• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Siglo VI 2007

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Happy Father’s Day! I woke up to the smell of coffee brewing and bacon frying this morning, the wife had gotten up and was attempting to make breakfast, bless her soul. She admittedly isn’t that great in the kitchen, so I mentioned McDonald’s was right down the road, and approximately fifteen minutes later I was eating a sausage, egg, and cheese Mcmuffin. :D After eating, I decided to come out and have a smoke, which is the Siglo VI I received from Carlton (TheFridayCigar). I responded in his “Opus Forbidden X – Which one is this?” thread that I agreed a Siglo VI “…is a true gem.” Carlton responded if I wanted to try one with more than five years age, to send PM and he would give me the chance. Well of course I did send a PM and a trade was agreed upon, however he was unfortunately unable to find the ’04 Siglo VI, so sent this 2007.

The cigar has a smooth, golden brown wrapper with noticeable oil, one prominent vein running the length, and a triple cap on top. It feels a bit light in the hand and is very firm throughout, making a crunching sound when squeezed letting me know it’s just right for smoking. As I slide the cigar under the nose, I’m detecting only a slight tobacco smell, which is the same with sniffing the foot. I punch the cap and find the draw perfect with a somewhat muted tobacco taste coming through.

I put fire to the foot, which lights easily with plenty of bluish white smoke rolling from the forming embers. I take a few puffs and then a long draw, finding the smoke coming through very mild with little to no spice on the tongue and throat. I take a couple more long draws and the strength is still very mild with the taste quite bland on the palate. After a few more draws, I’m beginning to wonder about this cigar as there’s just no flavor at all as I exhale slowly through the mouth and nose, the finish has a somewhat bitter taste with no lasting flavor at all.

A third in and the cigar has an even burn with a medium gray ash forming that holds strong. Smoke is flowing effortlessly through the perfect draw and continues to be on the mild side with very little spice detected. I’m still not getting much flavor and am really focusing on trying to find some resemblance of a Cohiba profile, however it’s just not there. Bland and dry comes to mind as I exhale slowly, the finish is as previously described, somewhat bitter on the back and sides of the tongue.

I smoked the cigar down to about the halfway point, put it down to let it go out, and once out took it apart as I was very curious to see what was inside. Most of the tobacco was long filler; however there was some short filler as well.

Admittedly, I don’t smoke a lot of Cohibas, however the last two I have smoked were from 2007 (Esplendido and Siglo IV), and both were absolutely amazing cigars full of rich, robust flavors with a lasting finish. Being bland and bitter, the flavor of this Cohiba was just not what I expected, being nowhere near in flavor as the Espi/Siglo IV from the same year. In my experience so far, the taste I was getting seemed very familiar, which is that of very young tobacco. Or, maybe it was simply a dud. Regardless, this was not a good cigar.

06-20-10CohibaSigloVI001.jpg

06-20-10CohibaSigloVI002.jpg

DSC09896.jpg

DSC09898.jpg

DSC09905.jpg

DSC09904.jpg

Love the detail in your reviews, brother.

The Sig VI -- my opinion only -- needs several years of rest before they start coming into their own. I've had a few from 06 and early that were absolute knockouts. The ones I've smoked from 07 on -- and particularly the 08s -- have sucked ass.

I put fire to the foot, which lights easily with plenty of bluish white smoke rolling from the forming embers. I take a few puffs and then a long draw, finding the smoke coming through very mild with little to no spice on the tongue and throat. I take a couple more long draws and the strength is still very mild with the taste quite bland on the palate. After a few more draws, I’m beginning to wonder about this cigar as there’s just no flavor at all as I exhale slowly through the mouth and nose, the finish has a somewhat bitter taste with no lasting flavor at all.

A third in and the cigar has an even burn with a medium gray ash forming that holds strong. Smoke is flowing effortlessly through the perfect draw and continues to be on the mild side with very little spice detected. I’m still not getting much flavor and am really focusing on trying to find some resemblance of a Cohiba profile, however it’s just not there. Bland and dry comes to mind as I exhale slowly, the finish is as previously described, somewhat bitter on the back and sides of the tongue.

I hate to say this but that is exactly the same flavor profile as the fake Siglo VI Tubos I've purchased and smoked here in Iraq. Based on that description, I'm highly confident you got a fake.

Very surprised. The VI is one of my very favorites and since I only have one 04 box left of aged silgos I almost always smoke new tubos which I find to be flawless. I think I went over this in another posting but I have found Tubos to be a higher quality stick and smoke for that matter compared to the boxes. I think between most who chimed in we concluded it's was part psychological and mostly to do with sealed tubo packs being much less likely to be fakes. I would like to think the sticks selected for the VI tubos are selected with higher QC but odds are they are not. I can just say I have found the new VI tubos to be amazingly consistent and all around fantastic smokes. PM me if you might be interested in swapping one for a tubo. Curious what you think.

