• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigarpass Book Thread

Started the latest Clive Cussler book, "The Gray Ghost", today. The old man is getting brazen with his cameos. He used to just be the "coral-eyed" deus ex-machina with the peculiar name who looked oddly familiar...

IMG_2722.jpg

I've read a lot of Cussler's books but they have been off my radar for a while. I disliked the cameos because they pulled me out of the story.

Working on book six of The Expanse series. Still loving it. My favorite was probably Book 4 but all have kept me interested and entertained (albeit a bit slow at the beginning).

Working on book six of The Expanse series. Still loving it. My favorite was probably Book 4 but all have kept me interested and entertained (albeit a bit slow at the beginning).
Nemesis Games and Babylon's Ashes were both pretty dark, but awesome. That's where I've had to leave off... book seven, Persepolis Rising doesn't come out in paperback until the fall, and like a moron, I bought all the rest in paperback. I can't have a mismatched series, even if it means waiting an extra year...

I've read a lot of Cussler's books but they have been off my radar for a while. I disliked the cameos because they pulled me out of the story.

I've read all of his books over the years. I prefer the Isaac Bell series because they have a bit more of a historical base to them -- there's a limit to how far the author can realistically go given the time/era parameters, unlike modern stories where they can make up any of the tech he wants to. I enjoyed the cameo the first time or two. It added a bit of an "are you paying attention" moment to the story for me, but these latest ones where he's outright naming himself are getting a bit too much. You aren't really missing anything, though. Same basic plot with different character names.

I've always enjoyed Cussler, especially the Fargo adventures, when I just want a mindless fun book to read.

Right now I am going through the Bill O'Reilly "The Killing Of" Series. Regardless of political affiliation or personal thoughts on his behaviour, I started reading this series prior to any revelations, I find them to be very well thought out and written. I am have been very impressed by the level of detail and writing style. I have read Killing Lincoln, Killing Patton, Killing Kennedy and am currently reading Killing the Rising Sun. I enjoy Historical literature and found Killing Patton and Killing the Rising Sun to be outstanding. If you are a history buff who enjoys reading these are excellent.

Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy. A deck building guide and a book I think titled The One Thing. Please do spoil the end of any of these 3 books.

I just finished "The President Is Missing", by Slick Willy Clinton and Robert Patterson. It was an alright book, but it's easy to spot where the authorship/influence divisions are. This is also the fourth Patterson book I've read recently, and I've come to realize I just don't really care for his writing style. RWYL/LWYR

Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy. A deck building guide and a book I think titled The One Thing. Please do spoil the end of any of these 3 books.

Who do you envision in your mind as Jack Ryan when you read Clancy? Who do you envision as John Clark?

There's only one correct answer for Jack Ryan, and that is, of course, Harrison Ford.

I picture early Clark (Without Remorse) as a younger Mel Gibson, and "regular older" JC as contemporary Bruce Campbell (just in appearance and stature, not necessarily B-movie schlock acting. :D ).

Who do you envision in your mind as Jack Ryan when you read Clancy? Who do you envision as John Clark?

There's only one correct answer for Jack Ryan, and that is, of course, Harrison Ford.

I picture early Clark (Without Remorse) as a younger Mel Gibson, and "regular older" JC as contemporary Bruce Campbell (just in appearance and stature, not necessarily B-movie schlock acting. :D ).

Since this thread just got bumped, I saw this post.
I think Liev Schreiber did a good JC, would be interested to see his take on Without Remorse.

Absolutely Harrison Ford. I don’t know who I think of when I think of Clark. Maybe a Charles Bronson with a few extra pounds.
Now who do you think of when you think of Jack Jr? That guy whose doing those shows on Amazon is not the guy I think off.

Absolutely Harrison Ford. I don’t know who I think of when I think of Clark. Maybe a Charles Bronson with a few extra pounds.
Now who do you think of when you think of Jack Jr? That guy whose doing those shows on Amazon is not the guy I think off.
Jack Jr: When reading in my mind, I see Marco Andretti. I don't know why, but that's the face/image that comes to mind. I think Chris Pine did a good job with what he had to work with in "Shadow Recruit", and I believe he would make a great Jack Jr. (rather than trying to reboot him as Senior). He's the right age, and if the series took off he'd age along with the character as the books progress.

Since this thread just got bumped, I saw this post.
I think Liev Schreiber did a good JC, would be interested to see his take on Without Remorse.

Schreiber was good, but he's just not how I see JC, personally. He's also way too old now for Without Remorse (which I hope they actually make and don't American Assassin-ate it...), as would be Mel Gibson. :D

Schreiber was good, but he's just not how I see JC, personally. He's also way too old now for Without Remorse (which I hope they actually make and don't American Assassin-ate it...), as would be Mel Gibson. :D

They'll cast Tom Hardy or change JC to a girl.
*I have no faith in Hollywood.

They'll cast Tom Hardy or change JC to a girl.
*I have no faith in Hollywood.

Actually, Tom Hardy could pull it off. His brooding screen presence fits that JC perfectly, and even though he's older than Clark/Kelly is written, I think he could make it believable. He really can act, too, believe it or not. Have you ever seen "Bronson" (Gentleman Sausage warning, if you haven't)?

Actually, Tom Hardy could pull it off. His brooding screen presence fits that JC perfectly, and even though he's older than Clark/Kelly is written, I think he could make it believable. He really can act, too, believe it or not. Have you ever seen "Bronson" (Gentleman Sausage warning, if you haven't)?

I've not seen it. I typically stay away from his films.

Since JC goes incognito as a Russian, maybe there's a young Eastern Bloc actor that could do it. Basically anyone that isn't this decade's Nick Cage or Jude Law....lol