• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolest Birthday Gift

Nihon_Ni

真喜志友幸
A couple of years ago for my 50th my wife got us tickets to the 100th running of the Indy 500. That was a really great trip. I've followed IndyCar my whole life, watched the 500 literally from all over the world, but that was the first time I watched it in person.

A few months ago we were sitting on the deck talking about nothing in particular, and she asked if I would ever want to go again. After we kicked the idea around for a while we both kinda agreed to embrace new experiences and not do the same things over again. I had no idea she was phishing, but apparently she was.

This year she sent me to a half day Bertil Roos race car driving school this past weekend at a track near our home. I spent some time in class with professional racers learning the science of driving a race car, then had a chance to drive a street car on the track to learn the racing line before switching to the Formula 2000 cars for two racing sessions. Unbeknownst to me, my instructor for the day was a legendary British Olympian and motor racer, and one of the five women to ever compete in Formula 1: Divina Galica.

It was exihlerating, and I left the track soaked in sweat, with an adrenaline hangover, and memories of an exciting day that will never fade.

No how do I top that!?!?
IMG_6995.JPG IMG_7016.JPG IMG_7035 (2).JPG IMG_7044 (2).JPG

So cool my friend. That is one helluva good day!

Happy Birthday

That is awesome!! I’ve always wants to drive 200 mph but never had the track!!

Your wife was the right choice.

Let her know she is loved and surprise her with her dreams!!

Have fun enjoy!!

Not that I have anything against road head, I meant at some point, not necessarily in the car.

And it was a joke, sort of. He asked!

I know, I thought it was funny.

So cool! I wish I could still do track days and classes. I've always wanted to do an open-wheel class.

Are you going to 103 next year? I'm more than likely going again (was at 100th, as well, right across from Sebastian Bourdais's pit), though an old friend just hit me up to go to the 75th commemoration of Operation Overlord/D-Day next year, too. I can't swing both, so we'll see which way the bank account swings. If you do, I'd love to meet up.

*EDIT* I also have another forum acquaintance who works at the IMS museum. He said if we go on an "off" day when it is not busy, he'll take us to the basement and see all the cool stuff in storage. Last time we went on Carb Day and though he got us in and showed us a little bit, it was still incredibly packed.

That is awesome!! I’ve always wants to drive 200 mph but never had the track!!

I topped out at about 115 mph at this track at the end of a long straight (followed by a 90 degree corner). The staff said the Formula 2000 cars would do 125 mph but I didn't get that fast. There was a series of esses that was slower (maybe 80-90) but the speed rush there was insane. I've been faster than mach, but I've never experienced speed before the way I did through those ess turns.

So cool! I wish I could still do track days and classes. I've always wanted to do an open-wheel class.

Are you going to 103 next year? I'm more than likely going again (was at 100th, as well, right across from Sebastian Bourdais's pit), though an old friend just hit me up to go to the 75th commemoration of Operation Overlord/D-Day next year, too. I can't swing both, so we'll see which way the bank account swings. If you do, I'd love to meet up.

*EDIT* I also have another forum acquaintance who works at the IMS museum. He said if we go on an "off" day when it is not busy, he'll take us to the basement and see all the cool stuff in storage. Last time we went on Carb Day and though he got us in and showed us a little bit, it was still incredibly packed.

I'm not sure about 103, but meeting up at the museum during an off time is a great idea. We went to the museum the day before 100. They were already taking some of the cars out to the track when we were there, so I missed seeing a few things. I'd make a special trip for a behind the scenes tour!

I'm not sure about 103, but meeting up at the museum during an off time is a great idea. We went to the museum the day before 100. They were already taking some of the cars out to the track when we were there, so I missed seeing a few things. I'd make a special trip for a behind the scenes tour!
If I go, I'll make sure I let you know!