move up the ladder a few steps and try a Sopano.
Thanks
Tom

Glad you got some enjoyment out of it Robbie - especially at 5 a.m.

I sensed you liked 'em "dark and oily" - but then again who doesn't :)

John

Glad you got some enjoyment out of it Robbie - especially at 5 a.m.

I sensed you liked 'em "dark and oily" - but then again who doesn't :)

John

That's right John. I like my cigars like I like my women, dark and sweet!
It was great to enjoy that smoke at 5 am. With a 2 year old you don't get much downtime unless it's really late or really early.

AllllRighty then...

I got my cigars from David (Sweetrice80) He sent brought me a three sticks. Two banded and one to review. So here it goes.

I was thrown a little at first. It was dark brown, almost mocha. Size was roughly 5.5" X 48-50 rg. At first it looked familiar, maybe a VSG, but had a pigtail cap and was not a box press, so I thought, a LFD Oscuro. It had an Earthy draw and when I lit it, I tasted an earthy flavor with a little spice and leathery undertones. I t had ample smoke and a nice burn to it.

VSG1.jpg

As I smoke it, I noticed a very familiar taste and a peppery flavor took over. Very similar to the VSG, but it was not a box press like the VSG so I started going back to the idea of the LFD. As I continued, I enjoyed it very much. Strong body, flavor and good smoke as well as a true burn.

VSG2.jpg

All and all a very good smoke. I opened the envelope and Damn! It was a VSG. It must have been a Robusto. Not a size of VSG that I smoke, but the flavor was there. The cap through me as well. Nice hit...

Thanks for letting me play.

Ok, here is the situation here Andy, when I heading to your house to hand you the cigars. I brought the envelop with me, and I must of had an VSG band in my pocket from the past. Because when I came home and empty my pockets I found the band of the cigar I gave you in my pocket and I swore that I put it in the envelop. I guess I did put something in there, which happens to be the VSG. However that cigar you smoked was actually a Cruzado Domenicos Corona Gorda :sign:

David