100_2242.jpg

I hate to say this but that is exactly the same flavor profile as the fake Siglo VI Tubos I've purchased and smoked here in Iraq. Based on that description, I'm highly confident you got a fake.

PM sent to Kingantz but I can attest that the cigar was from a full, sealed box purchased at a local retailer whose reputation I am confident in. I have also smoked many from the same box and found them to be on the milder side but still full of typical Cohiba flavour, not bitter or sour at all and without any of the youth of newer Siglo VI's.

Very surprised. The VI is one of my very favorites and since I only have one 04 box left of aged silgos I almost always smoke new tubos which I find to be flawless. I think I went over this in another posting but I have found Tubos to be a higher quality stick and smoke for that matter compared to the boxes. I think between most who chimed in we concluded it's was part psychological and mostly to do with sealed tubo packs being much less likely to be fakes. I would like to think the sticks selected for the VI tubos are selected with higher QC but odds are they are not. I can just say I have found the new VI tubos to be amazingly consistent and all around fantastic smokes. PM me if you might be interested in swapping one for a tubo. Curious what you think.

I feel the same way about Bolivar tubos, No. 2 is my favorite. I unfortunately have no Siglo VI, that was the only one. Carlton may trade one with ya. :D

Carlton felt the need to send me a PM and I quote, "My credibility as a new member has been compromised by your review (as in, "Hey guys! Look at this! This new guy sent me a fake and/or young Cohiba and told me otherwise." I in know way reviewed this cigar with the intention of saying any of this and do not appreciate the insinuation. I reviewed this cigar while smoking it, and was honest in every aspect. My conclusion was that it was simply a dud, no more no less.

He also went on to say, "...my short few weeks here at CP have not been a positive experience. I've been accused of spamming on this forum because I included a link to my blog in my signature (which is something other members like yourself do). There seems to be a heightened sensitivity to scammers here at CP, which is understandable, but it also translates into an environment of "don't trust anyone who is new; it's their job to prove beyond a doubt that they're good guys, and anything suspicious probably means something bad". This is a serious problem for new members to CP. But the reality is that I'm a very honest, generous guy with absolutely no need to misrepresent myself or my intentions. Despite this, I don't feel very welcome at CP, and I think time is better spent elsewhere rather than defending my reputation here."

<sigh>

Carlton felt the need to send me a PM and I quote, "My credibility as a new member has been compromised by your review (as in, "Hey guys! Look at this! This new guy sent me a fake and/or young Cohiba and told me otherwise." I in know way reviewed this cigar with the intention of saying any of this and do not appreciate the insinuation. I reviewed this cigar while smoking it, and was honest in every aspect. My conclusion was that it was simply a dud, no more no less.

He also went on to say, "...my short few weeks here at CP have not been a positive experience. I've been accused of spamming on this forum because I included a link to my blog in my signature (which is something other members like yourself do). There seems to be a heightened sensitivity to scammers here at CP, which is understandable, but it also translates into an environment of "don't trust anyone who is new; it's their job to prove beyond a doubt that they're good guys, and anything suspicious probably means something bad". This is a serious problem for new members to CP. But the reality is that I'm a very honest, generous guy with absolutely no need to misrepresent myself or my intentions. Despite this, I don't feel very welcome at CP, and I think time is better spent elsewhere rather than defending my reputation here."

<sigh>

I think his skin was a bit too thin. At least he didn't implode or explode before he left.

Maybe Kingantz had an off day tasting due to diet, allergies or a cold?
Is it possible that the cigar suffered from poor storage conditions?
Is it possible the retailer deals in grey market or counterfiet cigars?
...or maybe it was just a dud.

All reasonable questions. Too bad thefridaycigar is unwilling to learn from this experience; it might help him avoid similar problems in the future.

He also went on to say, "...my short few weeks here at CP have not been a positive experience. I've been accused of spamming on this forum because I included a link to my blog in my signature (which is something other members like yourself do).

That is not at all true. He was accused of being a spammer because he was using the status updates to plug his blog. I believe the status was something to the effect of "Just smoked a PSD4, review on spam4lyfe.com." I checked the review forum, and there was no sign of the review here. Checked his 'topics' to see if maybe he posted it somewhere else, and it wasn't there.

Unlike you, and most others with a link in their sig, your reviews are here. And if he couldn't tell the difference, thanks for coming, get home safe.