• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bourbon Distilleries

golfgar

Bueller.... Bueller...... Anyone....... Anyone?
I am headed to Louisville and the surrounding area next week and would like to visit 3 of the distilleries.  I only have time for three and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions.  My favorite bourbons come from 4 Roses and Buffalo Trace, but those might not be the best tours or visits.  A friend of mine said the Makers Mark tour was good and I'm thinking about going there and dipping my own bottle other than that I am wide open to suggestions, because what I like to drink may not be the best places to go.

Haven't gone myself so this is what I have heard. The BT hard hat tour and 4R are both good tours. I know some places just did a lot of work to their visitor centers so offer good experiences. Wild Turkey and Heaven Hill should be worth looking into.

Oh and Jim Rutledge will be retiring the end of the month so might want to meet him while you can.

My Brother and I did the Maker tour many years ago.  It was a good tour.  I need to check to see when my barrel will be ready.  I think I still have a few years.

A couple of years ago I did the Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Woodford tours in about 4 or 5 hours.  It's only about a 10 to 15 minute drive from one to the next.  From what I can remember I didn't get to see any of the operation at Four Roses.  I did get to see some operations at Wild Turkey and quite a bit at Woodford.  Being a small distillery they do a lot by hand.

I didn't think that Wild Turkey was impressive other than its monstrous size.  Buffalo Trace and Woodford are both great places to visit.  In fact, the way that Woodford is situated in horse country is really cool.  Buffalo Trace has a great setup.  I have not been to Maker's Mark or Heaven Hill.  Bardstown, where Heaven Hill is located, is a great place though.  Have fun.

I thought the Four Roses tour was the best one of the one's we went to when we were there earlier this summer.  

When will you be down here?  They all offer pretty good tours now.  BT is free and is good tour for the price.  The hard hat tour has limited reservations. From there you can head to woodford or 4R pretty easily.  4R has a full tour now and a good tasting.  If you go the other direction towards Maker's you can hit up Willett on the way.  In town there are a couple of good experiences as well.  The Evan Wiliams Experience downtown and the old Stitzel Weller (Bulleit) now gives tours.  If you have time for a drink or smoke one evening give me a shout...I have a little Bourbon to share.

We (my 23 year old daughter and my 14 year old daughter) went to Bulleit and the gate was chained shut so I guess they weren't giving tours that day.  Then we went to the Four Roses warehouse and just did a tasting.  It was fine, but the woman who gave the talk about the bourbon was from Arnold MO, which is really close to where I live in St. Louis County.  She had only been \there for a few weeks and really was just a tasting host. 

The we visited Buffalo Trace, nice place, good guide and good tasting.  I wish we could have taken one of the more in-depth tours but it wasn't in cards for this time.  I would certainly go back there again.  Fireball!

Only in bourbon country for a day, and really didn't have time for more.  Thank you all very much for the input.

We (my 23 year old daughter and my 14 year old daughter) went to Bulleit and the gate was chained shut so I guess they weren't giving tours that day. Then we went to the Four Roses warehouse and just did a tasting. It was fine, but the woman who gave the talk about the bourbon was from Arnold MO, which is really close to where I live in St. Louis County. She had only been \there for a few weeks and really was just a tasting host.

The we visited Buffalo Trace, nice place, good guide and good tasting. I wish we could have taken one of the more in-depth tours but it wasn't in cards for this time. I would certainly go back there again. Fireball!

Only in bourbon country for a day, and really didn't have time for more. Thank you all very much for the input.

NICE!:D
Had I been around two years ago, I would have jumped up and down and told you if you had time to only go to one, you HAVE to go here!

Went to Angels Envy 2 weeks ago on vacation. I enjoyed it very much. I'd never had their bourbon before, it was awesome

Did the Buffalo Trace one twice as part of a conference we did. Once for the planning session and then for the actual conference. Saw them putting the finishing touches on the Blanton bottles, the stoppers especially were great with the little die-cast horses. Plus we got plenty of samples as well as their chocolate bourbon balls!

NICE!:D
Had I been around two years ago, I would have jumped up and down and told you if you had time to only go to one, you HAVE to go here!

I just wish we could have gone on the more extensive tour but with an underage person we were limited to the general tour and still it was really good. The only nasty part was the Fireball section. LOL. Smelled awful but it is my understanding it is a cash cow for them.

Their Rye is ridiculous.

If I see some I will buy it and give it a try. I remember when just about the only commonly available rye was Old Overholt. That's what was available at the places I frequented 10 + years ago.

If I see some I will buy it and give it a try. I remember when just about the only commonly available rye was Old Overholt. That's what was available at the places I frequented 10 + years ago.

It's quite a bit more than their regular line. I think it runs about $80 a bottle, but is worth it.

It's quite a bit more than their regular line. I think it runs about $80 a bottle, but is worth it.
They make it once a year so that's why it's hard to find. The guy was saying sept/oct this year so keep your eyes peeled in a few months and overbuy if you find it because I know someone who would buy your extras (this guy)..... also the tasting room at their facility was out of it sooooo.....