• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar choice for 4th of July

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
This has been floating around in my head for a while. Would you smoke a Cuban cigar on July 4th? I ask because in celebrating the birth of America, it seams counter intuitive, to me, to smoke a cigar made in a communist country. I know many love Cuban cigars and I acknowledge to each their own, but I don’t see that as appropriate. What are your thoughts? I’m planning on smoking something from the DR or an FSG.

I’ll have a CAO America. Rocky Patel freedom and Alec Bradly American classic are a couple that come to mind.

I don't see it as a problem. Considering the president at the time, who instituted the embargo, and was a war hero, sent out an advisor to buy all the Upmann petite coronas he could find in the D.C. area before the embargo went into effect.

Doc

Last edited:
If I had a serious philosophical problem smoking Cuban cigars, I like to think I'd never smoke them vs. choosing one day to abstain. That said, my bday is on the 4th and I always have a hard time deciding what to smoke. I've still got a crusty old Opus Phantom from Carlito but might save that till my 50th next year. Probably some combination of Fundadore, Opus Angel's Share, PL Sobresaliente, or Illusione H-Town Lancero. Pretty good chance I'm going to start the day with one of those 40 year old RyJ coronas!

I find that it is a bit too warm to smoke during the 4th, even during the evening. Nothing like smoking a special cigar while sweat is dripping off you! If I'm grilling or outside I'll just smoke a Fuente or Padron especially if I have to chuck it.

I don't see it as a problem. Considering the president at the time, who instituted the embargo, and was a war hero, sent out an advisor to buy all the Upmann petite coronas he could find in the D.C. area before the embargo went into effect.

Doc
Well put.

I mean if we were celebrating our Independence from Cuba then yeah, I'd be willing to abstain on that day. But we're not, so I say go for something extra special! Country of origin shouldn't hold ya back IMO.

Agree with this.

I was thinking, definitely pre-Embargo, probably Monty No1, or Por Larranaga Cedro Deluxe... (both are in my drybox)

If the weather cooperates I’ll know what I’m smoking after I open the cabinet and no; origin will have nothing to do with it.

Spending some quality time going through the cabinet. Checking smokes that I haven't looked at for a long time. Reminded myself about some really cool stuff I've got aging. Had to drag one of these out; 2007 Casa Fuente we picked up in Vegas on one of our trips. Great memories, great smoke...!! More to follow.

20180704_132212.jpg

D5AD8347-DAFA-48ED-A3B5-34E1FEACAF8B.jpeg
Strong. Spicy. Tasty. Over priced. Worth trying if you can get it during a sale. At $12 for a Robusto it has much competition but if you can get it on sale for like $8-9 on say, a holiday sale then it’s worth it. I thought it tasted good but the reviews are mixed.

Here's to liberation...in general...

jKIkQCO.jpg

Once the sun started setting was a little more bearable outside. Yesterday's cigar was a Tatuaje The JV13, this is the second one I've smoked and was really impressed how this cigar has aged.