• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigarpass Book Thread

Come'on

by "queue" you mean, Hop on Pop, 1 Fish 2 fish, and the Cat in the Hat.....

T
Whoa there killer, don't get ahead of me. I've got to get through my "regular" books before I start on the novels.

I just started "The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride" by Daniel James Brown. It's about the ill fated Donner Party's saga of 1846, written from the perspective of a young bride making the trip from Missouri to California.

Oh man...is it a mystery book? I wonder how that one ends.

Just finished Fearless again...that book tears me up. Such a great story.

I was handed "Fargo Rock City", haven't started it yet, but looking forward to it.

A Study in Scarlett, by Doyle, which is the first Holmes story. Don't recall reading it before but that could just be a blessing ala early Alzheimer's.

Jefferson's America, by Julie M. Fenster. Mostly about the Louisiana Purchase. Highly recommended. Well done academic work.

After finally getting into "The Expanse" on SyFy, I've started reading the books. Really good space opera if you're into that sort of thing.

I've read way more than I can actually recall recently. Two that really stand out are "No Is A Four Letter Word" by Chris Jericho, and "The Mechanic's Tale" by Steve Matchett (former Benetton Formula One team mechanic). I finished "Hail To The Chin" by Bruce Campbell yesterday, and I'm about halfway through "Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way" now. It's just ok...

I've read way more than I can actually recall recently. Two that really stand out are "No Is A Four Letter Word" by Chris Jericho, and "The Mechanic's Tale" by Steve Matchett (former Benetton Formula One team mechanic). I finished "Hail To The Chin" by Bruce Campbell yesterday, and I'm about halfway through "Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way" now. It's just ok...
Bruce Campbell? As in the crappy B movie star? (For the record I happen to like crappy B movies.)

Edgar Cayce, "My life as a Seer" - part auto part biography. Very interesting story. I love the time period (turn of the 20th century) and will read almost anything from or about it. Very similar in many ways to current events. Technology was drastically changing human perspective and war was in the air, so to speak. But humans were humans, which is both good and bad.
Cayce was unusual in that he never witnessed his own readings nor recollected them. But they were recorded and witnessed by many and were quite remarkable, whatever one makes of them.

John Grisham, "The Street Lawyer" - still reading it but I always liked his writing style.

Sweet! I didn't realize he'd written more after "If chins could kill." If you haven't read that one I highly recommend it.

Sweet! I didn't realize he'd written more after "If chins could kill." If you haven't read that one I highly recommend it.

I'm exactly 53% through ICCK right now. :) It's really good, and HTTC is a direct successor in all ways. "Make Love" is pretty much a Bruce Campbell B-movie in print. It's a novel, not an autobiography of any sorts.

Ashley's War by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon. It's about the spin-up of the Army's Cultural Support Teams (CSTs) in Afghanistan in mid-2011. The idea was to assign females to special operations units to help wrangle/glean tactical intel from women and children during operations. Overall the program was a success, however the book largely focuses on the first casualty, 1LT Ashley White-Strumpf. It has added significance for me, as I did a tiny bit of work with these soldiers that summer.

On the whole, I highly recommend the book. The author's description of special operations can be a little erroneous & clunky, but she captures the story effectively. Even though I knew how it would end, the last third was a little difficult to get through.

Any of you history buffs, want to recommend a book or two?
Depends on what era you're interested in I suppose. I'll always recommend--to anyone who will listen-- Robert B. Strassler's The Landmark Thucydides. The history of the Peloponnesian War can be a bit difficult to digest, but Strassler's margin notes and maps help a lot.

Currently re-reading Daniel P. Bolger's Why We Lost. It's a relevant critique on American military operations since 2001, but in the prologue he successfully crystalizes some missteps from 1990 that we're still paying for to this day.