• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Double Corona EL 2003

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It was really nice out today with sun shining and little wind. I threw some stew beef in the crock pot this morning around 10:00 a.m. to slow cook for about six hours, so by the afternoon I still had plenty of time to go out and enjoy a nice smoke. After rummaging around I found one of the smokes my baby girl got hold of not long ago, a Cohiba DC EL ’03.

Other than the apparent cracks in the wrapper, the cigar was still in one piece. It may be hard to tell from the pictures, however the wrapper on this thing not only looked like worn leather, but it was very thick and felt like leather. I carefully punched the cap and found the draw perfect. Torching the foot, the aroma of the smoke flowing from the new formed ash was incredible. I could already tell this was going to be a good one.

As I took my first draw, air came through the crack in the head of the cigar, but I was still able to get a good amount of smoke out. Oh and what wonderful smoke it was! Smooth, thick, fantastically rich smoke of deep, dark roasted hazelnuts and coffee. A perfect amount of black pepper spice tickled the back of the throat, and a delicious sweet cocoa and leather, old and worn, came through when exhaling through the mouth and nose.

The flavors continued on and seemed to become even more rich the further in I got with this smoke. Rich roasted nuts, old leather, and a dark, sweet chocolate. There was tons of smoke that continuously poured from this thing, burning as perfect as it could with the many cracks throughout the wrapper. I know it was a good hour and a half of smoking this cigar, and I was actually disappointed that I had gotten down to the nub on it. This was without a doubt one of the top five cigars I’ve smoked to date.

11-23-08CohibaDCEL03001.jpg

11-23-08CohibaDCEL03002.jpg

11-23-08CohibaDCEL03003.jpg

11-23-08CohibaDCEL03004.jpg

11-23-08CohibaDCEL03005.jpg

11-23-08Imported137.jpg

Great review!

I think it's a testimony to excellent construction that this cigar was able to hold together and smoke so well with that kind of damage. Way to "never say die!"

~Boar

Must... find.... must ... smoke...

You make them look so tasty! :thumbs:

Thanks for the review Greg! I have 2 in deep sleep only to come out on my 50th B'day :)

Great review Greg! This is one of my favorite cigars of all time.

Another great review Greg!! Out of curiosity, did you do anything to the cigar to prevent further unraveling prior to smoking? Would dampening the body where the wrapper had started to peel do any good or should you just light it up and hope for the best?

Nice review and pics Greg :thumbs:

I have had a couple and have another single resting, but I wasn't all that enamored with the two I had. It was a good cigar no doubt, but I would take a RAG or SLR DC over it any day, especially at the prices the Cohiba is commanding these days.

Nice review Greg.
I'm glad the cigar smoked as well as it did considering the damage to the wrapper. The bunching of this cigar must have been spot on to still achieve a good burn. The flavor of these cigars are just superb. Very complex and leathery sweet with dusting of chocolate. I personaly like '03 EL over the '04 Sublime because of the smaller ring. Both are classics though.

Bob

I would try to repair with some gelatine or something before I fire it up for a nice smoke like this .But you were in luck to enjoy it.Great!

Fantastic review. I've heard that these are fantastic, and you just summed it up nicely. Thanks.