• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Petit Corona 1970’s

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s to be a beautiful day with the temperature getting close to 80F. This morning started off a little cool with the gauge on the back porch reading 60F, however I can already feel the heat of the sun warming up the ground and air. The sky is a clear blue and only a slight breeze is coming through. I felt like having a Bolivar this morning (imagine that) and decided on a 1970’s Petit Corona I was gifted by an excellent BOTL a little while back.

I put the 70’s PC against an ’08 to see the difference, and what a difference there is. The older cigar is quite pale and a bit shorter. I also see the gauge is smaller as well. Maybe it has shrunk over the past thirty or forty years. The band is also a slight bit further down from the cap on the older PC.

It looks as if this Bolivar PC has lost all its oils as the wrapper is a pale grayish color and very delicate to the touch. I carefully punched the cap and did get a small crack right below the cap, however nothing major. The draw was perfect with a musty taste of very aged tobacco.

I torched the foot, took a couple of puffs, and found the initial taste to be very good with a nice nutty flavor and a hint of cocoa. My first full draw had a very mild body with no spice detectable, however the flavor was definitely there. There was a very nice toasted nut taste with hints of cocoa and wood. The finish was also very good, but short on the palate.

The burn was sharp with a whitish gray ash that held strong for about an inch and a half. I found the smoke continued to be quite mild through most of the first half, but with the same good flavors coming through. I’d say around the halfway mark this cigar really transformed and a faint white pepper spice appeared with the smoke turning to a good medium body. I started tasting a true Bolivar profile with rich cocoa, coffee, and black licorice flavors coming through. There was a very nice complexity to the smoke with other very rich flavors coming across the palate that seemed very well balanced. The finish went from somewhat short to very long and exquisite in taste, lasting on the palate.

Towards the end I actually could feel my head swim a little as there was a fairly good strength in the now medium to full bodied smoke. Flavors were just fantastic and seemed complex to my palate with the finish very thick and rich, lasting well after exhaling. This was an amazing experience, smoking what is my favorite marca and vitola with such age. Thank you most sincerely for this!

04-18-09BoliPC70s002.jpg

04-18-09BoliPC70s001.jpg

04-18-09BoliPC70s003.jpg

04-18-09BoliPC70s004.jpg

DSC02439.jpg

LINKY <---- I could not get this thing to work right for nuttin!

Nice Review Greg and good to see that Kitty made it back to help with the reviews too. :)

Art

Excellent review greg! You never let me down with these reviews! Thank you.

Jim

Great review! I had my first pre-98 handmade a few weeks ago (thanks, Brian!) and was impressed by the smoothness and roundness without any mustiness these can achieve with extended age.