• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabaiguan Guapo 46 Maduro

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Been a little under the weather the past few days, baby girl and myself, basically having what she calls the sniffles. After a good, long night’s sleep I woke up feeling much better this morning so decided to bundle up and have a smoke with a fresh brewed cup of coffee out on the back porch. It’s not so bad out with temps in the mid 40’s, however there’s a fairly strong breeze blowing with the sky mostly cloudy, rather miserable looking with everything wet from having rained the past day or so.

I picked out a Cabaiguan Guapo 46 maduro that was received back in July last year from my buddy Jimmy (Jimmyhaze), who I haven’t seen around lately and hope all is well with him. The cigar has a very coarse, leathery looking maduro wrapper with rough looking prominent veins running the length. There seems to be some tooth with only slight oils showing. It has a good weight, firm when squeezed except for a fairly soft spot right in the middle. I punch the cap with the largest ring on my knife and find a perfect draw with taste of raisin coming through.

After torching the foot and getting a good, even burn going, I take a few quick puffs and then a slow, long draw. There’s a medium peppery spice that comes through initially with the smoke itself a good medium strength. Wood, leather, and sweet golden raisin are the flavors coming through, somewhat rich on the palate with a semi-lasting finish.

The burn is sharp through the first third with a medium gray ash forming that holds well until tapped off. However, heading into the halfway mark the fire hits that soft spot previously mentioned and the cigar wants to go out on me. I puff constantly to try to keep it going and then purge, the cigar stays lit however there’s not much smoke being produced. Flavors are quite bitter and has a charred tobacco taste, not all that good.

Even though there are issues with the burn, it stays decent enough, not requiring any touching-up. Through most of the halfway mark I have to puff and purge quite a bit, then into the final third the cigar gets back to good medium strength smoke flowing well with a decent amount of mild spice hitting the tongue and throat. Flavors are now back and quite good, taste of worn leather, sweet raisin and vanilla on the palate with a semi-lasting finish.

In the final third, there still seemed to be some tunneling going on as there were visible empty spaces down in the ash after tapping it off. However, plenty of medium to almost full strength smoke flowed well through the perfect draw with flavors quite rich and the finish becoming much more lasting on the palate. If not for the burn issues, which I’ve actually found to be quite common in a lot of the Guapo smokes, this would’ve been a really good smoke.

DSC05974.jpg

01-23-10CabGuapo46Mad001.jpg

01-23-10CabGuapo46Mad002.jpg

01-23-10CabGuapo46Mad003.jpg

Love these smokes, even though I'm not a big maduro fan. Great mix of flavors, as you say without being overly strong. I've had tunneling issues on a couple, too, but that won't keep me away from them.

Thanks for the review!

John

Love the maduro version of these smokes however just like you I found there to be burn issues with most of them.

Great review Greg! I meant to pick up a couple of these when I saw them at a local B&M recently, but forgot in my excitement about the plethora of other great finds. Oh well, all the more reason to go back. Now I really want to give this a try!

Ya I have had Cabaiguan 's that smoke perfectly and the next one be un-smokable. It's too bad cause when they smoke good they are creamy and delicious.

I Just finished smoking one and the burn and construction were perfect and great flavors all the way through. Very good cigar. Time to find more!