• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Conn. Broadleaf ???

LeRoy W. Lee

Southern Charmer...
Hello all. I need your help please for a short, practical explanation of what a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper is. Is it a maduro as I've heard, a darker richer maduro, not necessarily a maduro, etc.? Also, what other cigars is it used in making? Thanks & Best, piedpiper62

It's a thick, dark, oily leaf grown in the sun, packs a lot of flavor, and is typically used in maduros.

ETA: The leaf itself is not a "Maduro"..... To get to the stage of being a maduro, the leaf must age and ferment, ie., it doesn't come out of the ground as a maduro. Maduro doesn't refer to a type of leaf, it refers to a type of curing..... But yes, you are correct in that they are used for darker cigars.

Last edited:
"Connecticut Broadleaf has long been used for machine-made cigars, but lately premium cigar makers have been turning to Broadleaf for the flavorful qualities it possesses. General Cigars, Avo, and other major brands are now starting to market broadleaf maduros, and they’ve already been a hit worldwide. Maduro cigars typically include either broadleaf wrappers from Connecticut or Mexican wrappers. You can identify a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper quickly though by looking at its texture: if it’s oily and veiny, chances are you’re smoking Connecticut Broadleaf." Cigar Inspector

Read more: http://www.cigarinspector.com/cigar-wrappers-a-z/connecticut-broadleaf#ixzz5FtOprspu
Follow us: @CigarInspector on Twitter | CigarInspector on Facebook

Hello all. I need your help please for a short, practical explanation of what a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper is. Is it a maduro as I've heard, a darker richer maduro, not necessarily a maduro, etc.? Also, what other cigars is it used in making? Thanks & Best, piedpiper62

LeRoy I like your curiosity. Please keep asking questions. This place is the right place for educating new smokers.